News from the Camp - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Gordon can continue playing for as long as he wants and for as long as a club will have him but that doesn’t mean he’ll be Scotland’s keeper for the next 3 years. Gordon is only our number 1 now because Rooney had ditched Marshall and likely because McLaughlin is still playing second fiddle to McGregor at Ibrox. His bones will start creaking more when he turns 40 as well so will he even want to continue past next year? I’ll be very surprised if he is even still in our squad after 2022.

Gunn can GTF as far as I’m concerned. He’s already nailed his colours to the English mast and he’s not even that good. 

I think the 2 full years he lost through injury and the 15-20 caps lost in that time could be an intensive to hang around that little longer.

So I can see him hanging around as long as he is needed (if he can make Euro2024 is another story, but think he will give it a try).

I think he will be around for at least the next Nations League games, then review from there.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think the 2 full years he lost through injury and the 15-20 caps lost in that time could be an intensive to hang around that little longer.

So I can see him hanging around as long as he is needed (if he can make Euro2024 is another story, but think he will give it a try).

I think he will be around for at least the next Nations League games, then review from there.

Possibly. We’ll find out. 

I like Gordon but he doesn’t fill me with confidence these days, especially when it comes to crosses. 

He’s still an excellent shot stopper through and kept us in it (can’t believe I’m typing this) against the Faroes. 

He is only going to decline from here on in though sadly and Clarke should really be thinking about his replacement very shortly. 

41 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Possibly. We’ll find out. 

I like Gordon but he doesn’t fill me with confidence these days, especially when it comes to crosses. 

He’s still an excellent shot stopper through and kept us in it (can’t believe I’m typing this) against the Faroes. 

He is only going to decline from here on in though sadly and Clarke should really be thinking about his replacement very shortly. 

Think Clarke is relying on McLaughlin being Rangers No1 in near future, and admited that he is switching between Clark and Kelly so can get a better look at both, so probably is on his mind, but just hoping we can get another year or two out of Gordon.

I suspect another crack at Gunn will potentially be made next year, but with his career stalled at the moment I do not think the urge is all that strong for the time being.

38 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Think Clarke is relying on McLaughlin being Rangers No1 in near future, and admited that he is switching between Clark and Kelly so can get a better look at both, so probably is on his mind, but just hoping we can get another year or two out of Gordon.

I suspect another crack at Gunn will potentially be made next year, but with his career stalled at the moment I do not think the urge is all that strong for the time being.

The last time I saw Gunn play he conceded 9 goals and was extremely English. 

Edited by ProudScot

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

I think Gordon will continue until the next Euro's, as goalkeepers playing into the 40's is hardly anything unusual these days.

I do think though that an approach will be made to Angus Gunn next year though, as England are effectively set for keepers for the next 10 years, his career has stalled at the moment and he will be wrong side of 25.

If he accepts is another thing, but imagine there will be a stronger chance then there has been over the last decade.

Who the F is Angus Gunn? I'd rather see Jimmy Gunn in the sticks.

Gunn played for Stoke last season on loan and it must have been in his contract that he had to have a certain amount of appearances because he was the worst of our three keepers by miles - his confidence seemed totally shot to shit and regularly dropped clangers. 

The young lad whose played this season lost his place last season for one dodgy performance and was let go on loan to accommodate him too so was all a bit confusing.   

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

I think Gordon will continue until the next Euro's, as goalkeepers playing into the 40's is hardly anything unusual these days.

I do think though that an approach will be made to Angus Gunn next year though, as England are effectively set for keepers for the next 10 years, his career has stalled at the moment and he will be wrong side of 25.

If he accepts is another thing, but imagine there will be a stronger chance then there has been over the last decade.

I'd stick Angus Young in goals before that erse.  Bizarrely enough though he's got a stronger claim to a Scotland jersey than many our managers have gone hooring the jersey out to.  Still, he's previously made his bed so can go lie in it.

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

I don't know if it just the incentive of that. After a couple of years out the game at a relatively early age (30-32) and his time sharing the jersey at Celtic, his body is probably nowhere near as banged up as goalkeeper his age normally is. I'm not sure he'll make EURO 2024 as a Scotland number 1 but I can definitely see him still playing at Hearts until then.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

The last time I saw Gunn play he conceded 9 goals and was extremely English. 

I don't know why people are always talking about his call up. Even if he wanted to play for us, he has been honking for a number of years. He was abysmal at Stoke and has barely played in years outside of that.

He can't even get a game for a horrific Norwich side. Even when they go down Krul will probably still be number 1.

I think people think he is still a young keeper at 22/23. He isn't he turns 26 in January and does done nothing positive in 3/4 years.

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

McCrorie will be an excellent keeper I think. He’s already a very good one. Just needs to manage his career from here and either get a move from Ibrox or force his way ahead of McLaughlin. McGregor won’t be there forever. 

McGregor has started declining a bit and I feel this will be his final season. Gerrard has alluded to him starting to feel it physically. There is a reason McLaughlin has played around half our games this season despite McGregor not being injured this season.

McGregor is probably picked in the biggest games. But it seems more like they are sharing the jersey this season, rather than McLaughlin being a back up. This is also probably with a view to McLaughlin being number 1 next season.

On McCrorie he needs a confidence boosting loan in January. His confidence got a bit shot at Livi and it affected his game. There is a good keeper there, but it needs to be brought out properly. Whether that is at Rangers or not, we'll find out in the next couple of years.

He had a good game against Celtic and made a couple of big saves. I was a bit disappointed we didn't loan him out untill the end of the season. They maybe felt he'd learn more from Rangers goalkeeping coaches and training with McGregor daily than going out on loan again. He hasn't really been at Rangers in 2/3 years, he's been out on loan during that period.

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Getting Souttar in would the most sense and just have Hendry play centrally in both games.
Big boost to see Tierney is fit again.

He might not add anyone. With cooper, McKenna and Hendry already in the squad and Mctominay likely to play rcb, that might be adequate cover for Hanley. 

39 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

The back three will almost certainly be Mctominay Hendry tierney. If tierney unfit then Cooper.

personally I prefer players that defend in defence.

Against the Danes i think we 100% need strong defenders in - against the Danes i would go 3-1-4-1-1- would go

Gordon

Hendry Cooper Tierney

McGregor

Paterson McTominay Gilmour Robertson

McGinn

Dykes

Keep it tight for an hour frustrate them and then open up for last 30 mins 

Moldova a back 3 of McTominay Hendry and Tierney could work but would need a central midfield that will anchor if one is making runs forward 

19 hours ago, bigfingers said:

He might not add anyone. With cooper, McKenna and Hendry already in the squad and Mctominay likely to play rcb, that might be adequate cover for Hanley. 

He definitely won't add another defender. It is only one player ruled out in that position. If another centre-back gets ruled out this weekend then Clarke may think about a replacement.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, bigfingers said:

Mot likely the case unless there are any more call offs this weekend

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I will get shot down in flames here but I don't see him as a big loss.

Massive loss against a team like Moldova when our defenders should be in their half.

Not so much against Denmark were I would imagine our defenders will need to defend.

Edited by ceudmilefailte