News from the Camp - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d like to see Gilmour, McGregor and McTominay given some time to play together and develop as a midfield unit. Perhaps a little lightweight but in possession and going forward it could be a thing of beauty. 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Agree with this

Same here, plus I think for sure Steve Clarke would have had Scott McTominay as a starter against Moldova. It's given him yet another headache he could probably have done without. (Though as others have stated, we have other good players who can come in.)

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gilmour and McGregor are a far better cohesive partnership than Gilmour/McTominay. And lest we forget how very poor McTominay was against that European super power The Faroe Islands last time out.

That's really harsh on Mctominay, nobody came away with much credit against the faroes

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

That's really harsh on Mctominay, nobody came away with much credit against the faroes

No I am not sure it is. Remember that McTominay is much-lauded because of the club he plays for and the league he plays in. Sure nobody much came out of that match with credit but much more should be expected of him rather than of less lauded players playing for less lauded clubs who played that night. He had a stinker - more of a stinker than others.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Gilmour and McGregor are a far better cohesive partnership than Gilmour/McTominay. And lest we forget how very poor McTominay was against that European super power The Faroe Islands last time out.

McTominay hasn’t set the heather on fire for Scotland admittedly but nearly all were very poor in that particular match 

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I am not sure it is. Remember that McTominay is much-lauded because of the club he plays for and the league he plays in. Sure nobody much came out of that match with credit but much more should be expected of him rather than of less lauded players playing for less lauded clubs who played that night. He had a stinker - more of a stinker than others.

Thats utter nonsense min. Tierney, Robertson and Mcginn all play at a similar level but uour singling out mctominay. He never played well but he shouldn't be singled considering nobody played well that night.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Thats utter nonsense min. Tierney, Robertson and Mcginn all play at a similar level but uour singling out mctominay. He never played well but he shouldn't be singled considering nobody played well that night.

No I am speaking from what I saw. He stood out like a sore thumb. Chances to break and his passing stank the place out more so than others. I never said anyone else was getting pass marks that night but those you mention have merit points in the bank where they have shone for us so many times whereas McTominay hasn't. If he carries on in his vein of form for us he will become this generation's Charlie Adam - a player much was expected of because of the clubs he played for but failed to show up in a Scotland jersey.

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McTominay hasn’t set the heather on fire for Scotland admittedly but nearly all were very poor in that particular match 

Correct but others have regularly set the heather alight for us but McTominay has yet to even set it remotely smouldering.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Correct but others have regularly set the heather alight for us but McTominay has yet to even set in remotely smouldering.

But you only referenced the faroes match not other matches. Perhaps be more clearer with your point

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I am speaking from what I saw. He stood out like a sore thumb. Chances to break and his passing stank the place out more so than others. I never said anyone else was getting pass marks that night but those you mention have merit points in the bank where they have shone for us so many times whereas McTominay hasn't. If he carries on in his vein of form for us he will become this generation's Charlie Adam - a player much was expected of because of the clubs he played for but failed to show up in a Scotland jersey.

He did score the last minute winner against Israel. 
I know he’s not produced consistently good performances. But I think in a midfield 3 or 4 with Gilmour and McGregor and with the shackles of being a “holding midfielder” taken off, I believe you’ll see the best from McTominay. 
It didn’t work with him and Gilmour against the Faroes, there’s too much space in midfield for them. Stick MacGregor in there and you’ll see the quick passing/ interplay/ movement and the bursts forward. 

Edited by Scot1

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

But you only referenced the faroes match not other matches. Perhaps be more clearer with your point

Apologies but that is my thoughts on McTominay and why I do not see him as a massive loss against Moldova. Of course that is my opinion but he is not the influence on the side of the likes of Dykes, McGinn, Gilmour, Hanley, Robertson, Tierney and even a few of the lesser lights such as Hendry, Patterson, Christie and even the much-criticised Fraser.

Look at it another way. The great Barcelona / Spanish midfield of recent times had Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets as the holding midfielder. 
If we play Gilmour, McTominay and McGregor, we’ve not got a holding midfielder as such, they will all share the defensive responsibilities, but in essence you have three midfielders who are forward thinking, attacking players at heart. I say let’s go for it. 

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Look at it another way. The great Barcelona / Spanish midfield of recent times had Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets as the holding midfielder. 
If we play Gilmour, McTominay and McGregor, we’ve not got a holding midfielder as such, they will all share the defensive responsibilities, but in essence you have three midfielders who are forward thinking, attacking players at heart. I say let’s go for it. 

McTominay won’t be playing so we’ll need to “go for it” without him. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

McTominay won’t be playing so we’ll need to “go for it” without him. 

Indeed, Clarke says he’s hopeful he’ll be back in the squad for the Denmark game. 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I will say in defence of him (McTominay) it may help him and us if we could decide what he is for us - a midfielder or a defender in a back three. He has been tried in these positions and not looked settled but still even under past managers where he has played in midfield solely he never excelled.

He’s been playing the wrong role in midfield, he’s not a holding midfielder. And Gilmour is a game changer for us, and the Gilmour / McGregor partnership is what will get the best out of McTominay. Clever, intelligent players that can keep possession, that can manipulate the opposition and then release McTominay

I’m not too fussed about him missing really. I think the Gilmour/McGregor/McGinn midfield is tried and tested at this point and I thought McTominay did stand out more than others as poor against the Faroes and made the whole midfield disjointed.

At the back, I feel a back 3 of Hendry, Cooper & Tierney should get the job done tomorrow (and if it doesn’t then we really do have issues)

McTominay was poor against the Faroes. But if my memory is correct, other than the goal, he was our most dangerous player, he did manage to get into the box on a couple of occasions, I think that gives us a little glimpse of what he can do. But you do need Gilmour and McGregor beside him. I thought it may have worked with just Gilmour beside him in midfield, but it didn’t. With McGregor alongside Gilmour and McTominay, it gives Gilmour a short passing option almost immediately, as soon as he picks up possession, someone to work with and build passages of play with. McTominay will do that occasionally but he really wants to  drift into / find space and look to be found, released to drive forward. McGregor will immediately come and look to link up with Gilmour as soon as Gilmour has the ball, and vice versa. 

team almost picking itself apart from up front….

Gordon

Patterson   Hendry Cooper tierney Robertson     
                     Gilmour mcgregor

Mcginn

Adams      ?