News from the Camp - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp


 Share

Recommended Posts

Just looking at Gilmours stats with Scotland.

Made his debut in a friendly against Holland, 2-2 draw, only played 10 minutes. Played 30 minutes in a 1-0 win over Luxembourg in the next game, also a friendly. 
Since starting competitive international matches with Gilmour in the team we’ve won 4, drawn 1 (England), lost 1 (Denmark), not bad form.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Jack does add some depth to centre mid. But he’s not going to play as long as Gilmour is fit and available. Unless he lifts his performances to levels herein never seen before heights. But it’s good that there is now competition for most positions. 
 

You missed out 'and continues to play well'. Don't think you can be that certain he will maintain form. Pretty much everyone in the squad has had a period where performances have not been as good as we would normally expect or are currently playing well e.g. McGinn, Robbo, Hanley. Jack has only just come back after a long lay off so will have to get some game time but before getting injured was pretty much a  certainty for us also with his performances. 

Another aspect on Gilmour is he has been targeted by opposition for some shocking tackles in our games so will need some protection in midfield if he is to avoid one of these tackles giving him a serious injury.

Edited by gkm_vancouver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, gkm_vancouver said:

McTominay has been a bit unlucky in that he was asked to fulfil a defensive role at times which is not really his best position. But he did it and Clarke has said how much that has helped the team. He then had an operation in August during a triple header when Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor have really become mainstays with their performances (as much as that can be done). So he hasn't really had a long run in his best position/role. Like others say, it is good we have competition for places though as players can easily go off form or get injured. Jack coming back makes the midfield even more interesting. Could be that it needs to be adapted dependent on the opposition. 

Thinking about Jack hopefully returning to the squad in the near future. A midfield 3 of

           Jack

Gilmour.    McGregor

looks good, would add a bit more steel / physicality and would allow Gilmour and McGregor a to play a bit higher up the pitch and to concentrate more on attack. 
Perhaps a lineup when playing better teams, where we won’t be so dominant, possession wise. For example the game tomorrow against Denmark. 

Edited by Scot1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A midfield 4 of 

                      Jack

McTominay   Gilmour McGregor 

looks very nice too, 

we really need to be looking at playing 4/3/3 and 4/4/2 or 4/4/1/1 against some teams at Hampden soon. Think we will see just how good the squad is and how we can now dominate some teams with these formations. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Thinking about Jack hopefully returning to the squad in the near future. A midfield 3 of

           Jack

Gilmour.    McGregor

looks good, would add a bit more steel / physicality and would allow Gilmour and McGregor a to play a bit higher up the pitch and to concentrate more on attack. 
Perhaps a lineup when playing better teams, where we won’t be so dominant, possession wise. For example the game tomorrow against Denmark. 

Wouldn't that require dropping McGinn? And possibly McTominay. I'm all for playing Jack, but it would have to be at the expense of McGregor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Thinking about Jack hopefully returning to the squad in the near future. A midfield 3 of

           Jack

Gilmour.    McGregor

looks good, would add a bit more steel / physicality and would allow Gilmour and McGregor a to play a bit higher up the pitch and to concentrate more on attack. 
Perhaps a lineup when playing better teams, where we won’t be so dominant, possession wise. For example the game tomorrow against Denmark. 


think that’s a good shout.  I think the only name guaranteed a spot in midfield is Mcginn, then it’s a case of two or three from Mctominay, gilmour, McGregor and jack (assuming jack returns to pre injury form) and depending if we go three or four in midfield 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

Wouldn't that require dropping McGinn? And possibly McTominay. I'm all for playing Jack, but it would have to be at the expense of McGregor. 

Adams would be dropped, not McGinn. Yeah McTominay would be dropped for Jack in some instances, where we need a more solid, defensive midfield. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Wouldn't that require dropping McGinn? And possibly McTominay. I'm all for playing Jack, but it would have to be at the expense of McGregor. 


I think the idea here is Mcginn would play behind a lone striker, probably dykes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:


I think the idea here is Mcginn would play behind a lone striker, probably dykes.

Yeah, McGinn would play off a lone striker. 
If we switch to a back 4 it also means Tierney slotting in at left centre half beside Hendry or Hanley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Yeah, McGinn would play off a lone striker. 
If we switch to a back 4 it also means Tierney slotting in at left centre half beside Hendry or Hanley.

So this?

                      Gordon

Patterson Hanley Tierney Robbo

                        Jack

McTominay Gilmour McGregor

                     McGinn

                     Dykes

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

So this?

                      Gordon

Patterson Hanley Tierney Robbo

                        Jack

McTominay Gilmour McGregor

                     McGinn

                     Dykes

 

Yes, there’s all kinds of permutations we can play with the squad we are now assembling, depending on who is available and who the opposition are, and they all look pretty good. 

Edited by Scot1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Yes, there’s all kinds of permutations we can play with the squad we are now assembling, depending on who is available and who the opposition are, and they all look pretty good. 

Certainly not a bad team. It's the toss up between a tall centre back and playing an anchorman. There are arguments for both depending on the opposition.

That's a good possession based team, but it might struggle to score.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Certainly not a bad team. It's the toss up between a tall centre back and playing an anchorman. There are arguments for both depending on the opposition.

That's a good possession based team, but it might struggle to score.

Would really like to see us start to experiment with formations and personnel in the next set of friendlies. 
You could even try Tierney as holding midfielder if you wanted a taller more physical centre half, drop Jack. I’m convinced Tierney could play there and do a very good job if given a few games to adjust to the position. 
I think we will be looking for goals to come from all over the pitch, from our midfielders, fullback/wingbacks, when playing a formation with 1 centre forward and McGinn playing off him. 
We certainly have the talent through the squad to be scoring from different areas of the team.

Edited by Scot1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Would really like to see us start to experiment with formations and personnel in the next set of friendlies. 
You could even try Tierney as holding midfielder if you wanted a taller more physical centre half, drop Jack. I’m convinced Tierney could play there and do a very good job if given a few games to adjust to the position. 
I think we will be looking for goals to come from all over the pitch, from our midfielders, fullback/wingbacks, when playing a formation with 1 centre forward and McGinn playing off him. 
We certainly have the talent through the squad to be scoring from different areas of the team.

Which friendlies would that be?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Which friendlies would that be?

Think someone mention that we will have friendlies before the play off game? 
But you are right, the way International football is setup right now there are very few opportunities to try new players, formations etc out with a competitive match. 
Wouldn’t a mind ‘B’, reserve international team coming back for this purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scot1 said:

Think someone mention that we will have friendlies before the play off game? 
But you are right, the way International football is setup right now there are very few opportunities to try new players, formations etc out with a competitive match. 
Wouldn’t a mind ‘B’, reserve international team coming back for this purpose.

I doubt it. The playoffs are in March and this is the last international break before then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Would really like to see us start to experiment with formations and personnel in the next set of friendlies. 
You could even try Tierney as holding midfielder if you wanted a taller more physical centre half, drop Jack. I’m convinced Tierney could play there and do a very good job if given a few games to adjust to the position. 
I think we will be looking for goals to come from all over the pitch, from our midfielders, fullback/wingbacks, when playing a formation with 1 centre forward and McGinn playing off him. 
We certainly have the talent through the squad to be scoring from different areas of the team.

We dont tend to get goals from other areas though. Patterson on Fri night very much the exception.

Robertson is horrible at shooting, our centre backs dont have a great record from set pieces, even at club level, Gilmour has the technique to get goals but hasnt brought it into his game at club or int level as yet. McGreggor isnt a goal scorer.

We dont tend to score from free kicks.

So its really just our forwards and McGinn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Think someone mention that we will have friendlies before the play off game? 
But you are right, the way International football is setup right now there are very few opportunities to try new players, formations etc out with a competitive match. 
Wouldn’t a mind ‘B’, reserve international team coming back for this purpose.

There are pros and cons to a lack of friendlies. But, I think on the whole, we are better off with mainly competitive games. It reduces the chances of call offs (Ryan Fraser aside) and really gels the first 11 together. It will also create an edge in training, as everyone will be trying to impress to get in the first team.

The likes of Turnbull, Ferguson and Nisbet might have more minutes under their belt, but that wouldn't necessarily help us in the short term. The more games we have Robbo, Tierney, McGinn, Gilmour, and others, playing together the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

We dont tend to get goals from other areas though. Patterson on Fri night very much the exception.

Robertson is horrible at shooting, our centre backs dont have a great record from set pieces, even at club level, Gilmour has the technique to get goals but hasnt brought it into his game at club or int level as yet. McGreggor isnt a goal scorer.

We dont tend to score from free kicks.

So its really just our forwards and McGinn.

I think this is something that we will improve upon with time.  Against teams where we can dominate possession and territory, you’ll be looking for our midfielders, Gilmour, McGregor to be having a go on occasion. 
I hope Gilmour gets his 1st goal for Scotland soon, he does take up some lovely positions around the edge of the 18 yard box. He’s been unlucky up to now.
Robbo too is now getting good opportunities, more often in games, now that he is becoming more familiar and comfortable with the “wing-back” role. I’m sure in time he’ll get more composed in front of goal, whether that’s having a shot or squaring a pass for an assist. I think as the squad becomes more experienced, we will start to see more goals from different areas of the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

There are pros and cons to a lack of friendlies. But, I think on the whole, we are better off with mainly competitive games. It reduces the chances of call offs (Ryan Fraser aside) and really gels the first 11 together. It will also create an edge in training, as everyone will be trying to impress to get in the first team.

The likes of Turnbull, Ferguson and Nisbet might have more minutes under their belt, but that wouldn't necessarily help us in the short term. The more games we have Robbo, Tierney, McGinn, Gilmour, and others, playing together the better.

You’re probably right, the good thing is, most, if not all the players in the squad, play in a back 4 system at club level, so it’s no problem switching formations. The hard part, the big adjustment was getting everyone comfortable, familiar with a back 3/5. I’d say that has been successfully done now. Also the longer times spent in training camps may well be enough to tweak systems, introduce players etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

So this?

                      Gordon

Patterson Hanley Tierney Robbo

                        Jack

McTominay Gilmour McGregor

                     McGinn

                     Dykes

 

Looks good in a lot of ways. One issue could be height of defenders at corners/set pieces - one of Tierney's few (relative) weaknesses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Looks good in a lot of ways. One issue could be height of defenders at corners/set pieces - one of Tierney's few (relative) weaknesses.

Not just set pieces. Tierney has had a few problems dealing with diagonal balls into the box which he sometimes lets float over his head. He'll improve on that part of his game with experience but it's a definite weakness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...