The news thread - Page 144 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Am I missing something? This seems a fairly new phenomena and I don't understand...

How can a venue cancel an event because some of their own staff don't like the performer? A venue is just a venue. An act hires it and that's that. Surely the staff are employed to do a job. Who's on stage is irrelevant.

Over the years, I'm sure there were staff who considered Roy-Chubby-Brown too 'blue' for their liking, but they didn't call for his show to be called off.

In the case of a political conference (no matter what the party) they hire the venue and that's it. A big conference centre will employ many staff of various political persuasion's; there must be Labour voters working at the Conservative Party Conference, surely.

I can't stand George Ezra, but if I worked at a venue where he was performing, I wouldn't call for his show to be cancelled.

Since when did staff have a say on who takes to the stage?

Edited by Rich NATA

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Am I missing something? This seems a fairly new phenomena and I don't understand...

How can a venue cancel an event because some of their own staff don't like the performer? A venue is just a venue. An act hires it and that's that. Surely the staff are employed to do a job. Who's on stage is irrelevant.

Over the years, I'm sure there were staff who considered Roy-Chubby-Brown too 'blue' for their liking, but they didn't call for his show to be called off.

In the case of a political conference (no matter what the party) they hire the venue and that's it. A big conference centre will employ many staff of various political persuasion's; there must be Labour voters working at the Conservative Party Conference, surely.

I can't stand George Ezra, but if I worked at a venue where he was performing, I wouldn't call for his show to be cancelled.

Aaid will be along to justify it shortly

21 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Here's the statement

“Further to our previous policy statement on this matter, following extensive discussions with our staff, it has become clear that a number of The Stand’s key operational staff, including venue management and box office personnel, are unwilling to work on this event.

“As we have previously stated, we will ensure that their views are respected. We will not compel our staff to work on this event and so have concluded the event is unable to proceed on a properly staffed, safe and legally compliant basis.

“We advised the show’s producers, Fair Pley Productions, of this operational issue and they advised Joanna Cherry that it is no longer possible to host the event in our venue.”

It answers some of your questions.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

Here's the statement

“Further to our previous policy statement on this matter, following extensive discussions with our staff, it has become clear that a number of The Stand’s key operational staff, including venue management and box office personnel, are unwilling to work on this event.

“As we have previously stated, we will ensure that their views are respected. We will not compel our staff to work on this event and so have concluded the event is unable to proceed on a properly staffed, safe and legally compliant basis.

“We advised the show’s producers, Fair Pley Productions, of this operational issue and they advised Joanna Cherry that it is no longer possible to host the event in our venue.”

It answers some of your questions.

It would be easier to understand if it was somebody like David Irving who was attending instead of someone who says that women dont have cocks 

38 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

It’s not that they don’t like her, her views are dangerous and cause genocide etc 

57 minutes ago, aaid said:

You don’t agree with workers having the right to withdraw their labour then?

Why do you always twist everything? It feels like every single post that may seem like pro alba or anti snp, you're all over it like a rash twisting what was said.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

I can't get my head round it. Are they going to check with staff regarding every booking moving forward and if one doesn't like it, will they cancel?

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

“Tonight’s Scotland v Norway game has been postponed because stewards didn’t like Clarke’s lineup”

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Why do you always twist everything? It feels like every single post that may seem like pro alba or anti snp, you're all over it like a rash twisting what was said.

That’s what the nub of this is though.  The staff have decided they don’t want to work and the management have backed them up.  There’s no rule that says management have to act like cunts all the time.

Mind you when you understand who owns the Stand - although I don’t think he has any day to day involvement - you maybe get a sense of why the staff are being backed up by the management.  I’m sure she could find an alternative venue that’s staffed by agency staff on zero hours contracts.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

That’s what the nub of this is though.  The staff have decided they don’t want to work and the management have backed them up.  There’s no rule that says management have to act like cunts all the time.

Mind you when you understand who owns the Stand - although I don’t think he has any day to day involvement - you maybe get a sense of why the staff are being backed up by the management.  I’m sure she could find an alternative venue that’s staffed by agency staff on zero hours contracts.

That will then be bombarded by activists for giving her a platform

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That will then be bombarded by activists for giving her a platform

She has a platform and can reach 1000s of times more people on a weekly basis using that than if she’s in some fringe venue in front of a couple of hundred people. 

32 minutes ago, aaid said:

Until recently, I'd never known a venue have any say on who actually performs there. I just thought they were just a venue for hire... For a talk, a drama, a comedian, a band, etc... I didn't hear about them U-turn on bookings until quite recently.

I see Morrisey is on tour this year. He's got some controversial opinions. Would it be right for staff at the venues to withdraw their labour on the night he's performing?

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

She has a platform and can reach 1000s of times more people on a weekly basis using that than if she’s in some fringe venue in front of a couple of hundred people. 

Sure but that’s not really my point, it’s also not just Cherry but others without her platform. 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Sure but that’s not really my point, it’s also not just Cherry but others without her platform. 

I’m being denied the opportunity to express my opinions and views in the public arena.  I should be able to hold forth at the Edinburgh festival but no-one will book me.

Actually, the reason why no-one would book me is because I’m not a public figure, have no profile and my views aren’t interesting, which is why I’m restricted to spouting forth on here to half a dozen or so equally sad cases.  

Cherry has a public profile, she’s an interesting speaker, that’s why she gets invited to speak.   Some people support her slavishly, others find her views and how she expresses them to be offensive.  Personally, I think the only person Joanna is interested in is Joanna.

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’m being denied the opportunity to express my opinions and views in the public arena.  I should be able to hold forth at the Edinburgh festival but no-one will book me.

Actually, the reason why no-one would book me is because I’m not a public figure, have no profile and my views aren’t interesting, which is why I’m restricted to spouting forth on here to half a dozen or so equally sad cases.  

Cherry has a public profile, she’s an interesting speaker, that’s why she gets invited to speak.   Some people support her slavishly, others find her views and how she expresses them to be offensive.  Personally, I think the only person Joanna is interested in is Joanna.

😄 As others have said, you twist and turn yourself outside in in finding the logic to counteract any perceived slight on the SNP. As the initial point being made stated, it's completely a recent phenomenon and totally aimed at those who question the trans stuff. Never "withdrawing their labour" to protest x-rated content with excessive swearing or violence or insensitive material. Just bullying of those who have genuine concerns re women's rights, in relation to this one niche issue. 

Sadowitz was pulled as well last year.

I don't know how recent it is as a phenomenom, anyone who has been to Glencoe will have seen examples of certain clans being cancelled :D

I generally side with the worker however i'm an evil marxist. Not sure what ALBA and the SNP have to do with any of it. Perhaps if the workers of the Stand were as enlightened as us TAMBers they would realise they should allow the event to go on and that would spare us all the facile victimhood and frankly hysterical rhetoric from Cherry who comes across as a narcissistic demagogue in some of these quotes.

55 minutes ago, aaid said:

🤦🏻‍♂️ 

4 minutes ago, phart said:

. Not sure what ALBA and the SNP have to do with any of it.

Then you've not really been paying attention. Up here, the issue has attached itself to either party to some extent.

No idea what your Glencoe comment means.

10 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Then you've not really been paying attention. Up here, the issue has attached itself to either party to some extent.

No idea what your Glencoe comment means.

I have no interest in party politics. The issue exists outside of SNP ALBA party politics and would still exist if neither party existed. As evidenced by the fact it's legislated in many countries where neither party exists.

I'm just seeing it as a global issue (similiar bills have been passed in multiple countries spanning different continents), fuck the GRR bill had full cross party support when it was passed. The tories then used it as a culture war dead cat so everyone (including me as i'm now typing out all this) to detract from all the crazy shit happening around brexit and the various other shit-shows happening.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

It's not quite the same thing in this instance though, is it?  

Nurses and doctors wouldn't get away with refusing to treat a patient because of that patient's opinions; teachers wouldn't be allowed to refuse to teach the child of a person whose opinions they disagreed with.  Do you think if a checkout assistant refused to serve Jo Cherry because she's a "TERF" that the store management would stick by them and suggest Cherry go her messages elsewhere?  Would they hell.

Rather than standing by their staff I think the management of the Stand are hiding behind them.  The real reason, IMO, is they've decided the possibility of having to deal with a horde of shouty, blue haired, nose-ringed crybullies is a fight they're not prepared to engage in, and they're using the supposed opinions of their staff as an excuse.

To be fair, I get that  - who wants to make their own job harder?  It's a shame though that our society bends so readily to the whims of over-privileged, intolerant weans. 

While I don't agree with a lot of what Joanna Cherry says, the treatment that she receives is pathetic. Unless I've missed some stuff, which is very possible, she isn't a dangerous figure, she doesn't spout vile opinions, or attack people.

The way that some react to her, you'd think she was a modern day Rose West.

She has an opinion that is probably in the majority of people in the UK, she isn't calling for genocide FFS.

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

While I don't agree with a lot of what Joanna Cherry says, the treatment that she receives is pathetic. Unless I've missed some stuff, which is very possible, she isn't a dangerous figure, she doesn't spout vile opinions, or attack people.

The way that some react to her, you'd think she was a modern day Rose West.

She has an opinion that is probably in the majority of people in the UK, she isn't calling for genocide FFS.

This is pretty much how I see it.