News from the Camp - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

News from the Camp

gkm_vancouver

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

“The pain itself probably wouldn’t stop you playing. It’s if you played on it, it could get a lot, lot worse and you could get out for a lengthy time."

Happy to play a million games for the Celtic first team aged 9, but unwilling to take 2 painkilling injections or sing the national anthem for Scotland.

:P

Are you fuckin serious?????

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Why the hell was he not rested against Netherlands and Luxembourg...

Absolutely this. Said at the time that, given his injury record, it was bizarre that Tierney played at all against Luxembourg, never mind playing the full 90 minutes. 

4 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Why the hell was he not rested against Netherlands and Luxembourg...

Bonkers.

The Luxembourg team was crazy given no youth was given a chance and tired players all played again. 

There’s some serious question marks about some of the decisions Steve Clarke makes IMO. 

Kieran Tierney in UEFA Euro 2020 boost as Arsenal star takes part in FULL training ahead of England showdown

I used to give him pelters for pulling out of Scotland squads in the past, but I think we're now seeing the reasons why.

Celtic had a wonderkid on their hands and they severely overplayed him. It's not like they had to, it's the SPL, they could've played a youth player at left back and they'd beat 10 out of 11 teams.

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Kieran Tierney in UEFA Euro 2020 boost as Arsenal star takes part in FULL training ahead of England showdown

I used to give him pelters for pulling out of Scotland squads in the past, but I think we're now seeing the reasons why.

Celtic had a wonderkid on their hands and they severely overplayed him. It's not like they had to, it's the SPL, they could've played a youth player at left back and they'd beat 10 out of 11 teams.

Wasn't just the SPL, they played him against Brechin City ffs

13 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Are you fuckin serious?????

Hey kids! Welcome to another episode of 'Internetting with Dave'! Today we're going to look using things called 'emojis'.

Back in the olden days, when the internet was run on toasters and only used by geeks, a method of communicating the tone of written posts was invented.

My favourite emoji is the tounge-in-cheek one. What's yours?

https://emojipedia.org/face-with-tongue/

😛 Face with Tongue

Emoji Meaning

A yellow face with small, open eyes and a big grin, playfully sticking out its tongue. Can variously convey a sense of fun, excitement, silliness, cuteness, happiness, or jesting, as if saying Just kidding!

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's a great question.

He hadn't played for Arsenal for a while due to injury so he did need minutes, to be fair, but keeping him on for the full 90 against Luxembourg in a friendly on the eve of a major tournament was a strange decision indeed.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Bonkers.

The Luxembourg team was crazy given no youth was given a chance and tired players all played again. 

There’s some serious question marks about some of the decisions Steve Clarke makes IMO. 

Gilmour, Patterson and Nisbet all featured in that game.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Hey kids! Welcome to another episode of 'Internetting with Dave'! Today we're going to look using things called 'emojis'.

Back in the olden days, when the internet was run on toasters and only used by geeks, a method of communicating the tone of written posts was invented.

😛 Face with Tongue

Emoji Meaning

A yellow face with small, open eyes and a big grin, playfully sticking out its tongue. Can variously convey a sense of fun, excitement, silliness, cuteness, happiness, or jesting, as if saying Just kidding!

What, you mean Kieran Tierney didn't make his debut for Celtic aged 9?? 😯

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

😛 Face with Tongue

Emoji Meaning

🤣🤣👏👋

🤪  This is mine as it most closely represents my own face after I have read some of the more obscure postings on these threads. Coincidentally enough it also represents what my face actually looked like when watching the Czech Republic match on Monday.............

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

True.

Giving him 160 minutes over those two matches was reckless.

Tierney has been passed fit. 

Even taking being injured a few days later out of it, I found it utterly bizarre that he (along with Robbo) played most of both games. Especially against Luxembourg.

There was no need for him to play more than 45 minutes against Luxembourg in a friendly. In all honesty why even start him (give him 20/30 at the end for fitness). The game should've been used for squad players to stake a claim for a start. 

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

9 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Even taking being injured a few days later out of it, I found it utterly bizarre that he (along with Robbo) played most of both games. Especially against Luxembourg.

There was no need for him to play more than 45 minutes against Luxembourg in a friendly. In all honesty why even start him (give him 20/30 at the end for fitness). The game should've been used for squad players to stake a claim for a start. 

100% agreed.

The more you think about it, the stranger it is. I think that it's easy to be wise after the event, but both should've had cameos in either match. Much like Wijnaldum and De Jong came off 30 minutes into our friendly  against the Dutch.

Patterson, especially, needs matches, as he sure as hell isn't getting them at club level.

Looking again at the post match interviews Steve comes across defiant and hard nosed with answers you could call 'minimalist' to say the least. Quite like the attitude actually. Obviously his plan for the Czech game didn't quite work out so he knows what he has to do. We've basically got another Serbia game but this time it's 90 minutes to win (ideally by 2 goals). He did it last time and this game is easier to know what is needed. He can do it!:bouncy:

• 2 months later...

A bit of recognition on lessons learnt from the Euros and some chat about continuity of the squad. Wouldn't be drawn on how many points would be good from the next 3 games but then a quip that '9 points would be nice'. If only....Hopefully as he mentions about the new coaches, we will have a few more ideas from set pieces which has been one of our weaknesses in recent games which would help to get us some better results

19 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

A bit of recognition on lessons learnt from the Euros and some chat about continuity of the squad. Wouldn't be drawn on how many points would be good from the next 3 games but then a quip that '9 points would be nice'. If only....Hopefully as he mentions about the new coaches, we will have a few more ideas from set pieces which has been one of our weaknesses in recent games which would help to get us some better results

By the sounds of it, there will be more onus on set pieces, as there should be. I wonder if Turnbull will be pushed further up the pecking order. He is by far and away the best set piece taker and one of the most natural long range strikers of a ball. 2 things we really lacked at the Euros. 

Putting a brave face on it but apart from the Czechs losing their whole team in the Euro qualies has any other team had as many Covid issues than us over the past few months? Losing the set piece coach is yet another blow. Perhaps there is the off chance that with a threadbare team there are less things to worry about other than just putting a team out to get a result...

19 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Putting a brave face on it but apart from the Czechs losing their whole team in the Euro qualies has any other team had as many Covid issues than us over the past few months? Losing the set piece coach is yet another blow. Perhaps there is the off chance that with a threadbare team there are less things to worry about other than just putting a team out to get a result...

The covid issues/protocols are a pain in the backside when it comes to call-offs but agree with what Clarke is saying regarding still being competitive.

We're threadbare in terms of squad depth, but from our first choice starting XI we're only missing O'Donnell/Patterson, McTominay and McGinn for the Denmark game. The latter two in particular are important players for us, but we should be able to replace the three positions with (likely) Fraser, Hendry and McLean without too much of a dramatic decline in quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Put subtitles on to hear properly. A bit defiant and giving the press a bit of stick - so questions were limited and a few probably kept quiet. Good thing to hear that he is treating every game as a cup final. Hasn't always appeared that way but with the last triple header results and a great chance he can get us to the play-offs it will without doubt demonstrate progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Clarke interview:

"Where are we going to be as a country? Are we going to be a pot four team or are we going to be a pot two team. Decisions you make now can influence that. Hopefully we can have some bearing on that now. Listen, my job is to get results for the A team. But you still have to lay the groundwork for future generations."

Highly encouraging! Yet another myth put to bed that Clarke isn't connected to the youth teams. Clarke just keeps proving every cynic wrong, time after time.