The news thread - Page 106 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11 hours ago, aaid said:

TBH, when was the last time that Lydon said anything positive about anyone?

Apart from himself, you mean? 😂

That's a good point but he was especially scathing about Keith Levene.

The people Lydon said nice things about in his book tended to be folk he met randomly rather than people he worked with. He's been very unlucky, in that almost everyone he's ever worked with turned out to be an arsehole. Funny that. 🤔

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

A while back I mentioned on the Series worth watching thread, the documentary Citizens of Boomtown is worth a watch. I see its back on BBC Iplayer for a couple of weeks. Its not solely about the Boomtown Rats there is a fair bit about the punk scene in general. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jjr5

A couple of mates of mine play in a tribute band and earlier in the summer they played on the same bill as the Boomtown Rats at a festival. They got on really well with them, had a few beers backstage and reported back that they were all great lads with one exception. No prizes for guessing who.

30 minutes ago, aaid said:

A couple of mates of mine play in a tribute band and earlier in the summer they played on the same bill as the Boomtown Rats at a festival. They got on really well with them, had a few beers backstage and reported back that they were all great lads with one exception. No prizes for guessing who.

Is this the small fakers you are talking about? Going to see them on Saturday night. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

A while back I mentioned on the Series worth watching thread, the documentary Citizens of Boomtown is worth a watch. I see its back on BBC Iplayer for a couple of weeks. Its not solely about the Boomtown Rats there is a fair bit about the punk scene in general. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jjr5

I wouldn't have had the Boomtown Rats down as part of the Punk Scene? I wonder what Jonny Rotten would have to say about that?

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I had a massive crush on him in my mid teens. Went to see them at The Apollo and found out the following day a girl from school had also been there and hid in the toilets at the end of the gig and met them. She had a stookie on her leg and they had all signed it. Remember being so jealous.

I wonder now what I saw in him. Funny how an arrogance in a person that is attractive when you are young becomes quite the opposite as you get older. 

I saw a documentary not so long abo, about Geldof/Boomtown Rats and he came across as massively arrogant and egotistic (who knew) and also pretty bitter. As if he was annoyed they never properly 'broke' America and never got the credit for what they coulda done. As if they were a brilliant band but just in the wrong place and wrong time. Like, they were ahead of their time, coulda shoulda been as big as U2, but paved the way for them.

54 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I had a massive crush on him in my mid teens. Went to see them at The Apollo and found out the following day a girl from school had also been there and hid in the toilets at the end of the gig and met them. She had a stookie on her leg and they had all signed it. Remember being so jealous.

I wonder now what I saw in him. Funny how an arrogance in a person that is attractive when you are young becomes quite the opposite as you get older. 

My first gig was the Rats at the Apollo.

Wonder if it was same one..🤔

79 I think it was.

Need to double check that.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I would have been 15 so I am pretty certain it would have been the same one. 

🤘😎 🐀🐁it was october ''79     (or is it 79'🤔😉)

had just turned 16....🤘😎

Edited by stocky

12 minutes ago, stocky said:

🤘😎 🐀🐁it was october ''79     (or is it 79'🤔😉)

had just turned 16....🤘😎

I see what you did there!!  I mean who in their right mind or the brain level over 11 put an apostrophe after a year???  LOL.  😒

CBI giving the Uk government a kicking. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63697458

Mr Danker will say people might be "arguing against immigration but it's the only thing that's increased the potential growth of our economy since March".

"Growth is a precondition to a stable society. Without growth the NHS gets worse not better. People's lives get worse not better. And we lack the resources we need to transform ourselves to a zero-carbon world," he will say.

"Yet Britain's had 15 years of low growth and flat-lining productivity. We can't afford a repeat.

Mr Danker will also call for trading regulations to be reformed, saying politicians could not longer blame EU rules. 

"The biggest regulatory barriers facing businesses today are based on British laws, created by a British Parliament, and administered by British regulators," he will say.