The news thread - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

SNP and the Greens have apparently agreed on a deal that will see them form a formal coalition government. It's expected to be confirmed later.

My dream scenario. Brace yourself for some of the most toe curling woke shite ever seen. This is going to be hilarious. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

My dream scenario. Brace yourself for some of the most toe curling woke shite ever seen. This is going to be hilarious. 

Hopefully not. 😟

Like Aaid said, if the SNP wanted to get other things through parliament they could anyway (as well as the Greens, the Lib Dems, albeit there are only four of them, like to do the wokey-cokey too). 

Apparently the Greens are in line for two cabinet posts.  Providing one of them doesn't go to Ross Greer and if this coalition gets another indyref off the ground I can thole it.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Hopefully not. 😟

Like Aaid said, if the SNP wanted to get other things through parliament they could anyway (as well as the Greens, the Lib Dems, albeit there are only four of them, like to do the wokey-cokey too). 

Apparently the Greens are in line for two cabinet posts.  Providing one of them doesn't go to Ross Greer and if this coalition gets another indyref off the ground I can thole it.

I'm actually hoping they give Ross Greer a junior role in education as it might stop the insufferable little prick whining constantly about it when he realises how difficult it actually is.

32 minutes ago, scotlad said:

:lol:

On a more serious point, Slater rather than Harvie is probably a good person to get directly involved.  She’s an engineer in the renewables - until she became an MSP - and should therefore be useful in transitioning from O&G to renewables, including the need to transfer jobs as well.

Just going through it now as its dropped in my inbox.  I'll look forwards to debating the detail with people who haven't read it themselves but who've picked up some hot-takes from @ResignSturgeon7328732 on Twitter and think they know what they're talking about.

For those who think these things are important, the section on Independence is first - okay, second if you include the introduction.

● secure a referendum on Scottish independence after the Covid crisis. This would be within the current parliamentary session on a specific date to be determined by the Scottish Parliament. If the Covid crisis has passed, our intention is for the referendum to be within the first half of the five-year parliamentary session.

Edited by aaid

On 8/20/2021 at 9:16 AM, scotlad said:

SNP and the Greens have apparently agreed on a deal that will see them form a formal coalition government. It's expected to be confirmed later.

With all the environmental/climate change issues getting more apparent, less trust in pretty much all the mainstream parties, can only see the Greens getting stronger with more votes which in turn ought to result in more seats so seems like a smart move.

24 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

With all the environmental/climate change issues getting more apparent, less trust in pretty much all the mainstream parties, can only see the Greens getting stronger with more votes which in turn ought to result in more seats so seems like a smart move.

It wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to see them overtaking Labour in Scotland.  

Black shirted men march through centre of Glasgow calling for an ethnic minority to go home.

So far there seems to be silence from the football club they follow, and from their political bedfellows.

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

For an English person who does not feel welcome she has hung around long enough to become an MSP. 

Purely anecdotal but I spoke about this to my mother a couple of years ago.  She’s English and has lived in Scotland for close to 60 years.  She said she’d never had anyone express anything directly to her. Occasionally she’s been in company when someone’s made some derogatory comment about the English and then the individual’s remembered she’s English and apologised along that lines of “obviously I don’t mean you”.

You’d be foolish to believe that there aren’t Scottish people who have bigoted views towards English people but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as is made out.   These things are tracked these days when they’re reported to the police so it would be interesting to see what they are.  As the English are the largest single national group in Scotland you’d think in terms of numbers that it’d be relatively high, I bet it’s not.

edit- and here you go.

18% against people of Pakistani origin, 10% white Scottish, 7% other white British.

For comparison, based on the 2011 census, “other white British” was about 10 times higher than Pakistani  

https://www.gov.scot/publications/study-characteristics-police-recorded-hate-crime-scotland/

Edited by aaid

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

Purely anecdotal but I spoke about this to my mother a couple of years ago.  She’s English and has lived in Scotland for close to 60 years.  She said she’d never had anyone express anything directly to her. Occasionally she’s been in company when someone’s made some derogatory comment about the English and then the individual’s remembered she’s English and apologised along that lines of “obviously I don’t mean you”.

You’d be foolish to believe that there aren’t Scottish people who have bigoted views towards English people but I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as is made out.   These things are tracked these days when they’re reported to the police so it would be interesting to see what they are.  As the English are the largest single national group in Scotland you’d think in terms of numbers that it’d be relatively high, I bet it’s not.

edit- and here you go.

18% against people of Pakistani origin, 10% white Scottish, 7% other white British.

For comparison, based on the 2011 census, “other white British” was about 10 times higher than Pakistani  

https://www.gov.scot/publications/study-characteristics-police-recorded-hate-crime-scotland/

Like you say, I dont think anyone feels there are no anti English people in Scotland, but given the number of English people who continue to visit Scotland or actually choose to live here,  it most certainly is not a huge issue. I am pretty sure there are plenty of Scots down in England who suffer similar incidents. Scots are more likely to be anti Tory than anti English which is perhaps where her confusion lies. 

25 minutes ago, exile said:

Looks like there's an election bill coming up -

Elections bill is ‘a power grab to rig polls in favour of Tories’

- as well as the dogy ID related stuff, the idea Michael Gove would have sway over Electoral Commission (referenda?) doesn't bear thinking about. 🤮

Holyrood has control over all elections and referenda in Scotland, the only exception is UK parliamentary elections.

If the Electoral Commission became politically biased. I don’t think it would be a problem to cut them out and create a Scottish equivalent 

• 4 weeks later...

It just seems ineffectual. It's more likely to increase public support for anti-protest laws as opposed to public support for house insulation laws/ the greater climate change debate.

I wonder how many undercover cops are in their steering group.

I remember reading about Vladislav Surkov a few years back and wandering if Dominic Cummings/ Tory strategy had/ could have been influenced via his playbook.  Looking at the current state of Labour and SNP, along with protest groups in general doing mad  shit that’ll just piss folk off, they’d look to be on the same page.