An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents

Caledonian Craig

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

If you compare Calvert-Lewin to backup strikers of Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, etc, the so-called "depth" look rather shallow.

Growing up they had better depth of strikers like Fowler, Shearer, Owen, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Cole.

Now they have Kane.

I'll take my chances ;)

I was more talking about their chances of beating us than their strength in depth. Their second or third choice centre forward would walk into our team. They may not be as good (or have as many good players as Italy or France) but they are heavy favourites to beat us and rightly so.  

Does that mean we can’t win? Of course not but it will be very tough, even to get a draw. I think our best chance of progressing is by taking 4 points from the other 2 games although I would love to take something at Wembley. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I was more talking about their chances of beating us than their strength in depth. Their second or third choice centre forward would walk into our team. They may not be as good (or have as many good players as Italy or France) but they are heavy favourites to beat us and rightly so.  

Does that mean we can’t win? Of course not but it will be very tough, even to get a draw. I think our best chance of progressing is by taking 4 points from the other 2 games although I would love to take something at Wembley. 

No arguments, I do have a soft spot for Dykes, though. Nisbet is growing on me.

We'll see on the 18th. 

I'm usually right when it comes to things like this. ;)

29 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

No arguments, I do have a soft spot for Dykes, though. Nisbet is growing on me.

We'll see on the 18th. 

I'm usually right when it comes to things like this. ;)

If I remember correctly you predicted we’d draw 1-1 in Kazakhstan so I won’t be putting my life savings on your tip. 😂

Guest Scot1

The thing about Dykes is he will get better, all aspects of his game will improve as he plays with and against better players. It’s just a shame he didn’t take up football younger, he has lots of potential and lots of good qualities 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If I remember correctly you predicted we’d draw 1-1 in Kazakhstan so I won’t be putting my life savings on your tip. 😂

Are you positive? I can't imagine it. That's when we were playing with a back four... all my predictions back then were "defeat". 😛

What annoys me is the lack of consistency with refs. I mentioned "WWF" earlier. This is what I meant. How can Hendry's challenge be a free kick and this ignored?

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Are you positive? I can't imagine it. That's when we were playing with a back four... all my predictions back then were "defeat". 😛

What annoys me is the lack of consistency with refs. I mentioned "WWF" earlier. This is what I meant. How can Hendry's challenge be a free kick and this ignored?

Pretty sure but only because I searched for it. 😂

Referees have been missing shit like that for years. That’s one of the reasons VAR was brought in. If VAR was in use in that game he’d have been off but it was a friendly so it wasn’t (although bizarrely it was in use in the France v Wales game). 

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Incidentally you got the San Marino score spot on. Maybe you are on to something with the England game. 

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Pretty sure but only because I searched for it. 😂

Referees have been missing shit like that for years. That’s one of the reasons VAR was brought in. If VAR was in use in that game he’d have been off but it was a friendly so it wasn’t (although bizarrely it was in use in the France v Wales game).

Ah. Then well played. ;)

The Mings one was astonishing. Not many things make my mouth gape during a match... but this one did.

If he does it in the Euros, he's toast.

If we are to get a result against England we'll need to have put in one of our best performances in recent times lets not fool ourselves.

Our recent record against top notch sides won't leave any of the big teams messing their pants about playing us. And angst and dislike of England should not distract us from facts. England are levels above us. Their seedings, their recent major tournaments record, their FIFA and UEFA rankings and their form all suggest it. Deny it and am sorry but you look like either a fool or bitter.

Of course that does not mean we can't get a result. Remember Paris and Faddy's goal? That was identical circumstances where France were levels above us and everything indicated a France win but we defied the odds. It'll need something special from us to replicate that but right now I just want us to progress beyond the First Round. Lets concentrate on the main goal.

52 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If we are to get a result against England we'll need to have put in one of our best performances in recent times lets not fool ourselves.

Our recent record against top notch sides won't leave any of the big teams messing their pants about playing us. And angst and dislike of England should not distract us from facts. England are levels above us. Their seedings, their recent major tournaments record, their FIFA and UEFA rankings and their form all suggest it. Deny it and am sorry but you look like either a fool or bitter.

Of course that does not mean we can't get a result. Remember Paris and Faddy's goal? That was identical circumstances where France were levels above us and everything indicated a France win but we defied the odds. It'll need something special from us to replicate that but right now I just want us to progress beyond the First Round. Lets concentrate on the main goal.

All of this is true and I agree with you. It would be an upset if we won and an eye opener if we drew, which I'd bite your hand off for right now. The game has become more technical and they have better technical players than us, but games can still be affected by heart, desire and aggression. We are capable of breaking quickly after keeping our shape and soaking up pressure, as evidenced by the second goal the other night. The most likely outcome is that they'll dominate possession but individual battles all over the pitch will decide whether we can get forward and create opportunities or just fold under the pressure and lose without laying a glove on them. Can't wait to find out.

12 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Technically, I'm not a neutral, but I usually call it as honestly as I can (The free kick leading up to the second Dutch goal WAS a legit free kick.) so I'm definitely looking at this from all angles.

England are average. 

Pickford is their number 2 keeper.

In the centre of defence they don't have Maguire. Who do they have? A Wolves player, A Brighton player and a player from Aston Villa who should be in WWF.

In midfield they are as soft as a marshmallow. Rice is good, but he has no big game experience. Henderson is injured, Philips is inexperienced and Bellingham is 17.

People keep saying that up front they have frightening depth. lol. It's just not true. They have Kane. Sterling is off form, Grealish is riddled with injuries, each time I've watched Sancho he's done zero. Foden has potential, but he's still only a kid.

If we press high against England, we'll win.

I cannot wait to face them.

If we play O'Donnell against England, the likes of Foden, Sancho, Sterling will have him on toast. Patterson has a chance with his pace and aggression, and with doubling up from a right centre back.

27 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

If we play O'Donnell against England, the likes of Foden, Sancho, Sterling will have him on toast. Patterson has a chance with his pace and aggression, and with doubling up from a right centre back.

I think O'Donnell will surprise a few people. And yes, that's the beauty of playing with a three.

England don't really have wingers, though. If anything, those three will be a problem for our centerbacks to solve.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I tried to draw up how England will line up against us. They're so thin in midfield that I originallt put Mount, twice.

Players from Everton, Wolves, West Ham, Leeds. These players aren't exactly going to make it into an all-time England first XI.

There's nothing bitter or fool about it. Coady, Foden, Mount, Rice and Sancho are all novices at this level.

Best I can do:

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Coady - Shaw

Mount - Rice - Philips (struggling with injury)

Foden - Kane - Sancho

Or

Pickford

James - Coady - Stones

Walker                              Shaw

Rice - Philips (struggling with injury)

Mount        Foden

Kane

Edited by Taylor1996

15 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I tried to draw up how England will line up against us. They're so thin in midfield that I originallt put Mount, twice.

Players from Everton, Wolves, West Ham, Leeds. These players aren't exactly going to make it into an all-time England first XI.

There's nothing bitter or fool about it. Coady, Foden, Mount, Rice and Sancho are all novices at this level.

Best I can do:

Pickford

Foden - Kane - Sancho

Or

Pickford

James - Coady - Stones

Mount        Foden

Kane

Coady won’t play in a back four. Wolves tried that. He’s good in a three.

4 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Coady won’t play in a back four. Wolves tried that. He’s good in a three.

True.

Against Austria, he and Mings didn't appear to be the most stable of partnership. 

With Magure out I wouldn't be surprised if they played with a three. I thought they would've did it against Austria, to be honest.

30 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Best I can do:

Pickford

Foden - Kane - Sancho

Or

Pickford

James - Coady - Stones

Mount        Foden

Kane

And being unbiased and honest either of those teams is better than we can put out. If you cannot see that then I am stunned.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And being unbiased and honest either of those teams is better than we can put out. If you cannot see that then I am stunned.

Is that the sole issue, though? In some quarters, England are favourites. That is Twilight Zone stuff.

It's marginal. I mean, how better are Mings and Coady to McKenna, Hanley, Cooper or Hendry? Not much.

McTominay, Tierney, Robertson could walk into their team. With our centerbacks giving theirs a run for their money. Even Gilmour would be pushing the first XI. Same with McGregor.

Edited by Taylor1996

29 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Disagreed.

Which part?

Are Mings and Coady the new Nesta and Baresi? 😛

Philips, the new Gullit?

Who said they were and had to be?

This England side would never fail to turn over Israel - home or away. Us? Different matter. We struggle badly against them. When was the last time we beat a big nation? Years. Enland do it regularly having beaten Spain I recall last year for a start. 

Scotland fans are getting excited that Hendry may be heading for a move to the EPL. England's central defenders are bedded in in that league whilst we only have Cooper and Tierney. Scotland fans were getting excited about the prospect of a Scot in the Champions League Final (Gilmour) that never came to pass whilst England had several players in it.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

True.

Against Austria, he and Mings didn't appear to be the most stable of partnership. 

With Magure out I wouldn't be surprised if they played with a three. I thought they would've did it against Austria, to be honest.

Maguire isn’t out yet.

You seem to think that because England aren’t as strong as they used to be that we should get at least a draw against them. Doesn’t work like that as they are still stronger than us. 

England beat Belgium 8 months ago. Kane didn’t even start that game. They also beat a good Wales team 3-0 without Kane and Maguire, albeit in a friendly. 

They have won 23 out of their last 25 competitive games at Wembley. The only two teams to beat them in that time were Spain and a very good Denmark side.

Don’t let these facts get in the way of your fantasy that we should get at least a draw and if we have a go at them we should win though. It’s obviously much more fun for you to be controversial on here rather than realistic. 

I'm old enough to go back to the days when beating England was all that seemed to matter to us. I even remember my mum saying, "When is the international?"  (singular)  She meant the England game. Pat Crerand wanted to change that mindset: he said, "Who's England ? I wanna beat Brazil, West Germany and so on.."  I'd hate to think we could go back to that way of thinking; what's the use of beating England if we get pumped by Croatia in the next game? Beating Czechia is much more important. See, if we beat England and lose to the other two, I will consider it the failure of all failures. Fortunately Clarke is just the man to keep our feet on the ground.