The news thread - Page 28 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Another US school shooting. This time in texas at an elementary school

19 children between ages 7 and 10 dead

Such a f**ked up place. No surprise to see renewed calls for teachers to be armed in the wake of it 😒

When I read about this earlier I just assumed it was a bullied teen killing other teens type scenario. To go into a primary school and shoot wee kids is different level evil again.

Can't forget we had Thomas Hamilton in Dunblane do exactly the same thing. 

This psycho looks like a total inadequate in the pictures I have seen. His choice of victim suggest so as well where he picks on those most vulnerable and weak. Probably too much of crapbag to go into a high school and do it. Felt more comfortable where his victims can't fight back.

You just can't fathom the state of mind of someone who is capable of going into a primary school and methodically executing one little kid after another. 

2 hours ago, phart said:

All the political leadership in the State will be at the NRA meeting coming up I read

What hope is there? 🤦‍♂️

Do you even need to apply for a license to own a gun in the US, or do you just have to prove you're of legal age to own one when you pop into your friendly neighbourhood gun store?

38 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Is this the one that finally prompts change?  Probably not unfortunately given previous.  

Would hope so but like yourself I doubt it..America is close to being beyond help. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

What hope is there? 🤦‍♂️

Do you even need to apply for a license to own a gun in the US, or do you just have to prove you're of legal age to own one when you pop into your friendly neighbourhood gun store?

It varies by state. Republicans have been sitting on a bill for 2 years for background checks though.

Texas I read has some of the most lax laws. Folk walking around supermarkets with crazy weaponry.

Now this is from CNN and then taken off the net by me, so pinch of salt handy

https://i.redd.it/emykg5fibk191.jpg

13 minutes ago, phart said:

It varies by state. Republicans have been sitting on a bill for 2 years for background checks though.

Texas I read has some of the most lax laws. Folk walking around supermarkets with crazy weaponry.

Now this is from CNN and then taken off the net by me, so pinch of salt handy

https://i.redd.it/emykg5fibk191.jpg

Beeb have done a bit and all:

America's gun culture - in seven charts - BBC News

Interesting in there that tighter gun control is typically between 40-60% and at 52% October 2021.  

Just last week this has support for reform at 90% but couldn't see anything where the figure / methodology comes from although the coach on that Tweet gives the same figure:

Gun control now! 90 percent of Americans want more stringent checks (irishcentral.com)

Wouldn't be surprised if it drops again in a few weeks until next time as just seems a never ending cycle - there was a reporter on Radio 4 I heard earlier though mentioning it can't just go more control vs more guns partisan as normal as folk are sick of it and there needs to be changes to gun laws and mental health provision so maybe this one has shaken their society up a bit.  

The timeline seems weird.

I'm reading the police engaged him before he entered the school, however he got in anyway and then started going class to class.

So good guy with gun doesn't stop bad guy with gun, same sort of scenario in that other shooting in Buffalo i think.

5 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Is this the one that finally prompts change?  Probably not unfortunately given previous.  

If what he is saying is correct, and 90% of Americans want background checks, why the fook do people vote for the republicans? Do they think gun control is less important than tax cuts ? 

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

If what he is saying is correct, and 90% of Americans want background checks, why the fook do people vote for the republicans? Do they think gun control is less important than tax cuts ? 

Completely polarised country now.

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Would hope so but like yourself I doubt it..America is close to being beyond help. 

I realized after sandy hook there was no way they would change their ways

unfortunately whats written in a 300yr old constitution ( form a militia to repeal the redcoats etc ) is more important to them than kids lives

28 minutes ago, thplinth said:

People calling for Boris Johnson to resign over partygate are forgetting his one most important feature that makes him worth keeping... he's not Michael Gove. 

There is that, and if there is any chance of us getting independence its going to be through Johnsons leadership. 
The guy is an utter cretin, he had no intention of charging any sort of windfall tax on energy companies to help with fuel bills till this bloody report was imminent . He must think we are all buttoned up the back. Unfortunately too many folk are. 

46 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

There is that, and if there is any chance of us getting independence its going to be through Johnsons leadership. 
The guy is an utter cretin, he had no intention of charging any sort of windfall tax on energy companies to help with fuel bills till this bloody report was imminent . He must think we are all buttoned up the back. Unfortunately too many folk are. 

I'd say Gove will be just as bad as Johnson, both a pair of detestable bags of shit