The news thread - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Honestly, they’re shit. I’ve seen many people fit these and ask me to replace them with Aico as they are terrible units for nuisance alarming, with the wired one, you can fit a radio link base and then the rest of them can be wireless and react from that, I would honestly only fit aico, I believe best do ones too, but I’ve never fotted these so couldn’t comment on them.

That’s exactly what I’m fitting into 6 houses tomorrow and charging with certification 👍🏽

Out of interest what certification are you supplying ? there is no hard wiring involved is there ? 

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

That’s exactly what I’m fitting into 6 houses tomorrow and charging with certification 👍🏽

Think it's £306 and with certification as well. So think I got a fair price.

They mentioned they could do cheaper ones but in the past they had them going off for no reason so they always recommend the Aico ones. Not fancying my gran trying to sort it false alarms at 3am so said nah go for the better ones.

20 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

Out of interest what certification are you supplying ? there is no hard wiring involved is there ? 

The folk i'm dealing with said they are going to provide a certificate to state they installed what they installed and it's in line with legislation etc. Or something like that.

49 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

No, nothing wired, this just says it has been installed by a competent person and to the standards required, this’ll be very important for the insurance to try and have a get out clause, but hopefully it’s never needed. 

3 hours ago, dandydunn said:

No problem, wouldn’t want to see anyone throwing money away over this, it’s expensive enough as it is. 

Is the wireless bundle the best option for a 2 bedroom flat like mine (a better one than the one I linked earlier )and does the old hard wired alarm need to get dismantled/removed ?

41 minutes ago, fringo said:

Is the wireless bundle the best option for a 2 bedroom flat like mine (a better one than the one I linked earlier )and does the old hard wired alarm need to get dismantled/removed ?

Is it a top floor flat, if so, then hardwiring is the way to go there.

Do you have a photo you could put up if the detector that’s already there?

You could fit an aico radio link base to the existing detector if it’s already aico and would then need one more smoke and heat detector. 

Another important thing to remember is that these and precious ones only have a life span of circa 10 years, if it’s older than that, then it would need replaced anyway. 

25 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Is it a top floor flat, if so, then hardwiring is the way to go there.

Do you have a photo you could put up if the detector that’s already there?

You could fit an aico radio link base to the existing detector if it’s already aico and would then need one more smoke and heat detector. 

Another important thing to remember is that these and precious ones only have a life span of circa 10 years, if it’s older than that, then it would need replaced anyway. 

I can't see any obvious name/manufacturer of the type of alarm but it was fitted by an electrician about 3-4 years. I'll see if I can take a better pic in natural daylight. 

So I could possibly just add a radio link one to this one ?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to all these questions.

PS for info - the size and shape of my flat means my current set up would detect sufficiently but I obviously have to comply with new legislation including the new heat detector for my kitchen.

Edited by fringo

47 minutes ago, fringo said:

I can't see any obvious name/manufacturer of the type of alarm but it was fitted by an electrician about 3-4 years. I'll see if I can take a better pic in natural daylight. 

So I could possibly just add a radio link one to this one ?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to all these questions.

PS for info - the size and shape of my flat means my current set up would detect sufficiently but I obviously have to comply with new legislation including the new heat detector for my kitchen.

Does it look like this?

image.jpg

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Not in the slightest.  What’s interesting in that article is that despite all the deflection and implied threats from her lawyers, they don’t actually deny anything.

I see she’s also due to be questioned under caution over alleged racist messages. 

49 minutes ago, aaid said:

Not in the slightest.  What’s interesting in that article is that despite all the deflection and implied threats from her lawyers, they don’t actually deny anything.

I see she’s also due to be questioned under caution over alleged racist messages. 

This will be what the press focus on, rather than the dodgy government contracts worth hundreds of millions. 

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

This will be what the press focus on, rather than the dodgy government contracts worth hundreds of millions. 

The Guardian at least is on the case, this is getting murkier and murkier.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/07/michelle-mone-referred-company-for-ppe-contracts-five-days-before-it-was-incorporated?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1641582745

19 hours ago, aaid said:

Jeezo, you're not wrong.  😳

What kind of person looks at a global pandemic and thinks "ooh, I can make money out of this"?? 🤦‍♂️