Round of 16 and beyond. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Round of 16 and beyond.

Clootie Dumpling

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

If it's Budapest we can expect a very decent amount of tickets. 

I'd go. They seem to give decent warnings of countries turning to red - maybe 4 / 5 days so you'd think that would be enough time to only have to 'amber' quarantine. 

Bizarre that I could get a ticket for a game in Hungary more easily than one walking distance from my house!

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

On a side note - what a joke it is the 3 teams can qualify from a group of 4. What a money grab. 

Tbf it's been the format for 24 team tournaments for decades now.

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Bizarre that I could get a ticket for a game in Hungary more easily than one walking distance from my house!

Yeh only been 1 euro with it - not a fan.

Can understand its to shoe horn in another round of games (£££)

17 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Yeh only been 1 euro with it - not a fan.

Can understand its to shoe horn in another round of games (£££)

Preferred the 16 team Euros myself but the sad fact is we wouldn't have qualified for it.

2 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

On a side note - what a joke it is the 3 teams can qualify from a group of 4. What a money grab. 

That it may be Gary but it’s not exactly new.

The best 4 3rd placed teams qualified from groups in the 1986 and 1990 World Cups. Unfortunately we weren’t one of them. Same in 1994 until the competition increased to 32 teams in 1998.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Not the Euros it hasn’t. Last one was the first one to have 24 teams. 

5 minutes ago, Marky said:

That it may be Gary but it’s not exactly new.

The best 4 3rd placed teams qualified from groups in the 1986 and 1990 World Cups. Unfortunately we weren’t one of them. Same in 1994 until the competition increased to 32 teams in 1998.

Like that. Didn’t know that. 

16 minutes ago, Marky said:

Not the Euros it hasn’t. Last one was the first one to have 24 teams. 

I remember before the last Euros loads of English media/pundits complained about having more teams, that the quality would be diluted, more poor teams/games, etc. Typical arrogance. 

As it turns out England got knocked out by Iceland, Wales got to the semis and I think NI got to quarters? These are all teams the English automatically think they’re better than. There are enough good teams in Europe to have a 24 team tournament without sacrificing quality.

Also, it’s good for us as the WC is harder to qualify for now.😊

20 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

I remember before the last Euros loads of English media/pundits complained about having more teams, that the quality would be diluted, more poor teams/games, etc. Typical arrogance. 

As it turns out England got knocked out by Iceland, Wales got to the semis and I think NI got to quarters? These are all teams the English automatically think they’re better than. There are enough good teams in Europe to have a 24 team tournament without sacrificing quality.

Also, it’s good for us as the WC is harder to qualify for now.😊

👍

4 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

It’s not as bad as the Copa America this year. 

Two groups of 5 and top 4 from each group go through. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s not as bad as the Copa America this year. 

Two groups of 5 and top 4 from each group go through. 

They probably get fed up playing each other anaw.   Hence the invitees... Mexico made the final once.

Anyway, we've been there before with 3rd place teams going through.   I'm not falling for that one again 😄

Or maybeeeeeee...

5 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

They probably get fed up playing each other anaw.   Hence the invitees... Mexico made the final once.

Anyway, we've been there before with 3rd place teams going through.   I'm not falling for that one again 😄

Or maybeeeeeee...

Big difference this time is we have 2 games at Hampden. We’ll probably never have a better chance of getting out of a group.

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Big difference this time is we have 2 games at Hampden. We’ll probably never have a better chance of getting out of a group.

I'm not setting up an excuse here, but have been wondering where 12,500 ranks in Hampden crowds.   I believe I've been at one lower full international.

...current Hampden park, I mean.

Edited by Grim Jim

9 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I'm not setting up an excuse here, but have been wondering where 12,500 ranks in Hampden crowds.   I believe I've been at one lower full international.

...current Hampden park, I mean.

Fair point but home advantage with a quarter full house must count for something surely? We’ll find out I guess. 

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Looks like 29 th for either of those places if I have read this correctly. 

1E46419B-F2C9-4E69-AD5F-95FC4DCEE83A.thumb.png.4bca0d01ce144244716268f7e73893d6.png

Typical a Tuesday. Took next week off to go to the games assuming ticket levels were high enough for us low pointers. 

Tuesday is the one day of the week I am actually needed in.

Thanks for posting, now if you could just work out the quarter finals let me know😀

Let UEFA know Sunday is good for me.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Typical a Tuesday. Took next week off to go to the games assuming ticket levels were high enough for us low pointers. 

Tuesday is the one day of the week I am actually needed in.

Thanks for posting, now if you could just work out the quarter finals let me know😀

Let UEFA know Sunday is good for me.

😁 I would double check my calculation, I booked a day off work after the Switzerland /Turkey game thinking it was Scotland/ Croatia.

We are more likely to come 3rd than 1st in the group , 3rd place is a 9pm kick off. You might still manage it 👍

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁 I would double check my calculation, I booked a day off work after the Switzerland /Turkey game thinking it was Scotland/ Croatia.

We are more likely to come 3rd than 1st in the group , 3rd place is a 9pm kick off. You might still manage it 👍

Final is on a Sunday so everything is good.

24 minutes ago, rOsCo2 said:

Pretty sure if we finish 3rd then Sunday 27th game is also a possibility

15 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

According to the schedule I printed off if we finish 3rd we will either play at 17:00 or 20:00 on Sunday 27th. The winners and runners up in our group play on Monday 28th and Tuesday 29th, can’t remember which way around.

Yes, you are both right, there are 2 possible dates. I just saw 3D under Sunday i didnt think there was more than potential date. 

What decides the date you get  ? Is it where you are sitting within the 4 best 3rd placed teams ? 

image.png.75a859b599ef419d4d89903238c0a087.png

Here's how it calculated. As we know, the top 4 third placed teams qualify. You then use the table above to work out which four groups they have come from, and then the second table shows who you play.

So in the First line it assumes that Groups A, B, C, & D are the best placed 3rds. In that scenario we would play the winners of group C (Sunday 5pm)

4th line assumes it is A,B,D & E. We then would play winners of group B (Sunday 8pm)

etc etc

So in summary, it is impossible to second guess the four 3rd placed teams and which potential match we would play!

Edited by rOsCo2
typo

34 minutes ago, rOsCo2 said:

Here's how it calculated. As we know, the top 4 third placed teams qualify. You then use the table above to work out which four groups they have come from, and then the second table shows who you play.

So in the First line it assumes that Groups A, B, C, & D are the best placed 3rds. In that scenario we would play the winners of group C (Sunday 5pm)

4th line assumes it is A,B,D & E. We then would play winners of group B (Sunday 8pm)

etc etc

So in summary, it is impossible to second guess the four 3rd placed teams and which potential match we would play!

Mentioned on another thread, with this format historically the 3rd place teams in groups E and F qualify as they play last and know what to do.

In that case if another of the four 3rd place teams is from our group they will play at Hampden in Round 2 on Tuesday 29th at 8pm, probably against Spain.

Edited by Toepoke

40 minutes ago, rOsCo2 said:

etc etc

Thanks. I hadn’t bothered looking beyond the group stages till now but am worryingly getting more optimistic. 

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Mentioned on another thread, with this format historically the 3rd place teams in groups E and F qualify as they play last and know what to do.

In that case if another of the four 3rd place teams is from our group they will play at Hampden in Round 2 on Tuesday 29th at 8pm, probably against Spain.

Sorry Toepoke, what do you mean by 3rd placed teams in E and F know what to do ?