An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents

Caledonian Craig

GARETH SOUTHGATE pens opens letter to the nation ahead of the Euros: Playing for England is about much more than the result. It's about how we bring people together, how we inspire and unite

Gareth Southgate is a good man, but he's dealing with, what are essentially, white supremacists. 

I can't help but think what the black English players reactions will be as their matches kick off. 

Unless the broadcasters mute their microphones, England will be a laughing stock and it'll bring back shades of the 80s.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

GARETH SOUTHGATE pens opens letter to the nation ahead of the Euros: Playing for England is about much more than the result. It's about how we bring people together, how we inspire and unite

Gareth Southgate is a good man, but he's dealing with, what are essentially, white supremacists. 

I can't help but think what the black English players reactions will be as their matches kick off. 

Unless the broadcasters mute their microphones, England will be a laughing stock and it'll bring back shades of the 80s.

Fuck em, hopefully it’ll mess with their minds before we play them.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I hope our supporters who can be there show racism the red card and boo all England players equally whatever their ethnicity.

I hope we cheer the players taking a knee. 

J

On 6/9/2021 at 2:03 PM, Bristolhibby said:

I hope we cheer the players taking a knee. 

I hope our supporters respect the English players' kneeling ('taking the knee', yeuch, horrible American phrase) against racism and then boo them heartily thereafter. I'd never cheer anyone in an England jersey. Ever.

16 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I hope our supporters respect the English players' kneeling ('taking the knee', yeuch, horrible American phrase) against racism and then boo them heartily thereafter. I'd never cheer anyone in an England jersey. Ever.

Correct. Fuck any nicey nicey pish. Silence during the knees up or down. And then get right into them thereafter.

26 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Colin Hendry: "I'll tell you something now, with more my head than my heart: that game next Friday night is winnable. Very, very winnable."

100% correct.

According the "The Analyst" who use Opta stats, England are 9th favourites to win the entire thing. I'd actually that that's just about right.

Screenshot_20210611-151555_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not sure how these things are calculated but surely we ought to be above Finland?!

1 minute ago, Haggis_trap said:

^ If Scotland take 3pts off the Czechs (which wont be easy) then we will be going into the England game flying!

I am starting to believe, but it is the hope that kills you...

A win on Monday would be massive going into both remaining group games, obvious enough statement but just imagine the confidence which it'll bring, especially knowing how much is to play for with a good 3rd place finish.

2 minutes ago, in5omniac said:

A win on Monday would be massive going into both remaining group games, obvious enough statement but just imagine the confidence which it'll bring, especially knowing how much is to play for with a good 3rd place finish.

If we beat the Czechs on Monday we should be aiming for finishing better than 3rd in the group. Easier said than done to be fair. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

If we beat the Czechs on Monday we should be aiming for finishing better than 3rd in the group. Easier said than done to be fair. 

Agreed, but it's not a bad safety net to have.  Once out of the group we just rely on our infallible penalty shootout record :D 

21 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Not sure how these things are calculated but surely we ought to be above Finland?!

Ummm... I would think so.

But according to statistics, not so much. But footballers is played on a pitch, not a statistical table. ;)

15 minutes ago, in5omniac said:

Agreed, but it's not a bad safety net to have.  Once out of the group we just rely on our infallible penalty shootout record :D 

I'd be happy for us to stink the place out all the way to the final with 10 men across the goal line. :lol: Worked for Greece in 2004.

2 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I was in Greece from the quarters that year. Was fucking amazing. The night they won it is a bit of a blur 😂.

I doubt they were that fussed it was the most turgid, boring fitba ever witnessed. :lol: 

On 6/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, Taylor1996 said:

Colin Hendry: "I'll tell you something now, with more my head than my heart: that game next Friday night is winnable. Very, very winnable."

100% correct.

According the "The Analyst" who use Opta stats, England are 9th favourites to win the entire thing. I'd actually that that's just about right.

Screenshot_20210611-151555_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'd have thought that with home advantage for most games, England would rate higher than Denmark, at least, and probably Netherlands too. And I think Group F won't be plain sailing for the favourites...

Guest Scot1
10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

England didn't play magnificent football, they didn't need to. They deserved the 3 points.

The way that they pressed high and strangled the Croatia midfield has me slightly concerned.

They’ve got a decent midfield, nothing great though. Modric still looked a class above anyone else on the pitch and in time Gilmour will be better than  anything they have in the middle of the park. 
3-4-2-1 

Dykes

Fraser      McGinn

Gilmour   McTominay

12 minutes ago, exile said:

I'd have thought that with home advantage for most games, England would rate higher than Denmark, at least, and probably Netherlands too. And I think Group F won't be plain sailing for the favourites...

Yeah. The data and statistics are purely based on the previous year's collective performances by players. Collected by Opta. 

If you added in variables like home advantage, injuries, etc, the table might look a wee bit different. 

On 6/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, killiefaetheferry said:

I was in Greece from the quarters that year. Was fucking amazing. The night they won it is a bit of a blur 😂.

The Greece tournament win was brilliant. It’s what keeps all the wee teams dreaming. People who tell you it was rubbish and boring tend to be the same people who say penalty shootouts are a lottery. They took on the best of Europe and won. 

35 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

They’ve got a decent midfield, nothing great though. Modric still looked a class above anyone else on the pitch and in time Gilmour will be better than  anything they have in the middle of the park. 
3-4-2-1 

Dykes

Fraser      McGinn

Gilmour   McTominay

I'm going to shut up about us beating England now. 😛

21 minutes ago, duncan II said:

The Greece tournament win was brilliant. It’s what keeps all the wee teams dreaming. People who tell you it was rubbish and boring tend to be the same people who say penalty shootouts are a lottery. They took on the best of Europe and won. 

They were rubbish and boring. They totally played anti-football. I had my Greece top 🇬🇷 on from the start and was in Greece for the Quarter final onwards. We got eventually got engaged and married in that wee village so we were on a bit of a journey with the Greek people. You don't give a fuck about quality football if you're supporting a team in a tournament 🤷🏻‍♂️