An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents

Caledonian Craig

15 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

They were rubbish and boring. They totally played anti-football. I had my Greece top 🇬🇷 on from the start and was in Greece for the Quarter final onwards. We got eventually got engaged and married in that wee village so we were on a bit of a journey with the Greek people. You don't give a fuck about quality football if you're supporting a team in a tournament 🤷🏻‍♂️

They certainly weren’t rubbish. Good you got to experience that.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

England didn't play magnificent football, they didn't need to. They deserved the 3 points.

The way that they pressed high and strangled the Croatia midfield has me slightly concerned.

That’s why I’d probably find a place for Gilmour on Friday, particularly if he doesn’t start tomorrow and we don’t get the job done. How negative of me! 

That Kalvin Phillips looks decent, but so do some of our lads.

Come on, Scotland!

49 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

That’s why I’d probably find a place for Gilmour on Friday, particularly if he doesn’t start tomorrow and we don’t get the job done. How negative of me! 

That Kalvin Phillips looks decent, but so do some of our lads.

Come on, Scotland!

Boo! Negativity! ;)

I think a unanimous opinion around here, that Gilmour should be in the first XI. 

He does. Rice also made a number of important interceptions.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:18 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Perspective and facts are what I deal in.

We have Taylor1996 showing a complete disregard of facts and knowledge here. The sort of attitude that cost Scotland dearly in 1978 and in later campaigns by taking teams far too lightly.

Lets have a look at facts here with regards England. They won their qualifying group at a canter by six points hammering the Czech Republic 5-0 on the way. They ended up scoring 37 goals in eight matches making them the most potent attack in the qualifying phase. All stats and facts. We qualified through the back door via a newly created route via play-offs and penalty shoot-outs. Show a bit of realism here eh?

Still not convinced? Harry Kane alone has scored 34 international goals whilst our entire squad can muster 35. Put a value on our squad compared to England's and I shudder to think what the difference would be. And transfer value is made by clubs across Europe so no English bias there like some might like to claim.

I have said it already on here and will say it again. Can we get a result at Wembley? Yes but we'd be relying on us putting in probably our best performance since Faddy's wonder goal give us a win in Paris against France well over a decade ago. We could also be helped by England under-performing. I'd be delighted if that happened but I am experienced enough of a Scotland fan not to dream too much.

I laugh when I hear Taylor1996 trying to talk down an England side whose squad is all playing at the highest level in the strongest league in Europe - and yes it is. Three clubs making the European club competition finals endorses that. At present we have ten players playing in the EPL and some playing in the Championship and majority in the SPL. Clubs buy the best when they can so tell me why so many of our SPL-based players have not been snapped up by EPL clubs? Simply because they don't value them enough above the players they already have. Clubs are in a results business so will only buy what they see will strengthen their squads.

Have a look around (and no not just the English websites) but even from European pundits and you'll all find the respect they have for the England side and far less so for the Scotland side. Of course English bias cheeses us off as its the attitude that comes with it but it is backed up in basis of reality. Our qualification for this tournament may be a one-off (I sincerely hope not) but fans seem to have conveniently forgotten the dreadful campaigns to qualify we have had of late whilst England have cruised through qualification. That says it all about the gulf there is between both nations.

With a great game plan, great performances across the pitch and great fight then of course anything is possible. However, lets not kid ourselves, whatever the result, we still have some way to go before we are on a level we were back in the 1980s and 90s when qualification was the norm.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:21 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Further evidence you are at it. I reckon you are trying to redeem your shattered reputation here by trying to appeal to people with an anti-English stance.

And you are living on a different planet saying they could easily have lost to Romania. England won 1-0, hit the post twice and had another penalty saved. They had more shots on goal than Romania. They had more shots on target than Romania. They had greater share of possession. They had better past success than Romania and more corners than Romania. Yet in your deluded world they could easily have lost. You are one seriously deluded individual. 

This is "Believing the hype 101."

Today, Graeme Souness and Gary Neville said that England are weak through the middle. Exactly what I said.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Pretty much sums up your contribution in this place.

I hear Pie and Bovril is nice at this time of year.

A grown man trudging up posts from weeks ago to give himself a pat on the back🤣🤣🤣

What have you contributed to the board out with multiple usernames and getting banned at least three times?

57 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

A grown man trudging up posts from weeks ago to give himself a pat on the back🤣🤣🤣

What have you contributed to the board out with multiple usernames and getting banned at least three times?

He contributed the articles from various European papers to show what neutrals thought of the game last night. 

Pretty good contribution in my opinion,and that was within he last two hours.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He contributed the articles from various European papers to show what neutrals thought of the game last night. 

He also recently went back 8 years to find a negative comment regarding Ryan Jack. 

8 years and 47 usernames ago. 

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He also recently went back 8 years to find a negative comment regarding Ryan Jack. 

8 years and 47 usernames ago. 

Is that when you said that Liam Bridcutt would have a better career than Ryan Jack?

This multi username shtick that you and your shadow keep bringing up. Change the bloody record.

The paranoid and inaccurate record has worn away.

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Yep.

But can it compare to "ffs" sandwiched between 5 laughing smilies, though? ;)

Can't compete with that.

28 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Is that when you said that Liam Bridcutt would have a better career than Ryan Jack?

This multi username shtick that you and your shadow keep bringing up. Change the bloody record.

The paranoid and inaccurate record has worn away.

Calm down Chripper. I’ll give you credit you have been less painful lately than you normally are.

A wee look at our opponents on Tuesday,

Croatia played a 4231 vs Czech Republic. After having a look at how we could exploit them, we need to drag Modric and Kovacik out of position through the middle especially if we line up with the same formation 3412 and the same squad vs England. This could be done with the space that they leave between Kramaric who plays as an attacking midfielder and their centre halfs. I fully expect John McGinn to find a lot of room in there to at least cause panic along their back line. We should be able to give their full back Sime Vrsaljko a torrid time with Robertson and Tierney, who are more than capable of hurting any national side. Where I feel they are strong, comes from their forward Petkovic and winger Ivanusec who are both decent players. The Croatian team know exactly whats expected of them, but other than their second half display against the Czechs haven't showed up to the finals....yet. I guess this comes down to who blinks first, fingers crossed our players fire us through and the Czechs gub England. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's amazing, he should add it to his CV

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

To be fair, i've been doing that on WhatsApp today to all the mates who said we'd get gubbed.

Taylor/TDK/etc has been pretty much spot on since the Euros started IMO. He's having a good tournament

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

To be fair, i've been doing that on WhatsApp today to all the mates who said we'd get gubbed.

Taylor/TDK/etc has been pretty much spot on since the Euros started IMO. He's having a good tournament

Eh no just no.

His predictions for us in Round 1 are visible on predictions thread. He said we would beat Czech, beat Emgland and draw against Croatia.

There is so much more he has been wrong about too as so many of us know on this group. But hey ho onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Eh no just no.

His predictions for us in Round 1 are visible on predictions thread. He said we would beat Czech, beat Emgland and draw against Croatia.

There is so much more he has been wrong about too as so many of us know on this group. But hey ho onwards and upwards.

Let’s just be thankful Steve Clarke listened to him about formations and the double pivot though

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Eh no just no.

Tell me again how "Harry Kane alone has scored 34 international goals whilst our entire squad can muster 35" again. 

And

"England side whose squad is all playing at the highest level in the strongest league in Europe - and yes it is. Three clubs making the European club competition finals endorses that. At present we have ten players playing in the EPL and some playing in the Championship and majority in the SPL"

Wow. Going by all that stats and facts I bet they gave Scotland a right good mauling. I must've dreamt the draw.

I am just hoping that, by losing the first game,  we haven’t put too much pressure on ourselves in this final game . The England game was always going to bring passion from the players and push them on , but we need to keep focus for this final game. 
I dont have stats to back anything up but I feel that we tend to have a bit of a slump after a good result like that. I think we caught England out after the Czech result, I dont think Croatia will take us so much for granted and this is a must win for them too. 

If we play to the same standard as Friday we absolutely can do this. An early goal would be a huge bonus, conceding an early goal would leave us a mountain to climb.