An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

An Eye On Our Euro 2020 Opponents

Caledonian Craig

It’s hard to tell as they are playing a very good team and they weren’t at full strength in either of our last 2 matches but the Czechs definitely look beatable. 

If we have a right go at them I think we can do some serious damage. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope our players and fans don't get over-exvited by this result. It is a friendly with Italy playing at home and some are tipping Italy as dark horses for the Euros.

I am hoping Clarke can keep our players' feet on the ground and make sure they do not relax too much going into the Euros.

Czech Republic 0 - Italy 4

It won't do the Czech confidence any good, but this Italy team do look like potential Euro 2020 winners.

It looks like Manci has built an attacking swagger on the defensive Italian DNA

Insigne might have a tremendous tournament. 

In their previous 10 matches they've scored 26 and conceded 0.

Edited by Taylor1996

On 6/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, Tartan blood said:

Absolutely. Every team has their weaknesses. Including us. I believe Clarke is tactically savvy enough to exploit the weakneses, and will have enough time with the players to drill that into them.

These 3 games, at least, are all up for grabs. The Czechs and Croatia are not better than the Dutch, who resorted to conning the ref to get a draw off of us. 

We just need to ensure England don't get too much possession in the final 3rd. (Easier said than done, I know) If you give them enough chances, they have the fire power to hurt us. But I reckon we'll give them a right good game.

I'm not usually an optimist when it comes to Scotland. But, I'd be disappointed if we didn't get at least a point against England.

I'm not sure why England are so hyped up, even by the bookies. Take out Kane and they might not even make it into the second round.

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'm not usually an optimist when it comes to Scotland. But, I'd be disappointed if we didn't get at least a point against England.

I'm not sure why England are so hyped up, even by the bookies. Take out Kane and they might not even make it into the second round.

England are always a fairly short price with British bookies to win tournaments because a lot of English people bet on them and it drives the odds down. 

England could probably drop Kane and 3-4 others and still comfortably get out the group. I doubt the Czechs would take anything at Wembley regardless of who England field and while I admire your optimism I think we’ll do well to get a draw there. 

You’ve got to remember that England very rarely lose at Wembley. They beat Belgium there last year and yes they did lose to Denmark but Denmark are a damn sight better than anything they’ll face in the group stage. Make no mistake, England could win the tournament. If they weren’t playing more or less every game at home I wouldn’t give them a chance but it will take a good team to beat them at Wembley. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

England could win the tournament. If they weren’t playing more or less every game at home I wouldn’t give them a chance but it will take a good team to beat them at Wembley. 

Technically, I'm not a neutral, but I usually call it as honestly as I can (The free kick leading up to the second Dutch goal WAS a legit free kick.) so I'm definitely looking at this from all angles.

England are average. 

Pickford is their number 2 keeper.

In the centre of defence they don't have Maguire. Who do they have? A Wolves player, A Brighton player and a player from Aston Villa who should be in WWF.

In midfield they are as soft as a marshmallow. Rice is good, but he has no big game experience. Henderson is injured, Philips is inexperienced and Bellingham is 17.

People keep saying that up front they have frightening depth. lol. It's just not true. They have Kane. Sterling is off form, Grealish is riddled with injuries, each time I've watched Sancho he's done zero. Foden has potential, but he's still only a kid.

If we press high against England, we'll win.

I cannot wait to face them.

12 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Technically, I'm not a neutral, but I usually call it as honestly as I can (The free kick leading up to the second Dutch goal WAS a legit free kick.) so I'm definitely looking at this from all angles.

England are average. 

In the centre of defence they don't have Maguire. Who do they have? A Wolves player, A Brighton player and a player from Aston Villa who should be in WWF.

In midfield they are as soft as a marshmallow. Rice is good, but he has no big game experience. Henderson is injured, Philips is inexperienced and Bellingham is 17.

People keep saying that up front they have frightening depth. lol. It's just not true. They have Kane. Sterling is off form, Grealish is riddled with injuries, each time I've watched Sancho he's done zero. Foden has potential, but he's still only a kid.

What planet do you live on at all?

Do you know football is a contact sport? Putting your hands on a player is not a foul. If Hendry pulled Depay to the ground then you have a point but is certainly didn’t look that way to me. 

You appear to be seriously underestimating England. They are certainly no France or Belgium but they are a hell of a lot better than you are making out. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What planet do you live on at all?

Do you know football is a contact sport? Putting your hands on a player is not a foul. If Hendry pulled Depay to the ground then you have a point but is certainly didn’t look that way to me. 

You appear to be seriously underestimating England. They are certainly no France or Belgium but they are a hell of a lot better than you are making out. 

Earth.

What planet did the ref give the foul?

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

Fine. I'm going to take a note from your playbook.

What makes you think you're more qualified than a referee? 

Ffs mate anyone who knows the rules of football knows that wasn’t a foul. The ref was conned though so he obviously thought Hendry impeded Depay. I am not claiming to be more qualified than the ref but I have watched the incident several times in slow motion and from different angles which the ref wasn’t able to do. I seriously doubt the ref would stand by that decision now. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Ffs mate anyone who knows the rules of football knows that wasn’t a foul. The ref was conned though so he obviously thought Hendry impeded Depay. I am not claiming to be more qualified than the ref but I have watched the incident several times in slow motion and from different angles which the ref wasn’t able to do. I seriously doubt the ref would stand by that decision now. 

Everyone knows it, if I a defender puts their hands or arms anywhere near a striker, chances are the striker will go down and a free-kick/penalty will occur.

If Hendry, etc, does that kind of thing at Euro 2020 then don't don't be shocked if a free kick is given, because it will. It's just asking for trouble.

We can't go up to the ref and whisper in his ear "In Scotland we have different rules. We're honest." and expect him to rescind it.

Anyway.

The match is over. No point talking about it.

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

Everyone knows it, if I a defender puts their hands or arms anywhere near a striker, chances are the striker will go down and a free-kick/penalty will occur.

If Hendry, etc, does that kind of thing at Euro 2020 then don't don't be shocked if a free kick is given, because it will. It's just asking for trouble.

We can't go up to the ref and whisper in his ear "In Scotland we have different rules. We're honest." and expect him to rescind it.

Anyway.

The match is over. No point talking about it.

That doesn’t make it a foul. It makes it a dive. In what way is that a “legit free kick”? 

Why did you bring it up then? 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Why did you bring it up then? 

To denote my general honesty and showing my objectivity.

Fine. We'll see that sort of thing at Euro 2020. And the officials will have the benefit of VAR. I doubt many, or any, decisions like that will be reversed.

48 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

England are average. 

I'm loving that everyone has boarded the hype train. I've been on board for months now.

I think the "Strength in depth" comment is generally referring to their attackers. When they are on form, it's one of the best attacks in Europe. But they can't play them all and, as you say, the rest of the team are not at the same level. 

They are beatable, or at least drawable. Whether we will or not remains to be seen. But this is a fierce rivalry, at least from our perspective. Anything can happen in a derby. I'm much happier we're playing England than any other equal standard team.

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

To denote my general honesty and showing my objectivity.

Fine. We'll see that sort of thing at Euro 2020. And the officials will have the benefit of VAR. I doubt many, or any, decisions like that will be reversed.

Awarded free kicks don’t go to VAR but if a penalty is given for something similar and it isn’t reversed I would be surprised.

I do agree that Hendry was daft to touch Depay but that doesn’t make it a foul. 

6 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm loving that everyone has boarded the hype train. I've been on board for months now.

I think the "Strength in depth" comment is generally referring to their attackers. When they are on form, it's one of the best attacks in Europe. But they can't play them all and, as you say, the rest of the team are not at the same level. 

They are beatable, or at least drawable. Whether we will or not remains to be seen. But this is a fierce rivalry, at least from our perspective. Anything can happen in a derby. I'm much happier we're playing England than any other equal standard team.

Choo choo! ;)

The depth is more about their inside forwards and attacking midfielders. Take Kane out, their next strikers are Watkins and Calvert-Lewin. Scary. ;)

I expect at least a draw.

The aftermath of the Dutch match made me even more confident. We didn't sit back against the. We pressed high without losing any of our defensive structure. And the way one of Tierney and Hendry stepped into midfield. We really are developing and evolving.

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Awarded free kicks don’t go to VAR but if a penalty is given for something similar and it isn’t reversed I would be surprised.

I do agree that Hendry was daft to touch Depay but that doesn’t make it a foul. 

True. Penalties, then.

Hopefully he learns from it.

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Choo choo! ;)

The depth is more about their inside forwards and attacking midfielders. Take Kane out, their next strikers are Watkins and Calvert-Lewin. Scary. ;)

I expect at least a draw.

The aftermath of the Dutch match made me even more confident. We didn't sit back against the. We pressed high without losing any of our defensive structure. And the way one of Tierney and Hendry stepped into midfield. We really are developing and evolving.

Calvert-Lewin is streets ahead of any of our strikers. I would kill for a striker if his quality in our squad.

You're going to look like an idiot if we get pumped 4-0. Obviously I don’t want that to happen but it’s a possibility. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Calvert-Lewin is streets ahead of any of our strikers. I would kill for a striker if his quality in our squad.

You're going to look like an idiot if we get pumped 4-0. Obviously I don’t want that to happen but it’s a possibility. 

If you compare Calvert-Lewin to backup strikers of Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, etc, the so-called "depth" look rather shallow.

Growing up they had better depth of strikers like Fowler, Shearer, Owen, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Cole.

Now they have Kane.

I'll take my chances ;)

Edited by Taylor1996