The news thread - Page 56 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/13/2022 at 5:13 PM, vanderark14 said:

Parklife can be found on afc chat doing exactly the same. Usually round rings round right wing morons.

Cheers, bud. Running rings round right-wing morons is my (online) raison d'etre. 

Hope you're well! 

I’m hearing analysts talking about a big fall in Sterling and a currency crisis by Christmas , with the pound falling below parity against the dollar.

as we buy oil in dollars this is going to add another 20% to that.  The consequence of this is inflation is going to spiral even further out of control.  Welcome to britain, the Venezuela of Europe.  Interest rates are going to have to rise massively.

we are fucked.

17 hours ago, kumnio said:

The CCP can go fuck themselves. Can’t believe you quoted one of the goons, from twitter of all places. 

So I should have quoted some random Chinese citizen unaffiliated with the Chinese government to show the shocking state of Chinese-American relations then? WTF. And what the fuck has twitter got to do with it. Other than that great points.

Don't you find it a bit interesting that he is calling out 9/11 as a false flag. Because it was and they know it. It seems like the only people who still fall for it and the mugs in the West who believe their own media.

Putin also knows who killed JFK, could not be clearer. (I don't think he was ever the former head of the KGB though.)

Oliver Stone was right in his overall conclusion. The murder of Kennedy was a coup d'etat. And the forces that seized power have been running the show ever since. Eisenhower directly warned about it in his farewell speech and it was only a few short years later that they killed Kennedy. It was that obvious.

If one consequence of this war against them is that the Russians and Chinese start revealing what they know about these events then it would be very good thing IMHO. But of course you'd have people instantly foaming at the mouth about how talking about 9/11 or JFK is now doing Putin's bidding or I am quoting CCP goons on twitter no less. Despite the fact I was talking about them on here over a decade ago. That is how fucking stupid things now are.

Who do you think is behind the current shit show... People talk about late stage capitalism but what we are seeing here is late-stage coup, late-stage deep-state. First they killed the elected president and now they have fully evolved and are openly attacking the electorate themselves. It was a natural evolution as they cling to their ill-gotten gain, power. 

We are living in an empire of lies. It is literally true. The Chinese did not do that to us nor did the Russians. 

Edited by thplinth

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I’m hearing analysts talking about a big fall in Sterling and a currency crisis by Christmas , with the pound falling below parity against the dollar.

as we buy oil in dollars this is going to add another 20% to that.  The consequence of this is inflation is going to spiral even further out of control.  Welcome to britain, the Venezuela of Europe.  Interest rates are going to have to rise massively.

we are fucked.

Listen to you... agent of Putin and all that jazz... 😀

Sadly I agree with your assessment. 

And all the while it happens there will be a simple way out of it. But you'd rather see the country fucked than even acknowledge it never mind do it. 

And for what? A war based on lies (yet another one)?  A lot of people in Europe on the margins are going to die as a result of this. They are just being thrown to the dogs. It is scandalous.

I am not sure the current generations have it in them to riot anymore. I think they are too domesticated now, too subservient and too surveilled. I suspect they will just lie down and take it (especially in Scotland). 

Yeah the ruble is very strong and so is the US Dollar. Anyone might think this was all a crude con job to transfer enormous sums of wealth out of Europe to our imperial masters. The important thing is the US stays the global top-dog and fuck European pensioners and those on low incomes, much like the citizens of Ukraine, Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan... etc etc.

Warm banks, councils are considering using community spaces to keep people warm this winter. You did read that right, the mighty UK, this Tory government have overseen record openings of food banks, adverts to help feed people in the UK and now people may have to go to community centres and libraries to keep warm. 

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Listen to you... agent of Putin and all that jazz... 😀

Sadly I agree with your assessment. 

And all the while it happens there will be a simple way out of it. But you'd rather see the country fucked than even acknowledge it never mind do it. 

And for what? A war based on lies (yet another one)?  A lot of people in Europe on the margins are going to die as a result of this. They are just being thrown to the dogs. It is scandalous.

I am not sure the current generations have it in them to riot anymore. I think they are too domesticated now, too subservient and too surveilled. I suspect they will just lie down and take it (especially in Scotland). 

Yeah the ruble is very strong and so is the US Dollar. Anyone might think this was all a crude con job to transfer enormous sums of wealth out of Europe to our imperial masters. The important thing is the US stays the global top-dog and fuck European pensioners and those on low incomes, much like the citizens of Ukraine, Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan... etc etc.

say we did it your way.   Doff our cap to putin and remove sanctions, remove support to Ukraine.  What happens next? Putin moves in to Moldova, Latvia.   What’s after that? Putin moves in to Sweden, Finland….  Where next?

we are fucked royally either way…   

I think the real risk is that if things get so bad here that Europe starts seeing the possibility of a conventional war with Russia as the only option.  And we know where that could lead….

politically the tories will have to borrow and print money, otherwise they lose the next election.  We will kick the cam done the road.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Warm banks, councils are considering using community spaces to keep people warm this winter. You did read that right, the mighty UK, this Tory government have overseen record openings of food banks, adverts to help feed people in the UK and now people may have to go to community centres and libraries to keep warm. 

that will not be just for poor people.  That’s going to be everyone apart from the really rich.  This winter will be the starter for ten… people still have savings that might just get them through.  How many households will survive 10k energy bills and mortgages running at 1000s more a month which is what will happen when they come off fixed rates.

when the economy folds next year, repossessions will be off the scale.  When we hit winter 2023 we will be in a 30s style depression.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Warm banks, FFS 🤦‍♂️ Food banks were bad enough.

The UK in 2022 is like living in a Brass Eye sketch! But hey, at least we've got a permanent seat on the UN security council....

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

say we did it your way.   Doff our cap to putin and remove sanctions, remove support to Ukraine.  What happens next? Putin moves in to Moldova, Latvia.   What’s after that? Putin moves in to Sweden, Finland….  Where next?

Jesus man you need to turn off whatever garbage news channel you are listening to. The Russians have zero interest in, nor intention to do, any of that. The Ukrainians are losing and will lose. So end the pointless killing, negotiate a peace now before the Russians hold all the cards, demilitarize what remains of Ukraine and make it a neutral country. If parts want to join Poland or Hungary or Slovakia let them. Whatever is left of Ukraine it cannot be left in the hands of ultranationalists, i.e the neo-nazis, that is in no one's interest other than slavering mentalist neocons. Normalize relations with Russia get Nordstream1&2 pumping like fuck.

That would bring an end to the killing of tens of thousand of people, stop the shelling of nuclear power plants, bring energy and petrol prices back down to something not insane, allow us to bring down inflation, allow us avoid cratering our economies by making everything we produce uncompetitive and minimize the time spent in this potentially horrendous recession that we are entering. 

Sanctions are what sanctions do, there is no fixed form or type but their intended purpose is always the same, to punish and hurt the entity being sanctioned. So if it turns out the sanctions were ill conceived (on purpose or accidentally) and they actually hurt the entity doing the sanctions more than the target of the sanctions then you just reverse them and think of something else. To continue with them when it becomes obvious they are a bad idea is stupid and it is glaringly obvious now just how stupid. So reverse them. 

Or what, you let old people freeze to death to in some pointless and futile gesture that will change nothing in Ukraine and murder our economies and impoverish us? Sometimes you make a mistake, as long as you rectify it is not a big deal. However a mistake becomes really damaging when for whatever reasons you fail to recognize it, or deny it, or ignore it and double down on it over a long period of time. This is the territory we are entering now....

The way it is looking now I am not the slightest bit optimistic. 

51 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The Russians have zero interest in, nor intention to do, any of that.

The Germans are only interested in the Sudetenland, they have no interest or intention to invade Czechoslovakia ...

Shamima Begum was smuggled/trafficked to Syria by an Intelligence agent working for Canada who was a double agent for ISIS

The UK covered it up whilst removing her British Citizenship as obviously this would go down better with their anti muslim base and right wing media

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

Mikhail Gorbachev has died. 91-years-old. A good innings for a decent man whose intentions as a leader were good.

I think a lot of us look back on him with respect and fondness. He'll have his critics and his reputation in Russia might not be great but for a few years he represented the hope of a better world and a better future. It's a shame that too many people (both East and West) didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

So, in a break from tradition, the Queen is to appoint next PM in Scotland. Feels like they're taking the proverbial.

Naw, Betty's no well.

She doesn't fancy goin aw the way doon tae the big stink for ceremonial shite 

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

I hope they take the plane off him and he has to get the Megabus back

😁 he will be unemployed and with  fuel prices so high he might need to actually drive it back with ‘ £350mio to fill this bus’ written on the side. 

Edited by TDYER63

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Nordstream been shut down again……

Meanwhile , after a £35.8 bn half yearly profit

Gazprom to pay Kremlin £8.6bn after record profits

‘’The dividend represents a setback in the west’s efforts to choke off the Russian economy through sanctions. The UK and Europe have also moved to phase out Russian oil and gas imports to prevent the west funding Vladimir Putin’s regime. However, Russia has instead ramped up oil exports to Asia and gas prices have soared in response to Gazprom cutting supplies into Europe.’’

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/31/gazprom-to-pay-kremlin-86bn-after-record-profits

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Meanwhile , after a £35.8 bn half yearly profit

Gazprom to pay Kremlin £8.6bn after record profits

‘’The dividend represents a setback in the west’s efforts to choke off the Russian economy through sanctions. The UK and Europe have also moved to phase out Russian oil and gas imports to prevent the west funding Vladimir Putin’s regime. However, Russia has instead ramped up oil exports to Asia and gas prices have soared in response to Gazprom cutting supplies into Europe.’’

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/31/gazprom-to-pay-kremlin-86bn-after-record-profits

this is going to hurt us a lot more than them.  USA seems to be pretty well set, which probably rules out us taking military action against Russia.