The news thread - Page 36 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Just watched that. I havent really seen any of his interviews. The Kay Burley snippet was actually very funny, even if it wasnt supposed to be. 
The final interview was the one that provided most insight. I cant say I had a lot of sympathy for the train drivers ( up here) given the salary they earn but he is right with what he is saying that loads of people’s salaries are being eroded but they dont  have unions to support them. Maybe it’s everyone else that is being too weak.

His point about the public needing a good rail service to encourage people back to town centres and cities is very accurate. Town and city businesses  will not survive without customers and if passenger numbers are getting back to pre covid levels there should not be transport redundancies. Folk will just not use public transport if it is unreliable . It is a catch 22 , you would think they would keep the rail personnel at current levels for a year or so to see how things pan out. I know in my company they have literally only announced that office working is being encouraged again. It will take time before we can see the longer effect of covid on home working. 

Apparently in Norway there is no government-set minimum wage. There doesn't have to be because trade union representation is so strong and so much part of fabric that reasonable wages are negotiated for everyone.

That said, trade unions are only as strong as their membership. I'm impressed by any union that can meet the threshold to get a ballot on industrial action passed, considering the Tories have now made it more difficult than ever before.

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Apparently in Norway there is no government-set minimum wage. There doesn't have to be because trade union representation is so strong and so much part of fabric that reasonable wages are negotiated for everyone.

That said, trade unions are only as strong as their membership. I'm impressed by any union that can meet the threshold to get a ballot on industrial action passed, considering the Tories have now made it more difficult than ever before.

Norway has strikes happening right now

12 minutes ago, phart said:

Norway has strikes happening right now

I wasn't suggesting they never have strikes, just that trade union membership is so commonplace that it isn't necessary for the government to set a national minimum wage.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

I wasn't suggesting they never have strikes, just that trade union membership is so commonplace that it isn't necessary for the government to set a national minimum wage.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply you were saying anything, although there is obviously some push-back atm with what constitutes a reasonable wage, I'm just meant to be meeting a friend from Norway a week from now and one from Denmark, both in jeopardy due to strikes. So blurted it out on here!

On 6/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, phart said:

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply you were saying anything, although there is obviously some push-back atm with what constitutes a reasonable wage, I'm just meant to be meeting a friend from Norway a week from now and one from Denmark, both in jeopardy due to strikes. So blurted it out on here!

Nae bother. 👍

Obviously good negotiations require compromise on both sides, especially when the world economy is in a bit of a mess, but I'm glad we have unions.

TUs have in the past probably had a bit too much power and didn't always use it responsibly but for me the worry now is that the balance of power is shifting too heavily in favour of the employer, some of whom, sometimes, need kept in check.

The Patrick Grady story takes another twist:

https://news.stv.tv/politics/patrick-grady-snp-membership-suspended-amid-alleged-sexual-assault-under-investigation-by-metropolitan-police

I assume it's another twist to the same story anyway...unless he was in another "commercial premises" on the same street around the same time the incident with his member of staff occurred (October 2016) and did more than just stroke someone's hair and back.

27 minutes ago, scotlad said:

The Patrick Grady story takes another twist:

https://news.stv.tv/politics/patrick-grady-snp-membership-suspended-amid-alleged-sexual-assault-under-investigation-by-metropolitan-police

I assume it's another twist to the same story anyway...unless he was in another "commercial premises" on the same street around the same time the incident with his member of staff occurred (October 2016) and did more than just stroke someone's hair and back.

I suspect so, the pub was the Water Poet in Folgate Street.  I used to work two minutes away from there.  I thought it was an odd choice of venue for an SNP Westminster party.

23 hours ago, aaid said:

I suspect so, the pub was the Water Poet in Folgate Street.  I used to work two minutes away from there.  I thought it was an odd choice of venue for an SNP Westminster party.

Aye, it is a bit.  It's not even very close to Westminster, where there are plenty of pubs and bars - and I don't just mean the ones in parliament!  

Going by Google Street View, Folgate Street appears to be full of offices and flats; there are no other bars or anywhere you might describe as a "commercial premises" so it's probably safe to assume they're referring to the same place.

53 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, it is a bit.  It's not even very close to Westminster, where there are plenty of pubs and bars - and I don't just mean the ones in parliament!  

Going by Google Street View, Folgate Street appears to be full of offices and flats; there are no other bars or anywhere you might describe as a "commercial premises" so it's probably safe to assume they're referring to the same place.

It’s sort of City North/Shoreditch borders.   I was trying to remember whether I’d ever been in it and honestly couldn’t say either way.  I do recall going out one Friday after work around that area on a crawl and there was definitely a rubicon we crossed at one point from suited and booted City boys into beardy hipster heaven. 

edit,  just checked the map and looked up where exactly he lived and it’s not that far from John Nicholson’s famous million pound plus house, so maybe he suggested the place. 

Edited by aaid

Thought this was interesting around why Erdogan changed his mind on Nato expansion in Finland and Sweden:

Why did Turkey lift its veto on Finland and Sweden joining NATO? | NATO News | Al Jazeera

• Ankara hailed the agreement as a triumph. The Turkish president’s office said that Turkey had “got what it wanted” from the deal, and that it meant “full cooperation with Turkey in the fight against the PKK and its affiliates,” including the YPG.
  • Finland and Sweden also agreed “not to impose embargo restrictions in the field of defence industry” on Turkey and to take “concrete steps on the extradition of terrorist criminals”.
  • A senior US administration official told Reuters that Turkey had not linked its longstanding request for American F-16 fighter jets to secure the deal. The US has previously blocked Turkey from acquiring F-35 fighter jets after Ankara purchased the S-400 missile defence system from Russia in 2017.
  • Erdogan said before leaving for Madrid that he would push US President Joe Biden on a deal for the F-16 fighter jets. Biden is expected to meet Erdogan during the summit.

Inviting Japan and South Korea to the Nato table seems to have changed the Facebook relationship with China to 'It's complicated' - seen this script before too:

Kishida, Yoon debut at NATO, casting shadow on Asian peace - Global Times

China is closely paying attention to the three-way summit between US, Japan and South Korea on the sidelines of the summit, in which the Korean Peninsula issue will be discussed along with NATO's Asia expansion against China. 

As for China's two neighbor, Chinese experts warned that guiding the way for the US-led NATO into Asia-Pacific at the expense of diminished diplomatic autonomy will not serve economic and security interests in the long run, and will no doubt exacerbate regional confrontation and division.

It was Gavin Williamson - then Chief Whip - who walked in on Carrie Symonds giving Boris Johnson a blow job in his office while he was Foreign Secretary.

Chris Pincher, the deputy Chief Whip, has resigned after he got pissed up and groped two men in the Carlton Club, one or possibly both of who are also Tory MPs.

All your Tory sleaze news.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

It was Gavin Williamson - then Chief Whip - who walked in on Carrie Symonds giving Boris Johnson a blow job in his office while he was Foreign Secretary.

Is this from a Private Eye article?

This week, I heard something on the radio about an astonishing Boris article in Private Eye, but they didn't say what.

24 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Is this from a Private Eye article?

This week, I heard something on the radio about an astonishing Boris article in Private Eye, but they didn't say what.

It’s from Twitter😂. The Private Eye article didn’t mention the MP who discovered them but ts probably true.