The news thread - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16639818/time-to-rename-this-woke-football-focus-group-bbc/

I've not watched football focus for years but this part made me laugh 

It didn’t end there, either, because the item that really took the biscuit was an interview with Russell Martin, the manager of Swansea City, who are the very definition of mid-table mediocrity at the moment and unworthy of any neutral’s time.

Crucially, though, it transpires Russell is a vegan with “a strong interest in the environment and sustainability” who makes his players recycle and turn off the tap when they’re brushing their teeth.

Is this what younger football fans are interested in when they watch football? When I watched football focus I was never interested in the talking, I wanted to see the highlights and the goals.

Am I just getting old?

On 11/5/2021 at 7:59 AM, vanderark14 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16639818/time-to-rename-this-woke-football-focus-group-bbc/

I've not watched football focus for years but this part made me laugh 

It didn’t end there, either, because the item that really took the biscuit was an interview with Russell Martin, the manager of Swansea City, who are the very definition of mid-table mediocrity at the moment and unworthy of any neutral’s time.

Crucially, though, it transpires Russell is a vegan with “a strong interest in the environment and sustainability” who makes his players recycle and turn off the tap when they’re brushing their teeth.

Is this what younger football fans are interested in when they watch football? When I watched football focus I was never interested in the talking, I wanted to see the highlights and the goals.

Am I just getting old?

It's absolutely abysmal though has been going that way for years when Dan Walker took over. If you think that's bad though try watching MOTDx.

Shows how much the BBC programme makers are detached from reality when they forget that fans want to see programmes that contain football in the main leagues  rather than extremisms presenters that are devoid of any personality.

The only saving grace to turn down the volume on Off the Ball is when they have been showing the videos from View from a Terrace -  so Pollok Juniors featured last season.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:08 AM, gkm_vancouver said:

It's absolutely abysmal though has been going that way for years when Dan Walker took over. If you think that's bad though try watching MOTDx.

Shows how much the BBC programme makers are detached from reality when they forget that fans want to see programmes that contain football in the main leagues  rather than extremisms presenters that are devoid of any personality.

The only saving grace to turn down the volume on Off the Ball is when they have been showing the videos from View from a Terrace -  so Pollok Juniors featured last season.

I have to confess, I haven't watched Football Focus for several years, usually because I am on the way to a match when its on, but on the occasion I am in, then I'll either listen to Off the Ball or watch one of the live games.

If you go back to pre-Sky days, actually not just Sky as it's wider than that.  Go back to the days when the only football coverage you would get would be MOTD and Sportscene on Saturday night and Sportsnight if there were some midweek games on.

Then Football Focus made a load of sense as you could get a preview of that weekend's games plus some goals from the previous week which you might have missed.  

These days, any upcoming games will all have been trailed for the previous week, so there's very little new to say, plus all the action - and any "funny" clips from abroad, have all been on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook for days.

I guess something like Football Focus has to do something different to try to be relevant, whether it does that, I don't know, as I said, I haven't watched it for years*   It should probably go the same way as OAE.

One exception, two years ago on the FA Cup 1st Round day when it came live from Maidenhead Utd.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, aaid said:

I have to confess, I haven't watched Football Focus for several years, usually because I am on the way to a match when its on, but on the occasion I am in, then I'll either listen to Off the Ball or watch one of the live games.

If you go back to pre-Sky days, actually not just Sky as it's wider than that.  Go back to the days when the only football coverage you would get would be MOTD and Sportscene on Saturday night and Sportsnight if there were some midweek games on.

Then Football Focus made a load of sense as you could get a preview of that weekend's games plus some goals from the previous week which you might have missed.  

These days, any upcoming games will all have been trailed for the previous week, so there's very little new to say, plus all the action - and any "funny" clips from abroad, have all been on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook for days.

I guess something like Football Focus has to do something different to try to be relevant, whether it does that, I don't know, as I said, I haven't watched it for years*   It should probably go the same way as OAE.

One exception, two years ago on the FA Cup 1st Round day when it came live from Maidenhead Utd.

BBC is obviously losing out to SKY both for live games and news stories but still has MOTD and the FA Cup. Apart from my time in Canada when I could get all SPL/EPL games for about £5/month I soon found I couldn't spend half my life watching live games so pick and choose and still like the highlights programmes. The story was focussing on the WOKE type domination of the programme in guest presenters and stories which is getting ridiculous - Micah Richards is by far the worst pundit in living memory IMO. However, if they actually spent more time on championship and Scottish football stories (as it is a national programme) they might get more viewers. YouGov has it at 252nd most popular programme just behind Naked Attraction 🤪. A quick search also throws up BBC pc type stories about Dan Walker.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/media/explore/tv_programme/Football_Focus

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1467875/piers-morgan-dan-walker-football-focus-axe-alex-scott-replacement-twitter-news-latest

• 2 weeks later...

Senior Downing St source reportedly criticising the "shambolic" PM

(you have to get through the Peppa Pig stuff to get to it)

And yes, it's a deflection from the NHS bill...

Edited by exile

12 hours ago, exile said:

And yes, it's a deflection from the NHS bill...

I can see Boris Johnson throwing anyone under a bus to deflect attention from him, I don’t see him throwing Boris Johnson under a bus though. 

Probabky not the best move to make to try and stave off a potential back bench rebellion.

11 hours ago, aaid said:

I can see Boris Johnson throwing anyone under a bus to deflect attention from him, I don’t see him throwing Boris Johnson under a bus though. 

Probabky not the best move to make to try and stave off a potential back bench rebellion.

I wonder who the Downing St source would be...

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Have you ever been to Wick?

This bit sounds about right to me.

“In Afghanistan, we might die in one year or in a month, but in Wick we die every day,”

21 minutes ago, exile said:

So Dominic Cummings claiming "lobby hacks" were at the now infamous/or non existent Downing St parties.

image.png.4b7dd7498f68b213af179d13575b9b62.png

I suspect that Harry Cole, political editor of the Sun, big - in every way - Tory and former boyfriend of Carrie Symonds is nailed on to be one of them.  Just had a quick look at his Twitter timeline and he’s made no comment on the story, which you wouldn’t expect.

A quick look at the Sun and they don’t seem to be running with it at all.

Obviously a lot of people are speculating on Kuenssberg, but she picked up on it straight away and got confirmation and more detail. 

14 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Id love to see Nigel Farages rant response to that.

In regards to no mosque or halal food store, I think that's just tough luck, but the property should be habitable, and sending people to Wick does seem a bit strange.