News from the Camp - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

team almost picking itself apart from up front….

Gordon

Patterson   Hendry Cooper tierney Robertson     
                     Gilmour mcgregor

Mcginn

Adams      ?

Same as i would play i would have Brown in up top with Adams, guys on form scoring goals at a good level i would go for him

Just watched highlights of the Moldova home game to get me in the mood - really confident of a win tonight cant wait for it 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, borojock said:

Same as i would play i would have Brown in up top with Adams, guys on form scoring goals at a good level i would go for him

Just watched highlights of the Moldova home game to get me in the mood - really confident of a win tonight cant wait for it 

Unsure of the narrative of this situation; Season stats to date..

Jacob Brown 21 games 5 goals 

Kevin Nisbet 15 games 4 goals 

Nisbet hasn’t scored freely this season but he has credit in the bank so id start him with Che Adams tonight. 

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

did I hear this right, he does say that Lyndon will be with us 'whether it's watching on TV in England...??' about 2.40 and on 12.00mins talks about Souttar being an option for Monday's game?🤨

Dykes hasn’t travelled, despite wanting to, as the coaching team thought it wasn’t worth him travelling to sit in the stand.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Nisbet hasn’t scored freely this season but he has credit in the bank so id start him with Che Adams tonight. 

Brown has also set up 5 goals and has hit a minim purple patch

Nisbet has set up 1 and is off form

What credit does Nisbet have in the bank except the fact he's been called up before?

16 hours ago, Scot1 said:

He’s been playing the wrong role in midfield, he’s not a holding midfielder. And Gilmour is a game changer for us, and the Gilmour / McGregor partnership is what will get the best out of McTominay. Clever, intelligent players that can keep possession, that can manipulate the opposition and then release McTominay

McTominay has been a bit unlucky in that he was asked to fulfil a defensive role at times which is not really his best position. But he did it and Clarke has said how much that has helped the team. He then had an operation in August during a triple header when Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor have really become mainstays with their performances (as much as that can be done). So he hasn't really had a long run in his best position/role. Like others say, it is good we have competition for places though as players can easily go off form or get injured. Jack coming back makes the midfield even more interesting. Could be that it needs to be adapted dependent on the opposition. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

different way of looking at it, last 6 league games (data from transfermarket which i'm assuming is correct)

Brown 3 goals and 3 assists IMHO at a higher level

Nisbet 1 goal and 0 assists 

Im not sure what credit in the bank is - is it turning up for the squad? 

I get the benefits of Nisbet knows the formation, tactics, plan, players etc better than Brown and i would say those are tangible benefits of starting with Nisbet but recent form of Brown appears to be better than Nisbet 

I would hate a decision to be made on sentiment that because Nisbet has turned up to previous squads that he deserves it - i think that would be an extremely unfair way to pick the starting 11 for the fans and the other starting 10 players 

Game of opinions and respect yours 

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Brown has also set up 5 goals and has hit a minim purple patch

Nisbet has set up 1 and is off form

What credit does Nisbet have in the bank except the fact he's been called up before?

I'd go with Brown too. Like most on here had never heard of him before but by all accounts he's in great form and renowned for his work-rate.

We'll need an element of pressing against a Moldovan side who'll be happy to sit back and park the bus, and vital we get that with Dykes suspended.

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Hanley, Fraser and McTom.  Is it Fraser you're doubtful about? A sore throat sounds a bit wimpy tbh. Many's the time I've had to turn up for work in that condition, though admittedly the caution may be because of the covid situation.

Aye. I’m not sure about Fraser this time but I’m always sceptical when he pulls out. 

As far as McTominay goes he was sent home, I doubt he wanted to leave. It likely wasn’t clear how sick he would get and it could have been a disaster if he had spread it round the team so I have no problem with that. Hanley is clearly injured. 

47 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

McTominay has been a bit unlucky in that he was asked to fulfil a defensive role at times which is not really his best position. But he did it and Clarke has said how much that has helped the team. He then had an operation in August during a triple header when Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor have really become mainstays with their performances (as much as that can be done). So he hasn't really had a long run in his best position/role. Like others say, it is good we have competition for places though as players can easily go off form or get injured. Jack coming back makes the midfield even more interesting. Could be that it needs to be adapted dependent on the opposition. 

Jack does add some depth to centre mid. But he’s not going to play as long as Gilmour is fit and available. Unless he lifts his performances to levels herein never seen before heights. But it’s good that there is now competition for most positions. 

Here’s a team I was thinking about if / when we play another team like Moldova or similar in standing

Gordon

Patterson Hendry/Hanley Tierney.  Robbo

McTominay  Gilmour McGregor 

McGinn Dykes  Adams/Turnbull

We should be looking at playing a more attacking lineup in certain games.

Anyway hoping for a good result today, early goal would be nice

12 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Jack does add some depth to centre mid. But he’s not going to play as long as Gilmour is fit and available. Unless he lifts his performances to levels herein never seen before heights. But it’s good that there is now competition for most positions. 

Here’s a team I was thinking about if / when we play another team like Moldova or similar in standing

Gordon

Gilmour is unlikely to stay in our starting 11 long term if he doesn’t sort his club situation out regardless of how highly he is regarded on here. 

12 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Gordon

I've been wondering about a way to get Turnbull into the team as he offers accurate ball delivery, but I can't see how we do it without leaving out Gilmour or McGinn - or McGregor.

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Gilmour is unlikely to stay in our starting 11 long term if he doesn’t sort his club situation out regardless of how highly he is regarded on here. 

True, let’s hope the new Norwich manager plays him or he goes somewhere else in January where he get time on the pitch.

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I've been wondering about a way to get Turnbull into the team as he offers accurate ball delivery, but I can't see how we do it without leaving out Gilmour or McGinn - or McGregor.

I think Turnbull could play either side of a main Centre forward in a front 3. But there’s still Adams/Christie/Fraser/McGinn etc that can also play there. 
He could also play in McGregor position in central midfield. 

14 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think Turnbull could play either side of a main Centre forward in a front 3. But there’s still Adams/Christie/Fraser/McGinn etc that can also play there. 
He could also play in McGregor position in central midfield. 

A front three probably means abandoning the 3 at the back unless we play 3-4-3 which is a possibility. I definitely would not have him taking McGregor's position though.

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure it will work out. He’s too good a player to be sitting on the bench. 

Definitely, looking forward to seeing  him later, he’s a joy to watch.

47 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

The only way Turnbull gets in the team is if he becomes better than McGinn in ACM or Adams, Christie, Fraser etc as the support player to Dykes.

Even formation changes would have these players ahead of him.

Ideally another year or so at Celtic then a move to a more competitive enviroment would elevate him to the level that many believe he is capable of.

Im very much in the hopeful but unconvinced camp. He looks good / tidy in parts of some games but needs to be more consistent within games and also in general.  Plenty of time though.

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

A front three probably means abandoning the 3 at the back unless we play 3-4-3 which is a possibility. I definitely would not have him taking McGregor's position though.

Horses for courses, we now have a squad that can play any system comfortably and interchange between formations within games, if needs be. 
Id play 4-3-3 against weaker teams, teams where we expect to dominate possession. 
Play 3/5 at the back against better teams, tricky away fixtures. We have the squad to do it now. 
Id only play Turnbull instead of McGregor if he’s unavailable. 
Turnbull could also play instead of McTominay if he’s not available. 
A midfield 3 of 

Turnbull. Gilmour McGregor 

looks good.