The news thread - Page 63 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I see Vlad has had a pop at Truss and the undemocratic election of her🤣

Without seeing what Putin said, the thing is he is right. We have all had a pop at on it on here. The way this unknown, non-entity has been elevated to PM in place of the person who won a massive landslide not that long ago. It is surreal.

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

so far so good from Truss, tomorrow will be interesting.

What's been good about her so far?

10 hours ago, thplinth said:

Without seeing what Putin said, the thing is he is right. We have all had a pop at on it on here. The way this unknown, non-entity has been elevated to PM in place of the person who won a massive landslide not that long ago. It is surreal.

I agree. This big tour she and sunak went on was laughable. I saw a stat a few days ago, 0.1% of the population voted its current Prime Minister🤣

She then makes her karaoke drinking buddy health minister and deputy prime minister. 

Truss has went left to right remainer to brexiteer..........She doesn't give a shit what side she is on, as long as she wins.

At least with Boris you knew he is a far right bigoted cunt.🤣

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I agree. This big tour she and sunak went on was laughable. I saw a stat a few days ago, 0.1% of the population voted its current Prime Minister🤣

She then makes her karaoke drinking buddy health minister and deputy prime minister. 

Truss has went left to right remainer to brexiteer..........She doesn't give a shit what side she is on, as long as she wins.

looks like a freeze on the price cap which is great for everyone, plus she is going to scrap green levies, again will help us all.  Then going to secure our energy over the medium term by reopening oil exploration and fracking.

expecting a reversal of the NI rise, plus possibly additional tax cuts.  Managing to do all of this without any detriment to future business investment eg windfall tax.

only risk is potential inflation risk and future interest rates.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I am not sure about that.

This is a very revealing interview in many ways. The tories are completely gone.

I think in our hearts we also know these observations are true as well.

https://www.rt.com/russia/562385-russia-uk-medvedev-truss/

‘One freak after another’ – ex-Russian president on UK leaders
Liz Truss will inevitably face failure and disgrace, Dmitry Medvedev believes

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said the new UK prime minister, Liz Truss, will continue the “tradition” started by her predecessor Boris Johnson by finishing her tenure “in disgrace.”

Truss, formerly the foreign secretary in Johnson’s Conservative government, officially became prime minister on Tuesday.

Taking to Telegram on Wednesday, Medvedev, who currently serves as deputy chairman of Russia’s Security Council, commented on the succession of governments in the UK: “Out goes the freak guy, in comes the freak lady.” He described the new PM as “an incompetent and mediocre thermonuclear Russophobe who has no elementary ideas about politics, history, geography, but wants to defeat Russia in everything.”

The former president added that Truss, the third female prime minister in British history, is trying to imitate the first, Margaret Thatcher, “without having even 5% of her abilities,” and hopes to address the energy crisis and rising food inflation, which are “the result of her own crazy sanctions exercises.” 

In her first statement at Downing Street, Truss claimed that the energy crisis was caused by “Putin’s war.”

“She will quarrel with everyone, fail in everything, and leave in disgrace, like her predecessor, shaggy Boriska. It seems that in Britain, which is famous for its traditions, a new tradition has emerged,” Medvedev wrote.

Earlier on Wednesday, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova claimed that the selection of Liz Truss as prime minister signals a “crisis of democracy,” and that her Tory leadership election victory had nothing to do with the will of the people, “since the system of indirect elections dominates the Anglo-Saxon duo.”

Truss gained notoriety in Russia during her visit to Moscow in February, days before the launch of the military operation in Ukraine. Then-Foreign Secretary Truss confused the Russian regions of Voronezh and Rostov with Ukrainian regions, and told her counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, that London would never recognize Russia’s sovereignty over these areas. According to reports, she was then allegedly corrected by Deborah Bronnert, the UK ambassador. Lavrov described the meeting with the foreign secretary as talking “to a deaf person.”

Truss is a dangerous loonball. She really is. 

Edited by thplinth

I suspect the real reason Johnson was removed was because he was not pro-war enough. That and what Farage describes as him totally failing to deliver on anything promised by BREXIT.

Truss seems mad enough to think she can do a Falklands with Russia and somehow 'win'.  She really is a mental case it seems. I think she will be genuinely dangerous in office as tries to show how iron lady like she is.

In her first statement at Downing Street, Truss claimed that the energy crisis was caused by “Putin’s war.”

This from the person who was Foreign Secretary when the suicidal and deeply flawed sanctions were instigated that directly caused the energy crisis and rampant runaway inflation. 

Plus for those who look you can see that this war in Ukraine was started (by the west) in 2014 not 2022 and there were 8 years of escalating provocations again by the West leading up to the inevitable invasion by Russia. This was and is a deliberate strategy of confrontation that 'we' the West embarked on (rightly or wrongly). Truss must know all this and yet she is going to happily grind UK pensioners and the poor into the dust as just collateral damage.

And then in her first statement to blame it all on Putin's war... wow.

An empire of lies indeed.

24 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I suspect the real reason Johnson was removed was because he was not pro-war enough. That and what Farage describes as him totally failing to deliver on anything promised by BREXIT.

Truss seems mad enough to think she can do a Falklands with Russia and somehow 'win'.  She really is a mental case it seems. I think she will be genuinely dangerous in office as tries to show how iron lady like she is.

This from the person who was Foreign Secretary when the suicidal and deeply flawed sanctions were instigated that directly caused the energy crisis and rampant runaway inflation. 

Plus for those who look you can see that this war in Ukraine was started (by the west) in 2014 not 2022 and there were 8 years of escalating provocations again by the West leading up to the inevitable invasion by Russia. This was and is a deliberate strategy of confrontation that 'we' the West embarked on (rightly or wrongly). Truss must know all this and yet she is going to happily grind UK pensioners and the poor into the dust as just collateral damage.

And then in her first statement to blame it all on Putin's war... wow.

An empire of lies indeed.

we wouldn’t win against Russia but we wouldn’t lose. each party has the ability to wipe the other off the face of the earth.

25 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

we wouldn’t win against Russia but we wouldn’t lose. each party has the ability to wipe the other off the face of the earth.

🤣

The UK has 25 nuclear missiles compared to Russia's 6,257 - no contest.

But, in any case, it is all irrelevant as if we were to have a nuclear war it is the end of mankind as we know it. No winners - only losers.

19 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I completely agree that people need support, but the mechanism by which it is done is what I disagree with.  Most people are decent and wouldn’t look to excessively profiteer from this.  What if a tennant goes in to arrears?  You can’t evict, and would be funding them. Horrific.

if I had a rental property in Edinburgh I would look to air bnb it.  The festival revenue alone would make the rest of the year worthwhile.

I have gone right off Nicola.

Capping the rent is to try and avoid people going into arrears hence avoiding evictions. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

looks like a freeze on the price cap which is great for everyone, plus she is going to scrap green levies, again will help us all.  Then going to secure our energy over the medium term by reopening oil exploration and fracking.

expecting a reversal of the NI rise, plus possibly additional tax cuts.  Managing to do all of this without any detriment to future business investment eg windfall tax.

only risk is potential inflation risk and future interest rates.

Would you like to buy some magic beans ? 

I fear that Truss is enough of a nutjob to initiate a nuclear strike.  Probably launch a missile from the Clyde knowing it would be a prime target for retaliation, to get it right up those pesky independenistas...

Let's hope there is a failsafe process put in place where if she does attempt to do something really stupid, someone sensible is briefed to eliminate her.  I know we all want to stay warm this winter, but the word is warm, not vapourised.

Edited by Alibi

18 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I fear that Truss is enough of a nutjob to initiate a nuclear strike.  Probably launch a missile from the Clyde knowing it would be a prime target for retaliation, to get it right up those pesky independenistas...

Let's hope there is a failsafe process put in place where if she does attempt to do something really stupid, someone sensible is briefed to eliminate her.  I know we all want to stay warm this winter, but the word is warm, not vapourised.

It's just as well she doesn't have access to the codes. She can't do anything nuclear without USA's permission. She might just be able to do enough damage to persuade Putin to strike first though? Which is a bit scary.

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I am not sure about that.

This is a very revealing interview in many ways. The tories are completely gone.

I think in our hearts we also know these observations are true as well.

https://www.rt.com/russia/562385-russia-uk-medvedev-truss/

‘One freak after another’ – ex-Russian president on UK leaders
Liz Truss will inevitably face failure and disgrace, Dmitry Medvedev believes

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said the new UK prime minister, Liz Truss, will continue the “tradition” started by her predecessor Boris Johnson by finishing her tenure “in disgrace.”

Truss, formerly the foreign secretary in Johnson’s Conservative government, officially became prime minister on Tuesday.

Taking to Telegram on Wednesday, Medvedev, who currently serves as deputy chairman of Russia’s Security Council, commented on the succession of governments in the UK: “Out goes the freak guy, in comes the freak lady.” He described the new PM as “an incompetent and mediocre thermonuclear Russophobe who has no elementary ideas about politics, history, geography, but wants to defeat Russia in everything.”

The former president added that Truss, the third female prime minister in British history, is trying to imitate the first, Margaret Thatcher, “without having even 5% of her abilities,” and hopes to address the energy crisis and rising food inflation, which are “the result of her own crazy sanctions exercises.” 

“She will quarrel with everyone, fail in everything, and leave in disgrace, like her predecessor, shaggy Boriska. It seems that in Britain, which is famous for its traditions, a new tradition has emerged,” Medvedev wrote.

Earlier on Wednesday, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova claimed that the selection of Liz Truss as prime minister signals a “crisis of democracy,” and that her Tory leadership election victory had nothing to do with the will of the people, “since the system of indirect elections dominates the Anglo-Saxon duo.”

Truss gained notoriety in Russia during her visit to Moscow in February, days before the launch of the military operation in Ukraine. Then-Foreign Secretary Truss confused the Russian regions of Voronezh and Rostov with Ukrainian regions, and told her counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, that London would never recognize Russia’s sovereignty over these areas. According to reports, she was then allegedly corrected by Deborah Bronnert, the UK ambassador. Lavrov described the meeting with the foreign secretary as talking “to a deaf person.”

Truss is a dangerous loonball. She really is. 

That is brilliant from Medvedev. 😂

I wonder if he reads the Daily Mash? 

On a very different side note, I think I might have worked out who "Malcolm" is. I think he could be "Financially secure Gurdian reader - Tom Booker"? Mibbe?

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/guardian-reader-was-kind-of-hoping-truss-wouldnt-help-with-bills-20220908225505

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

🤣

The UK has 25 nuclear missiles compared to Russia's 6,257 - no contest.

But, in any case, it is all irrelevant as if we were to have a nuclear war it is the end of mankind as we know it. No winners - only losers.

not much left of russia after 25 nukes!