The news thread - Page 71 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

They are trying their best to not let it show that The Queen wanting to die in Scotland is sticking in their craw

I'd imagine Gb news are fucking raging

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Died in her sleep overnight.

Too many signals - notes being passed in HoP at noon, BBC changing schedules, presenters suddenly appearing in dark clothes, and embargo until 1830 to allow the clan to get to Balmoral.

And the lack of detail since.

almost certainly this.  I think someone slipped up in the coverage and said that Charles wasn’t there when she died.

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am doing my very best to avoid it but was in the hairdressers yesterday and had to endure 2 1/2 hours of sombre music. People were having a wee moan about it but the hairdressers probably felt it would offend someone if they turned it off. My car had a different station on and that was the same type of music . An entire Adele album, Elton John, every warbling dirge known to man .

One small positive is that the GBX show was cancelled. I dont mind George Bowie but canny be doing with that music. 

sombrero music, surely? 😅

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I know it shouldnt mean anything significant to any of us but is anyone else feeling a bit depressed or maybe it's maudlin ?

Maybe that is what the sycophant 24 hour coverage is meant to do

However for everyone on this board we were all born in her reign and she has been everywhere even though we have paid scant attention - on stamps, on money, christmas day speech etc 

Cant say I feel very much tbh. Have never been a royalsist or interested in royalist gossip, I completely forgot William had a 3rd child.. I think you are right that the coverage does have a psychological affect on you..The short time I listened to all the depressing music made me feel a bit sad . Not about the Queen though , just less upbeat in general..

I was introduced to the Queen once , she was opening our new building and our department was one she visited. One of the traders was showing her an example of how foreign exchange deals were transacted over Reuters . He asked Barclays London for a price in £10 mio against the US dollar.
Its quoted ‘ cable in 10’. 

Barclays came back with ‘gone to lunch ‘

🤣🤣

We all had to keep composed. Here is the Queen being shown the buzz of  24 hour international markets and a major bank is at lunch. The trader probably just couldn’t be bothered quoting or didnt want to take on a position but it didn’t look good 😂 He was mortified when he found out he had knocked back the Queen. 

She seemed a nice enough woman though, must be as boring as fook having to pretend you have an interest in stuff like that. 

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I was introduced to the Queen once , she was opening our new building and our department was one she visited. One of the traders was showing her an example of how foreign exchange deals were transacted over Reuters . He asked Barclays London for a price in £10 mio against the US dollar.
Its quoted ‘ cable in 10’. 

Barclays came back with ‘gone to lunch ‘

🤣🤣

We all had to keep composed. Here is the Queen being shown the buzz of  24 hour international markets and a major bank is at lunch. The trader probably just couldn’t be bothered quoting or didnt want to take on a position but it didn’t look good 😂 He was mortified when he found out he had knocked back the Queen. 

She seemed a nice enough woman though, must be as boring as fook having to pretend you have an interest in stuff like that. 

My Mum met her and was also invited to one of her Garden Parties

I had the Queen all to myself sort of... i am struggling to remember the date as i was certain it was when i was at secondary 1979-1985 

I had it in my mind that she visited Hamilton and everyone from the school was out to see her

Later when i got home the road from Hamilton to Larkhall was closed off as the Queen's cars were coming that way on their way out of Lanarkshire

I was the only one there - a small wee boy waving on my own as they went past - and she waved

However the only date around that time which i can see online was the Silver Jubilee tour in 1977 and i would have still been at Primary

Whatever - it still happened

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I had the Queen all to myself sort of... i am struggling to remember the date as i was certain it was when i was at secondary 1979-1985 

I had it in my mind that she visited Hamilton and everyone from the school was out to see her

Later when i got home the road from Hamilton to Larkhall was closed off as the Queen's cars were coming that way on their way out of Lanarkshire

I was the only one there - a small wee boy waving on my own as they went past - and she waved

However the only date around that time which i can see online was the Silver Jubilee tour in 1977 and i would have still been at Primary

I've a memory of seeing the Queen in Dumfries in 1975 - had to check the year - when she was up to open something.  we were on holiday in Castle Douglas - the glamour - so it would've been something to do.   I can recall insisting that I had a lion rampant flag rather then a union jack though.    

Funnily enough, despite living only a few miles from Windsor for the last thirty-odd years I've never seen any of them since although I do know a few people who have met them in either formal or informal settings including a couple who have bumped into them in Windsor Great Park.

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That is a lovely story. That actually made me feel more emotional than news of her death. It makes her seem more ‘real’.

I dont understand how people can get so upset about someone they have never met, all the weeping like they have lost someone close, but if you have some sort of actual memory you are more likely to feel a sadness. The Royal family were a huge part of life in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s. We had to sing GSTQ every Monday morning in assembly in primary school.

I remember Princess Anne’s first wedding. The big TV got wheeled into a classroom and everyone in P5/6/7 had to watch it. I was only interested as I got sat next to my wee boyfriend Fraser 😁

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

I've a memory of seeing the Queen in Dumfries in 1975 - had to check the year - when she was up to open something.  we were on holiday in Castle Douglas - the glamour - so it would've been something to do.   I can recall insisting that I had a lion rampant flag rather then a union jack though.    

Funnily enough, despite living only a few miles from Windsor for the last thirty-odd years I've never seen any of them since although I do know a few people who have met them in either formal or informal settings including a couple who have bumped into them in Windsor Great Park.

I am sure I have mentioned on here before but about 10 years ago one of my customers who lives south of England told me her kids had been invited to play with friends from school. The friends were actually Prince Edwards children and when they came back they said their friends granny had been for tea. It was the Queen .  Apparently she made her own cup of tea ! 🤣

I totally believe it my customer was not one of these people to make up Walter Mitty tales. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am sure I have mentioned on here before but about 10 years ago one of my customers who lives south of England told me her kids had been invited to play with friends from school. The friends were actually Prince Edwards children and when they came back they said their friends granny had been for tea. It was the Queen .  Apparently she made her own cup of tea ! 🤣

I totally believe it my customer was not one of these people to make up Walter Mitty tales. 

Years ago when I was a student in Aberdeen, a couple of mates of mine who were mountaineering types had been away for a weekend somewhere up in Deeside.   They were hiking along in the country and saw two middle aged ladies walking up towards them with dogs.   As they passed by they just exchanged hellos and walked on past.  They got about 50m further down and were accosted by a couple of protection officers asking who they were and where they were going.  They'd just stumbled across the Queen and Princess Margaret.  

A bloke I used to work with was running in Windsor Great Park once, he stopped to do some situps in the middle of the road, looked up and there was a Range Rover driven by the Duke of Edinburgh in front of him, who gave him an "amusing" greeting.

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

Years ago when I was a student in Aberdeen, a couple of mates of mine who were mountaineering types had been away for a weekend somewhere up in Deeside.   They were hiking along in the country and saw two middle aged ladies walking up towards them with dogs.   As they passed by they just exchanged hellos and walked on past.  They got about 50m further down and were accosted by a couple of protection officers asking who they were and where they were going.  They'd just stumbled across the Queen and Princess Margaret.  

A bloke I used to work with was running in Windsor Great Park once, he stopped to do some situps in the middle of the road, looked up and there was a Range Rover driven by the Duke of Edinburgh in front of him, who gave him an "amusing" greeting.

‘Amusing’ 😁

Your colleague was lucky , a few years later he could have been taken out if the Duke of Edinburgh was driving.

Tom Devine was commentating when the cortege was on it's way to Edinburgh from Balmoral

As usual he was excellent and delighted the Royal Standard of Scotland was on the coffin

(this was when the BBC couldnt help themselves not to bring up the referendum)

Then over to Martin Geissler and asked about the Royal Standard he admitted he knew fuck all about Scottish Heraldry

of course you dont Martin  - House Jocks rarely want to know about Scotland

Jeers heard at Edinburgh event

As crowds gathered in Edinburgh for the formal proclamation of the new King, a protester was heard booing and calling for a republic, before being moved away by the police.

Those in the crowd had mixed opinions on the disturbance.

“It’s very disrespectful,” said Donald Maclaren. “There is a time and a place if you want to protest, but this isn’t it.”

Another person, who did not want to be named, said: “It’s a public event. There is always going to be someone doing something.”

Huge crowds have gathered in Edinburgh for the proclamation and also to see the procession of the Queen's coffin later.