For older Dons fans ...... 1970 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

For older Dons fans ...... 1970

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/04/09/1970-the-road-to-hampden/

was curious about first photo of joe harper in this link - clearly not from Clyde game ; if you look at other photos of kit ; and also keeper in black....

- thinking it may of been partick or motherwell ( yellow tops / red or claret shorts & socks ....)

bit of a trainspotter tbh when it comes to kits ; but i'd read before that dons played in a blue/white striped kit v clydebank (juniors trained at pittodrie - hamper borrowed)

for some reason if any opponents had a splash of red , then forced to change - ie clydebank , airdrie etc = bear in mind , celtic v hibs played each other thru til mid 80s in their normal home kits - i also recall a morton v rangers cup game where a lot of blue and white ......

the brockville photos are interesting  -even for state of the pitch - i was only ever there for the game where we stayed up mid 90s 

find it hard to believe too , that only 2000 at home v clyde.... (ie look at the beach end alone )

this was just before my time for attending games - think it was season 72/73 in a 2-2 draw v falkirk , was my first = old 1st div ; a 4-3 v east fife ; (nice kit) being another that stood out for some reason ; was at time were close to 30,000 for old firm games / pre segregation , as is now

in later years we only got close to that at the U21s game v england where still bench seating

4 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Almost 26,000 for the Semi-Final at Muirton Park.

Must have been like sardines.

Having spoken to older Killie fans who were there, there was some amount of bother too.

Probably hastened the demise of the "football special" train services. 

55 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Having spoken to older Killie fans who were there, there was some amount of bother too.

My dad was up on one of the specials from Killie. 

Said the full day was wild. Running battles between fans the full game and not helped with inadequate venue for the size of crowd. 

2 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

A neutral semi-final!! Was supposed to be there for St Mirren in '82 then it got switched to Celtic Park for some reason? My Dad promised I could go, before the switch, so that was my first game in Glasgow. Look after your car for you..

I was at that game as well, and the reply at Dens the following Wednesday, thought Saints were the better side in both games, but our goalie Billy Thomson had an absolute nightmare, was at fault for all 3 Dons goals in a 3-2 defeat.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

My last definite memory of a special was dons v hibs lge cup final ; 85-86

old compartment carriages and guard selling mr kipling cakes from one ot those 

may have only been for finals / v england games at hampden by then ?

lot of guys i went with had started using regular train service or driving by then so not sure when the servive actually ceased

i do remember the ticket to hampden allowed a change from queen st to central to queens park

3 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

My last definite memory of a special was dons v hibs lge cup final ; 85-86

old compartment carriages and guard selling mr kipling cakes from one ot those 

may have only been for finals / v england games at hampden by then ?

lot of guys i went with had started using regular train service or driving by then so not sure when the servive actually ceased

i do remember the ticket to hampden allowed a change from queen st to central to queens park

In thinking about the hampden trains ; went to central ; then cross street for different level for hampden

i also recall a story about a guy who was killed on a special ; climbing on roof ; this was mid 80s i think ; near kirkaldy / tunnel ? Am sure it was Dons cup tie where train stopped haymarket ; wonder if this was final straw for football specials … cant find any news archive of it though ; just heard about it back then

Used to be football specials laid on late 70’s to mid 80’s from Paisley - Cartsdyke when we played Morton.

Glasgow  - Ayr was a busy route so they tried to keep football supporters away from the public, it was always ramshackled old carriages they used, which was just as well cos they normally got totally wrecked on the way back to Paisley ( win, lose or draw ) didn’t seem to matter. 

On 5/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, Jersey Jim said:

I was at that game as well, and the reply at Dens the following Wednesday, thought Saints were the better side in both games, but our goalie Billy Thomson had an absolute nightmare, was at fault for all 3 Dons goals in a 3-2 defeat.

My luck didn't stretch to getting to a midweek replay but going by the highlights neither goalie covered themselves in glory. My Granda was at the '59 Final when he thought we were certs to win, what a competitive period that was though..

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 1:22 PM, mr mojo risin said:

My luck didn't stretch to getting to a midweek replay but going by the highlights neither goalie covered themselves in glory. My Granda was at the '59 Final when he thought we were certs to win, what a competitive period that was though..

My old driving instructor in 80 s was a keen Dons fan ; i mind after my first cup final at hampden ‘84 telling him about the size of the queues at train station after game ( and first time seeing police horses …)

he then tells me he was at the 1937? Final ; prob at least double at that game 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 7:32 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

My old driving instructor in 80 s was a keen Dons fan ; i mind after my first cup final at hampden ‘84 telling him about the size of the queues at train station after game ( and first time seeing police horses …)

he then tells me he was at the 1937? Final ; prob at least double at that game 

My uncles were at the '37 final  hoping far a Dons win.