Sad Mindsets of Old - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sad Mindsets of Old

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/26/2021 at 9:45 AM, er yir macaroon said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/nostalgia/3165157/eyewitness-when-alex-ferguson-and-graeme-souness-were-in-each-others-faces-at-the-1986-world-cup/amp/

“But, without him, the Scots simply wilted, our optimism faded and when Steve Nicol squandered our best chance, one of the other substitutes turned to me and said: “Geez, that was a lucky break’.

“I looked quizzically at him and he added: ‘Well, would it really be such a disaster if we don’t win this?’

“I could understand where he was coming from. In the cold light of day, we were never in with a shout of hoisting the World Cup and the winners of our tie with Uruguay were scheduled to meet [eventual winners] Argentina, Diego Maradona and the rest, in the next round.

“All we were doing was delaying the inevitable and that summed up what turned into a pretty lousy event for us. In fact, I’ve never fathomed why there was so little fuss from the supporters about 1986.”

Unbelievable stuff, fucking losers. 

A top class manager with a quality squad went out with a whimper and fuck all was said

In that respect he's right

On 5/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, Orraloon said:

Rough was 3rd choice goalie in 86, would he even have been on the bench for that game? He knew he was never getting a game in 86 and was just along for the ride. He was amazed that he'd even been selected for the squad.

I smell one of his wee stories, here. Who wouldn't want to have the chance to play in the World Cup against Maradona? Sounds like shyte to me.

Rough was second choice, Goram at that time, third. 

6 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Goram was on the bench for the 3 games, Rough wasn't selected in the matchday 16 for any of the games.

That's how I remember it, but it was a long time ago. So, I could be wrong?

Edited by Orraloon

On 5/26/2021 at 9:40 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

The thing that still puzzles me is how the flying fuck did he win 50+ caps. It is a mighty sad indictment of how weak we were in that era for goalkeepers. He has to be the worst long-term goalkeeper I have seen in a Scotland shirt.

Roughie was a magnificent shot-stopper and rarely lost one on ones. Also good a distributor who understood the game better than many goalies. Worse than dodgy on the cross-ball which is why he didn't get a big move from Thistle in an era when crosses whizzed in to big centre forwards with regularity. This was less of a problem in International football where some opponents relied less on crosses.

10 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Goram was on the bench for the 3 games, Rough wasn't selected in the matchday 16 for any of the games.

Remember him saying before the West Germany game when the players were warming up he was taps aff sunbathing at the side of the pitch.

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tell it like it is pundits at the end.

Be in no doubt, for fans of a certain age this match was absolutely agonising. Being at a finals is a chance to exorcise this ghost. My fury at Rough’s comments comes from the misery this game continues to cause. Somehow not qualifying for finals was less agonising than falling short when actually there. I guess it is all the anticipation, like we’re beginning to experiencing now. Wait and see what it is like in a couple of weeks and imagine how it would be for a 16 year old anticipating a major tournament. Imagine then finding out that certain players couldn’t be arsed to be there after failing to beat a team of ten men and barely managing a shot at goal. 

just watched the first half again and Uruguay were dirty bastards, worse than I remembered.  With the referee so weak I can’t understand why we didn’t mix it and kick their kunts in.  Why didnt we get sourness on and batter them?

46 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

just watched the first half again and Uruguay were dirty bastards, worse than I remembered.  With the referee so weak I can’t understand why we didn’t mix it and kick their kunts in.  Why didnt we get sourness on and batter them?

Time to move on bud 😂

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Why didnt we get sourness on and batter them?

Would've been a perfect game for Souness but as mentioned he wasn't even on the bench.

Fergie should've brought Cooper on a lot earlier, he was in the form of his life and would surely have created some opportunities. 

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Would've been a perfect game for Souness but as mentioned he wasn't even on the bench.

Fergie should've brought Cooper on a lot earlier, he was in the form of his life and would surely have created some opportunities. 

It also seems to have been forgotten that Souness had been shitting for Scotland for the best part of two weeks. He was very poor in the first two games. Probably focusing too much attention on not unclenching his erse cheeks. A lot of the other players were suffering too. Davie Cooper was one of them, I think. The conditions just didn't really suit us. 

But, as Strachan said, overall we just weren't good enough.

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It also seems to have been forgotten that Souness had been shitting for Scotland for the best part of two weeks. He was very poor in the first two games. Probably focusing too much attention on not unclenching his erse cheeks. A lot of the other players were suffering too. Davie Cooper was one of them, I think. The conditions just didn't really suit us. 

But, as Strachan said, overall we just weren't good enough.

Maradona aside it was a poor World Cup. Matches played at walking pace on dry bobbly pitches. Appreciate they had to satisfy the European TV audience, but matches kicking off at midday in the tropics was not the best recipe for good football.

The thing that always amazes me is that considering the players that we had and the relative strength of the Scottish League, as demonstrated by the performances of Scottish clubs in European competitions, is that the team from 1962 through to 1970 doesn't get any criticism whatsoever for their consistent underperformance and failure.  In fact purely on the basis of the game at Wembley in 1967 they have some sort of mythical heroic status.

If you want an example of the Scottish psyche, its writ large in that.

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

The thing that always amazes me is that considering the players that we had and the relative strength of the Scottish League, as demonstrated by the performances of Scottish clubs in European competitions, is that the team from 1962 through to 1970 doesn't get any criticism whatsoever for their consistent underperformance and failure.  In fact purely on the basis of the game at Wembley in 1967 they have some sort of mythical heroic status.

If you want an example of the Scottish psyche, its writ large in that.

It was much harder to qualify in those days. For those three World Cups we got knocked out by Czechoslovakia (who went on to be runners-up in Chile), Italy and West Germany. 

Meanwhile England only had to beat Melchester Rovers, and got a bye ( or was it a BUY?) into the finals in 66 and 70. We always got the toughest of draws. :lol:

For the play off for the 62 finals against Czechoslovakia, the self destruct button was pressed before extra time with Baxter and Crerand fighting over a water bottle. We had a really excellent squad then who could have done well in Chile.

Another example of the SFA's lack of foresight is the fact we didn't enter the first two European Championships in 1960 and 64.

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

For the play off for the 62 finals against Czechoslovakia, the self destruct button was pressed before extra time with Baxter and Crerand fighting over a water bottle. We had a really excellent squad then who could have done well in Chile.

Another example of the SFA's lack of foresight is the fact we didn't enter the first two European Championships in 1960 and 64.

Possibly the first time they had seen a water bottle. Bet it wasn't supplied by the SFA. :lol:

46 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Maradona aside it was a poor World Cup. Matches played at walking pace on dry bobbly pitches. Appreciate they had to satisfy the European TV audience, but matches kicking off at midday in the tropics was not the best recipe for good football.

that’s a good point. Just as well that fifa have learned from that and are having the next World Cup in a more temperate Qatar!  🙈