Netherlands warm up game. - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Netherlands warm up game.

er yir macaroon

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Thistle connection: don't want to derail things but another ex-Jag scored a really famous goal in the 70's.  I'm sure it comes up in pub trivia now and again.  If anyone wants to have a go?

Don't think 2 ex Thistle players have ever scored in the same match, at least in modern times.  Good spot whoever noticed that. 👍

Joe Craig?  Scored on his Scotland debut and was never capped again.

Just now, daviebee said:

How? I doubt our press would put the pressure on by trumpeting we were going to win the tournament!

I think we need level heads. There were a few problems in the performance as well as a lot of good things. Hendry will have learned a lesson for a start. It wasn’t a clear foul but he had his hands round the players waist just as the replay kicks in. I’ll take the draw if it means he doesn’t concede the foul in the real games. 

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

With the performance of Armstrong tonight I’m wondering if McTominay might be put back into defence after all. A midfield three of McGregor, Armstrong and McGinn seems quite likely. 

I still think McTominay will be in midfield. For me Hendry looks to have nailed down the right centre half position. I could see Armstrong playing further up the park where Christie was tonight supporting Adams.

Just now, bossman4 said:

I still think McTominay will be in midfield. For me Hendry looks to have nailed down the right centre half position. I could see Armstrong playing further up the park where Christie was tonight supporting Adams.

Yes, that’s possible. I’d normally have Fraser there. He did very little when he came on tonight but it’s good he got minutes into his legs. 

19 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Definitely not a foul but perhaps could have stood off a bit, especially after a similar free-kick 10mins earlier. It was a free kick against England that led to their equaliser in the Griffiths game and there is also the likes of Grealish and Sterling that fall over for fun. Would be a sickener for that to happen again once the tourney starts.

Fraser could probably have done a wee bit better to close the ball down but the fact is if Depay doesn’t go down like a sack of spuds to fool the referee we would have cleared the ball. 

The ref had a shocker. 

9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

With the performance of Armstrong tonight I’m wondering if McTominay might be put back into defence after all. A midfield three of McGregor, Armstrong and McGinn seems quite likely. 

Surely Hendry and Cooper both made a strong case, so no need to move McT back. Mebbe McGregor will pick up a wee knock and Gilmour will get a more lengthy shot at it...

2 minutes ago, shug macdiarmid said:

Surely Hendry and Cooper both made a strong case, so no need to move McT back. Mebbe McGregor will pick up a wee knock and Gilmour will get a more lengthy shot at it...

I think Gilmour will play the 90 against Luxembourg but I just don’t see McGregor being dropped for the games. Hendry was good, it’s just that Armstrong now looks undroppable, so someone steps out. Clarke clearly rates Christie. 

3 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

I'd think so aswell. Particularly with how poor McGregor was. Armstrong looked good tonight and it's maybe given Clarke something to think about.

He might think about playing McGinn deeper alongside McTominay and Armstrong slightly forward like tonight. I'd personally prefer McGinn in that role as he is more of a goal threat than Armstrong but we are quite light in the deeper CM positions with Flecks COVID and McLean/Jack out injured, so he may prefer McGinn deeper instead of McGregor or Turnbull.

Defensively I'd say RB aside that is probably our strongest defence and Forrest aside that will be our back 5. We looked a lot better on the ball in defence and more comfortable passing out than we have in the past. It was noticeable that we didn't go as long ball as we usually do. 

Overall it was a good solid team performance against a top 10 side.

20 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, that’s possible. I’d normally have Fraser there. He did very little when he came on tonight but it’s good he got minutes into his legs. 

If he is fit I’d fancy him for Czech game with Adams as he caused them all sorts of problems in Nations League.

A very good and spirted performance from us. 

Could argue we were unlucky not to win it, but at the same time the Dutch certainly if they took their chances might well have won that as well. Only wee concern of the night was some of the panicked defending, and Gordon's positioning and kicking at times. 

Is it a bit nuts to suggest that Tierney is world class? He has almost everything - pace ; can create space and open up play ; decent strike on him and a solid defender. 

Turnbull did very well for his debut. A wee bit nervey to begin with, but came in to the game. Very happy to see Gilmour get on as well and win his first cap. One of my good pals who's Celtic daft and most likely just daft in general still claims 'Jack Hendry is the worst player he's seen in a Celtic jersey' which is shite, IMO, Hendry is slowly progressing in to an excellent defender - both challenges that he 'gave' away were very harsh. Not a huge fan of VAR, but we could have done with it tonight. That ref was honking for both sides. 

Nisbet did very well when he came on. Delighted he scored and just like his debut, some lovely link up play and making work for the opposition defence. On his showing in his only two games for Scotland, I'd start him ahead of Dykes - who had an alright game, but he really is a player to throw on if winning 2-1 and not relying on him scoring, just making a nuisance of himself.

Considering the players out with Covid, and an inexperienced team in general, I thought we did very well tonight and just hoping the likes of McTominay, Robbo, KT, McGinn, Turnbull, Gilmour, Nisbet can all stay fit for the tournament. Caught the last bit of Sportsound and agreed with Levein - I'd probably rest KT, Robbo and maybe even just give McGinn 20-30 mins against Luxembourg. 

A win against Luxembourg would set us up nicely. They are no mugs these days though. And have taken some very decent scalps of late (it took a Haaland 90th minute winner from them to lose tonight) Really looking forward to Sunday now, although it might well be through half-closed eyes if the challenges are going in. 

We have the nucleus of a good squad there. And its a very young squad. Not getting carried away, and it'll still be a bit of an ask for us to get to the last sixteen, but looking at England - I honestly don't think we should fear them like we might have done 5-6 years ago. 

Overall, very good from us tonight.

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

And whilst we are at it, quick aside, when was the last time two ex Partick Thistle players ( sum proceeds 200,000) scored for Scotland. Probably never.

Mo Johnston v France in March 1989.

Mo Johnston v France in March 1989.

I didnt think McGreggor was that bad tonight. He doesnt have the composure against the big teams that he does in Scotland though.  I think its more a case of others staking their claim (Armstrong) and others with better techincal ability (Gilmour and McTom) that will eventually see him phased out of a starting position.

Really pleased with how well Robertson and Tierney play together. Tierney gets all the praise but Robertson allows him to do it with his positioning. Tierney also benefits from playing LCB as when he steps forward theres generally nobody tasked with marking him.

Gordon possibly to blame for the 2md goal as it was his side however I feel so much more comfortable with him in goal. Made some good stops.

10 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

A very good and spirted performance from us. 

Could argue we were unlucky not to win it, but at the same time the Dutch certainly if they took their chances might well have won that as well. Only wee concern of the night was some of the panicked defending, and Gordon's positioning and kicking at times. 

Is it a bit nuts to suggest that Tierney is world class? He has almost everything - pace ; can create space and open up play ; decent strike on him and a solid defender. 

Turnbull did very well for his debut. A wee bit nervey to begin with, but came in to the game. Very happy to see Gilmour get on as well and win his first cap. One of my good pals who's Celtic daft and most likely just daft in general still claims 'Jack Hendry is the worst player he's seen in a Celtic jersey' which is shite, IMO, Hendry is slowly progressing in to an excellent defender - both challenges that he 'gave' away were very harsh. Not a huge fan of VAR, but we could have done with it tonight. That ref was honking for both sides. 

Nisbet did very well when he came on. Delighted he scored and just like his debut, some lovely link up play and making work for the opposition defence. On his showing in his only two games for Scotland, I'd start him ahead of Dykes - who had an alright game, but he really is a player to throw on if winning 2-1 and not relying on him scoring, just making a nuisance of himself.

Considering the players out with Covid, and an inexperienced team in general, I thought we did very well tonight and just hoping the likes of McTominay, Robbo, KT, McGinn, Turnbull, Gilmour, Nisbet can all stay fit for the tournament. Caught the last bit of Sportsound and agreed with Levein - I'd probably rest KT, Robbo and maybe even just give McGinn 20-30 mins against Luxembourg. 

A win against Luxembourg would set us up nicely. They are no mugs these days though. And have taken some very decent scalps of late (it took a Haaland 90th minute winner from them to lose tonight) Really looking forward to Sunday now, although it might well be through half-closed eyes if the challenges are going in. 

We have the nucleus of a good squad there. And its a very young squad. Not getting carried away, and it'll still be a bit of an ask for us to get to the last sixteen, but looking at England - I honestly don't think we should fear them like we might have done 5-6 years ago. 

Overall, very good from us tonight.

Most of the panicky defending came after Tierney, Robertson and Cooper went off although Tierney did make an arse of one cross (one blip in an otherwise very good performance). 

A good performance against Luxembourg and a couple of goals would do. Not expecting to batter them as they are a lot better than they used to be but we should have enough to beat them. Not that a win is essential but it couldn’t hurt.  I wouldn’t read too much into their game tonight as Norway (Haaland aside) are not a great team. 

real shame we couldnt get the win tonight, last time we beat a top team was about 8 years ago when we beat croatia and holland were there for the taking had we not made so many subs.

Aside from that it feels like real progress was made tonight and we genuinely looked like a quality team who could give any top nation a tough match. we created excellent chances and armstrong and nisbet have really impressed tonight. i honestly didnt think nisbet would play much in this upcoming tournament but on tonights showing he at least deserves to get time off the bench. going to be tough for clarke to pick the midfield as armstrong is too good a player not to be considered and there is such strong options there.

could we be on the verge of a golden generation in terms of the national team? we have 2 world class players and a pretty strong squad by our standards. just need clarke to fit it all together and get the best out the squad.

Don’t tell any Scotland fans, but this England fan has a mild case of the ‘terror’ about our imminent match up.

All of the planets are aligning...

Rivalry aside, genuinely happy you guys are back on the tournament stage.

Really good team too...

4 hours ago, Dave in London said:

Don’t tell any Scotland fans, but this England fan has a mild case of the ‘terror’ about our imminent match up.

All of the planets are aligning...

Rivalry aside, genuinely happy you guys are back on the tournament stage.

Really good team too...

Welcome back Dave! 

Would have been nice to get the win (Clarke is still missing that big scalp from his time as boss) but my fear before the game was going to be a 2-0 or 3-0 defeat and kill all the Euro hype in its tracks.

Was shocked how fast off the mark we were and how hungry we looked in the opening stages of the games, and how that never really fizzled out all that much into the game.

BIG difference from just 2 years ago when we lost to Kazakhstan and struggled in San Marino.

Also amazing how in that time we have gone from struggling to put a defense together because there was nobody, to now who do you actually drop?