The news thread - Page 20 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey/jersey-seizes-7-billion-assets-over-abramovich-links/

I knew he had some assets over here, but £7 billion, staggering 

Just reading some of the other sensational Jersey news within the link Jimmy . You may need  to  shave  off that ginger beard.

https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey/phone-smashed-in-road-rage-outburst/

38 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Make that £106 Billion

Surprised it is that little. 

The is the UK model for attracting rich people's money who don't want it to be visible for whatever reason.

The Swiss model was to have strict banking secrecy laws.

The UK model is to have off shore tax havens dotted around the world (which they pretend they can't control) and Trusts. Fucking trusts... it is a joke really.

The laugh is the UK vigorously helped attack the Swiss model forcing them to open up their banks whilst doing fuck all to change the UK model. Because it was really just a way to attack the competition (the City v the Swiss banks). Britain via the City is up to its eyeballs in all of this, we are a massive enabler of it.  (Read a fascinating article about it all a while back which I now cant find.)

edit: might have been a documentary.

Edited by thplinth

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

(Read a fascinating article about it all a while back which I now cant find.)

edit: might have been a documentary.

It rings a bell with me too.

This is the one i'm thinking of:

6 hours ago, Dave78 said:

It rings a bell with me too.

This is the one i'm thinking of:

Could be... Just watching but around the 10.50 mark.

"The City is the only part William the Conqueror did not conquer." 

Well if that is the case then it is obviously because they financed him.

Very interesting. 

Edited by thplinth

20 hours ago, Malcolm said:

What a fantastic history of entrepreneurship and wealth creation we have.  Loved my time working in the City, still enjoy meetings there now.  Got a massive buzz about it, but it’s amazing how quickly it clears out early evening now.

My recollection is mainly of overpaid wankers guffawing at how much money they have made. 

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

This is the UK Government - someone will be making a pretty penny out of this you can be sure.

It is basically people trafficking.

Judge_Lafayette.webp

Is that a photo from the new series of Succession? Brian Cox looks great now he's lost all the weight

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My recollection is mainly of overpaid wankers guffawing at how much money they have made. 

absolutely nothing wrong with that….   Making big money is a good thing, no?   Crass if people were doing that. Not my experience of working in the city.  People generally supportive of each other and very private about their success.

32 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

absolutely nothing wrong with that….   Making big money is a good thing, no?   Crass if people were doing that. Not my experience of working in the city.  People generally supportive of each other and very private about their success.

There's a saying in poker. If you can't work out who the fish at the table is.....

It's you 😜

On 4/15/2022 at 11:41 AM, Malcolm said:

the government is in a tricky spot with this one.  Can’t let anybody just turn up in our country.  Not sure the pr on this one looks too good though.

Maybe if they create d some legal routes to apply here it would be a start! 

And maybe if there was a system that made sure each country played a fair role. Oh and maybe those countries who meddle in other countries affairs more should actually help more not less people

On 4/15/2022 at 8:18 PM, Malcolm said:

On 4/15/2022 at 8:52 PM, Dave78 said:

There's a saying in poker. If you can't work out who the fish at the table is.....

It's you 😜

Meh, dont be so smart, I dont know if I have been whooshed, If i am a fish, or if Malcolm’s a fish 😁

Either way there is no amount of money you could pay me to work in the City. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Meh, dont be so smart, I dont know if I have been whooshed, If i am a fish, or if Malcolm’s a fish 😁

Either way there is no amount of money you could pay me to work in the City. 

I realised it didn't make much sense after reading it back, but didn't bother ammending/deleting.

I was trying to be a bit cheeky, by implying Malcolm was the type of person you describe - he just wasn't aware of it.

In reality i'm sure he's lovely. Apologies Malcolm!