Euro 2020 (Group match predictions) - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020 (Group match predictions)

Taylor1996

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to get into predictions but I feel our best chance (most likely) of a route through to the Second Round is to start with a win against the Czechs presuming England beat the Croats the day before. The second fixtures and Croats beating the Czechs would leave us well-placed for qualifying and take the pressure off the England fixture as we'd know by then it would be going down to the final fixture. It may help us get a result. Our last fixture could then leave us and Croats knowing a draw would do us both but even if we lose I'd expect England to beat the Czechs so we could still sneak though as one of the best placed third teams.

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

If we play at Hampden in the R16 then we will be playing the winners of Group E, which is more than likely to be Spain.

Would want to avoid that!

Finish 2nd in our group however and we'd play the runner up of Group E in Copenhagen. That would be one of Sweden, Poland or Slovakia.

I don’t really mind who we play if we get through so I hadn’t really looked at the permutations but it would be good to get a home game. There’s no guarantee that Spain will win their group. Sweden at Hampden in the last 16 would be good. 

Let’s just hope we get through to the last 16 and who we play and where we play them will take care of itself. 

On 6/4/2021 at 9:18 AM, ProudScot said:

I love the optimism! 

I fancy us to win the Czech game & hope for something from the final two games. A win and a draw would surely see us through? 

I'm not sure what will be enough to get through but I'm confident we will get 2 draws and a win. It's probably mis placed confidence as the tournament gets closer 🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Just looking at the tournament fixtures.

4 x 3rd in group qualify for round of 16.

How do they allocate which tie you go into? 

There is different permutations depending on what groups the best 4 come from.

It’s all here-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

There is a 50% chance we will play in Budapest in last 16. 

Edited by bossman4

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure what will be enough to get through but I'm confident we will get 2 draws and a win. It's probably mis placed confidence as the tournament gets closer 🤣🤣

4 points should definitely be enough but it wouldn’t be guaranteed I don’t think. Two teams went through with 3 points last time. 

Two wins or your prediction would guarantee it I think. 

Edited by Texas Pete

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

4 points should definitely be enough but it wouldn’t be guaranteed I don’t think. Two teams went through with 3 points last time. 

Two wins or your prediction would guarantee it. 

If two teams went through with 3 points last time it’s almost guaranteed we’ll be the first team to ever get 4 points and still get knocked out.

We got knocked out ‘96 with 4 points but there were less teams.

Just now, The Black Bra said:

If two teams went through with 3 points last time it’s almost guaranteed we’ll be the first team to ever get 4 points and still get knocked out.

We got knocked out ‘96 with 4 points but there were less teams.

I wouldn’t put it past us but I think we would need to be the unluckiest team in the history of football to go out with 4 points in this format. 

We’ll just need to get at least 5 to be sure. Sounds easy doesn’t it? 

Too early to settle on predictions just yet but I can't help thinking home advantage has been under-rated.

It's true the stadia won't be so full but hard to imagine there will not be a buzz in Scotland, and also with the game in England just down the road, like a local derby (to some extent leveller) and for most practical purposes the same country, in terms of being just a team coach ride away, whereas overseas teams will have to do to pack their passports and travel bags and play different games in different foreign countries and dealing with all the logistics.

And I think home advantage has been under-rated in other groups too. Look at Group F - Germany have 3 home games, Hungary 2, hard not to think that must tilt things a bit in their favour. I don't think it will be straightforward for France and Portugal to simply turn up and qualify.

And England the jammiest, they could go right through to the finals on their home ground, apart from one game. (how did that happen???) Almost like '66?! 😵

Scotland has never had home advantage in a top rank tournament. Time to make use of it! :guitar:

7 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

“I wouldn’t put it past us but I think we would need to be the unluckiest team in the history of football”

Er, we are the unluckiest team in history, aren’t we?

I don’t think so. There are teams that have never been to tournaments at all.  We have had some major slices of luck to help us qualify in the past.

We often greet about being unlucky but pretty much every elimination we have suffered has been our own fault. 

If I had to call it now, I'd treat the 3 games as if part of a qualifying group. It would not be unreasonable to anticipate at least one home win and a home draw.  If we can draw with NL away, why not Croatia at home?

Scotland 2-1 Czech Republic

England 2- 1 Scotland

Scotland 1-1 Croatia

48 minutes ago, exile said:

If I had to call it now, I'd treat the 3 games as if part of a qualifying group. It would not be unreasonable to anticipate at least one home win and a home draw.  If we can draw with NL away, why not Croatia at home?

England 2- 1 Scotland

Scotland 1-1 Croatia

The first one's the biggie - if we were to win that, then I can't see us not getting at least a point from the other two, and that should set us up well. A draw would be fine though as we'd still be in it going into the last game whatever happened against England. 

We rarely start well in tournaments - 2 wins and 2 draws in our history, so would make a pleasant change to have something on the board after the first game...

1 hour ago, exile said:

England 2- 1 Scotland

Scotland 1-1 Croatia

The Netherlands game was a neutral venue but yeah there’s no reason we can’t beat Croatia at home never mind draw with them. 

It’s the final game so who knows what the situation will be by then. Croatia may already be through but they might not be too keen on winning the group due to their second round opponents or, less cynically, may just want to rest some players. 

We might already be through of course and we can rest some players and accidentally let a late goal in to eliminate England. We can but dream. 😂

England 2-0 Scotland 

Scotland 1-1 Croatia 

Really can't see us being even close to getting a result at Wembley, unfortunately. 

Two tight games at Hampden that we're capable of winning. If we can get 4 points, we should be through. If we can turn it in to 6 points, we should even get 2nd spot. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The Netherlands game was a neutral venue but yeah there’s no reason we can’t beat Croatia at home never mind draw with them. 

It’s the final game so who knows what the situation will be by then. Croatia may already be through but they might not be too keen on winning the group due to their second round opponents or, less cynically, may just want to rest some players. 

We might already be through of course and we can rest some players and accidentally let a late goal in to eliminate England. We can but dream. 😂

That would be good. Maybe through our keeper's legs ? 😃

8 minutes ago, fringo said:

That would be good. Maybe through our keeper's legs ? 😃

That would do nicely. Marshall could grow a tache and ponytail for the occasion? Well it might be a bit late for the ponytail.