The news thread - Page 46 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

25 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am genuinely surprised you have lived in Scotland for so long as there really has never been a party even close to your political leanings, cant be easy to make a choice.
I know there is a lot more to life though than who runs the country at any given time,  and its for that reason I think most people who threaten to leave Scotland if we get independence will do absolutely heehaw. 
I have said it a million times, independence   is likely to bring a far better balance of political representation than we have now, but to get there you need to stick with a party that will deliver it in the first place. 

because I am Scottish and love my country, and would in theory welcome independence.  My concern is that we would get a lefty woke government that would ruin prosperity and tax the wealth creators to oblivion 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone is watching Andrew Bailey’s statement you will realise how fvcked we are.  Stagflation is here - we are RAISING interest rates as we enter recession.

what will unfold is mass unemployment next year whilst prices are rising. It’s going to be desperate.  I’m afraid any referendum will be a sideshow to people surviving. I don’t see it happening.

Quantatative restriction in place, BoE removing money from the economy.  People are going to have to hold on to their jobs or have savings.  
wait until all these fixed rate deals finish…. House prices crash, negative equity and keys going back. Horrible.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

because I am Scottish and love my country, and would in theory welcome independence.  My concern is that we would get a lefty woke government that would ruin prosperity and tax the wealth creators to oblivion 

All sorts of people want independence, not just lefty woke. Scotland will never get a better opportunity to shake up the political system. Nothing will ever change in the UK. 

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Thatcher years bringing in Poll Tax to Scotland first as Guinea pigs which caused massed riots on a scale not seen anytime, anywhere under SNP rule.

Not true. It was implemented in Scotland a year early but we never rioted. It was only when it was introduced in England that they rioted. 

https://thedistance.substack.com/p/woman-80-banned-from-the-city-pool?r=uglk&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Eighty year old uterus owner banned from a swimming pool for asking a person in a swimsuit watching young girls getting changed if they had a cock.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

11 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

https://thedistance.substack.com/p/woman-80-banned-from-the-city-pool?r=uglk&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Eighty year old uterus owner banned from a swimming pool for asking a person in a swimsuit watching young girls getting changed if they had a cock.

That is a very biased and one-sided article, I suspect that one written from the perspective of Clementine by a trans activist would be completely different.  The truth, somewhere in between. 

I see Israel and Palestine kicking off again. Nightmare.

Alex Jones in the first trial to lose about $50 million.

I ran out of podcasts earlier this week and listened to some of his and infowars testimony. It was so devoid of any coherence it was hilarious.

Some of it was also chillingly fucked up.

Someone arguing that it was compassion and his(Jones) big heart to give the families some hope that he said the shooting victims were still alive. Cause even the slightest glimmer of hope it was fake was and they were alive is better than them being dead. Proper psychopathic gas-lighting

Hmm so the former chancellor of the Exchequer and long seen as a finances wizard Rishi Sunak states he will do everything to keep the UK together stating it is 'better together'. That says it all.

A man who stands for self-accumulation of wealth and to hell with the everyday people he wants Scotland within so Westminster can continue to asset strip it.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm so the former chancellor of the Exchequer and long seen as a finances wizard Rishi Sunak states he will do everything to keep the UK together stating it is 'better together'. That says it all.

A man who stands for self-accumulation of wealth and to hell with the everyday people he wants Scotland within so Westminster can continue to asset strip it.

when statements like better together come out the need to be challenged with a simple question, why are we better together? and what does scotland get from the union?

48 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

when statements like better together come out the need to be challenged with a simple question, why are we better together? and what does scotland get from the union?

I am sat here right now and the Ukraine war opens your eyes. Russia have shut down the gas pipeline throttling Europe's energy supply and the UK has been hit with huge rises in energy bills as a result. An independent Scotland being one of the biggest renewable energy producers in Europe would be in a position of strength too. Westminster knows this hence their rabid desperation to keep its meat hooks into Scotland. That is why is is hilarious listening to yoons claiming utter crap like the rest of the UK would not trade with Scotland. Aye right. 🙄🤣

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am sat here right now and the Ukraine war opens your eyes. Russia have shut down the gas pipeline throttling Europe's energy supply and the UK has been hit with huge rises in energy bills as a result. An independent Scotland being one of the biggest renewable energy producers in Europe would be in a position of strength too. Westminster knows this hence their rabid desperation to keep its meat hooks into Scotland. That is why is is hilarious listening to yoons claiming utter crap like the rest of the UK would not trade with Scotland. Aye right. 🙄🤣

I wouldn't be so sure about England trading with us initially. I could see them fucking us off to their own detriment like they did with Brexit.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about England trading with us initially. I could see them fucking us off to their own detriment like they did with Brexit.

Well whether they did or not they'd need to find a new source of renewable energy, water and lots more. And lets not forget that at present they are scrambling around and trying to paint trade deals with India and Australia as something superb that is how desperate they are for trade deals.

rUK accounts for an estimated 60-65% of Scottish exports. The same is roughly true for our imports from rUK ( I think it is even higher).

What % of England's exports are to Scotland? What % of imports are from Scotland?

It is going to be far, far lower given the relative size of our economies. 

So it would be far less of a sacrifice to cut us off from trading with rUK than for us to cut them off.

England are going to do everything they can to make Independence seem like a failure. 2014 should have taught you that at least.

Exports to the EU are more like 15% of Scotland's exports.

Therefore the the most important trade deal post independence will be with rUK. Of course they are not going to make it easy for us. If people want to live on fantasy island and think all of this is not going to be front and centre of the NO campaign then you will lose, again.

thplinth is correct here.  England are going to have far more power in any negotiations than we are due to their scale and wealth.

with globalisation it has blurred who owns what.  What is really indigenous to Scotland now?  Scottish power is Spanish owned, our two biggest banks are now owned by Lloyds and Nat west.  

what is there left that is headquartered in Scotland?

our economies are tightly integrated.  To say we will just switch off the water is naive.

our best hope is that the EU are desperate to have us back in to get up England.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

thplinth is correct here.  England are going to have far more power in any negotiations than we are due to their scale and wealth.

with globalisation it has blurred who owns what.  What is really indigenous to Scotland now?  Scottish power is Spanish owned, our two biggest banks are now owned by Lloyds and Nat west.  

what is there left that is headquartered in Scotland?

our economies are tightly integrated.  To say we will just switch off the water is naive.

our best hope is that the EU are desperate to have us back in to get up England.

You really do have a mighty low opinion of Scotland don't you? The rest of the UK are in no position financially to play hardball with an independent Scotland. They will be all front and bullshit for sure but you and thpkinth are forgetting one massive bargaining chip up Scotland's sleeve too. Trident. If Westminster were to try to be the evil bastards they have been across the world throughout history they can only do it to a point. They would be right up shit creek should an independent Scotland tell the UK Trident was not welcome in Scotland. Or failing that Westminster having to pay a massive fee for allowing it to stay in Scotland coupled with fair trade deals.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You really do have a mighty low opinion of Scotland don't you? The rest of the UK are in no position financially to play hardball with an independent Scotland. They will be all front and bullshit for sure but you and thpkinth are forgetting one massive bargaining chip up Scotland's sleeve too. Trident. If Westminster were to try to be the evil bastards they have been across the world throughout history they can only do it to a point. They would be right up shit creek should an independent Scotland tell the UK Trident was not welcome in Scotland. Or failing that Westminster having to pay a massive fee for allowing it to stay in Scotland coupled with fair trade deals.

how is trident a major negotiating point? I think it’s a given that this will need to be relocated over time should Scotland become independent.

56 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

how is trident a major negotiating point? I think it’s a given that this will need to be relocated over time should Scotland become independent.

It is a negotiating point as Westminster have nowhere else that would take it in the UK so they'd first look to negotiate it remaining in Scotland. 

As for the whole premise - pointless. If it ever has to be used then it makes no difference - the whole of the world is fucked. It is no deterrent to other powers such as Russia. It is like trying to fight a tank with a pop gun.

57 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is a negotiating point as Westminster have nowhere else that would take it in the UK so they'd first look to negotiate it remaining in Scotland. 

As for the whole premise - pointless. If it ever has to be used then it makes no difference - the whole of the world is fucked. It is no deterrent to other powers such as Russia. It is like trying to fight a tank with a pop gun.

I bet Ukraine wish they had kept a nuclear deterrent.