The news thread - Page 25 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Worrying news from BoE….  Suspect we are looking at economic collapse in the UK.  Inflation is rampant and the only way to stop that is huge interest rate rises… the economy is about to be thrown under the bus and we are looking at Dickensian poverty soon.

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Worrying news from BoE….  Suspect we are looking at economic collapse in the UK.  Inflation is rampant and the only way to stop that is huge interest rate rises… the economy is about to be thrown under the bus and we are looking at Dickensian poverty soon.

Sterling is getting battered too , despite the rate rise yesterday , which makes things even worse as it will further fuel inflation if it stays at these levels . Interest rate rises usually support the currency  but the BoE policy statement was very dovish suggesting there is only going to be further modest tightening of interest rates . That is good news for home owners but does not support the pound, nor am I convinced the BoE know exactly what to do. 

They have also revised GDP down further.

Edited by TDYER63

Here is a word that is a blast from the past that many of you might not have heard of... stagflation.

It is here, right now. And it is a cunt to get out of. 

Usually preceded by an energy shock like for example the 70's opec oil price hikes or say starting a stupid war with a massive energy supplier like russia.

what kind of a world are we living in?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/edinburgh-tyre-extinguishers-climate-change-group-target-portobello-car-tyres-as-they-step-up-activity-after-elections-3685969?fbclid=IwAR3NUsXo-kKkxmdxGKETc2ECWeraZhb5QmaZlDYDXIW3AFCmdlU3ci50jfc

only a matter of time before they do this to the wrong car and end up dead and they will only have themselves to blame 

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/edinburgh-tyre-extinguishers-climate-change-group-target-portobello-car-tyres-as-they-step-up-activity-after-elections-3685969?fbclid=IwAR3NUsXo-kKkxmdxGKETc2ECWeraZhb5QmaZlDYDXIW3AFCmdlU3ci50jfc

only a matter of time before they do this to the wrong car and end up dead and they will only have themselves to blame 

I remember a time when letting down tires was an approved form of protest on this board.

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I am pretty sure you are on the wind up here but if not, I dont agree with the behaviour, its childish at best,  but its hardly chronic vandalism, letting down tyres and leaving a note saying ‘The leaflets left on the cars read: “We have deflated one or more of your tyres. You’ll be angry, but don’t take it personally. It’s not you. It’s your car”.’

If they end up dead I would say they are likely to have let down the tyres of a drug dealer or similar character , if so I applaud the vandals. 

These wee idiots on the other hand along he road from me. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-61372139.amp

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I am pretty sure you are on the wind up here but if not, I dont agree with the behaviour, its childish at best,  but its hardly chronic vandalism, letting down tyres and leaving a note saying ‘The leaflets left on the cars read: “We have deflated one or more of your tyres. You’ll be angry, but don’t take it personally. It’s not you. It’s your car”.’

If they end up dead I would say they are likely to have let down the tyres of a drug dealer or similar character , if so I applaud the vandals. 

And what if the car was needed for an emergency?

Even setting that aside, having an SUV doesnt scratch the surface of the climate change problem. Lots of ppl have SUVs because the size is needed to take prams ir other family essentials. Its too simplistic to say that people could walk or use public transport. Property in cities are unaffordable and public transport is expensive, unreliable and often unsafe. Especially for mothers and going on public transport with a young child can be a nightmare.

These people rely on the fact that the vast majority of the public will just get angry at them, at worst give them a slap but I for one would be happy to look the other way if somebody decided to seriously assault them for criminally damaging their property.

30 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

yeah, exactly that… some underworld guy not going to take kindly to that.  Also, any run of the mill person having a bad day comes back to find their car being vandalised is going to to kick off.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Even setting that aside, having an SUV doesnt scratch the surface of the climate change problem. Lots of ppl have SUVs because the size is needed to take prams ir other family essentials. Its too simplistic to say that people could walk or use public transport. Property in cities are unaffordable and public transport is expensive, unreliable and often unsafe. Especially for mothers and going on public transport with a young child can be a nightmare.

These people rely on the fact that the vast majority of the public will just get angry at them, at worst give them a slap but I for one would be happy to look the other way if somebody decided to seriously assault them for criminally damaging their property.

completely agree.  I hope these idiots get what’s coming to them.

38 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

What I was thinking as well. 

51 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I made it clear I didn’t agree with their actions, just thought it was a pretty tame example of ‘what kind of world are we living in ‘ from Malcolm. I can think of a million other things worse than letting someones tyres down.  Like burning 2 houses down. I dont care what cars people drive, I have zero interest in cars. 

Do you have an SUV by any chance ? 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My Uncle stays in that street.  I think it wad the empty new builds that went up but didn't realise it was willful. 

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

My Uncle stays in that street.  I think it wad the empty new builds that went up but didn't realise it was willful. 

Yes, its the new estate. Could easily have spread. This video shows how close the other houses are. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/fire-newbuild-estate-johnstone-renfrewshire-26913801.amp

18 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I made it clear I didn’t agree with their actions, just thought it was a pretty tame example of ‘what kind of world are we living in ‘ from Malcolm. I can think of a million other things worse than letting someones tyres down.  Like burning 2 houses down. I dont care what cars people drive, I have zero interest in cars. 

Do you have an SUV by any chance ? 

Not yet but due to get one next week. For exactly the reasons I mentioned above. I had no idea boot space would become the major selling point in a car when i had a kid. 

They would be better targeting sports / fast cars as they burn way more fuel.

19 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Not yet but due to get one next week. For exactly the reasons I mentioned above. I had no idea boot space would become the major selling point in a car when i had a kid. 

They would be better targeting sports / fast cars as they burn way more fuel.

From someone who brought 2 kids whilst driving a 2 door sports car I can agree with you on both points ! 😊