The news thread - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 hours ago, aaid said:

I can only assume that they made an initial application during lockdown for when the nurseries reopened and then made another once they had done.   As far as why didn’t he do it privately, he made the point that racial discrimination should be called out in public which I agree with.

It’s hard to see any sort of other explanation particularly as the nursery seems unable to supply one and are instead going for a “ but some of my best friends are black” defence.  Interesting that they say their owners are of “Asian heritage”, one of the biggest islamophobes I know is an Anglo-Indian Hindu.

If that's the case - and from what's in the public domain it looks very much like some bias has taken place - then hell mend them.  But the investigation hasn't concluded yet and like Thistle Whistle has said, the nursery's name, its owner's name and its manager's name - and picture - has been published in the press without the other side of the story being properly heard.  There might - just might - be a reasonable explanation for their actions but mud sticks.

I know it's easy for me to sit here and say he should have held fire until the investigation had concluded - it's not my daughter who appears to have been discriminated against on account of her ethnicity - so on a human level I can see totally where he's coming from.  On the other hand, he isn't an average punter, he's a professional politician and an ex-Justice Secretary for Scotland, and as such its surprising he hasn't kept his powder dry.

This story has been framed as "anti-Muslim discrimination by white Scots" (which it might well turn out to be) but it occurred to me that there might be a sectarian element to it, i.e. Sunni/Shia sectarianism; or indeed there could be a Hindu/Muslim thing at play, like you say.  I've a friend whose father in law is Indian, from a Hindu background, and my pal says he's the most racist man he knows!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

There’s two distinctive parts for me with the first fairly obvious that if it turns out the allegations are true, which in some shape or form at the moment looks likely, then it should be dealt with accordingly.  However, what’s less clear is who is actually at fault , for what and to what extent. 

The second then is despite that the lass in question has her name/picture in the paper and the owner of the business is being dragged through the mud via a trial conducted over social media instigated by someone who was recently the Justice Secretary.  It could turn out following investigation the Mauritian owner, I think one of only three Hindu majority countries,  is racist like a mother fucker and the lass was doing what she was told out of fear for her job.  Equally it could turn out that the lass was acting off her own back with the owner not knowing anything about it as its hardly an area with a huge Muslim population to notice profiling against.  In either scenario, although complicit to an extent, they are getting equally judged by kangaroo court which will undoubtedly damage their business or career potentially more than their individual actions could actually end up meriting. 

If it was any parent then fair play would be praising their resourcefulness but given his position he’s got to be held and judged to a higher accountability.  If he’d used his position to speed up an investigation via the correct channels before then going public with the findings there would still be questions to answer on whether it was an abuse of his position/ conflict of interest but this is a whole different level entirely regardless of how virtuous the cause.     

Aye, that's true.  He would have been within his rights to go to the authorities via his MSP though (and in my experience, when you work for an authority and MP or MSP gets in touch and starts stamping their feet, shit gets done!).

50 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If that's the case - and from what's in the public domain it looks very much like some bias has taken place - then hell mend them.  But the investigation hasn't concluded yet and like Thistle Whistle has said, the nursery's name, its owner's name and its manager's name - and picture - has been published in the press without the other side of the story being properly heard.  There might - just might - be a reasonable explanation for their actions but mud sticks.

I know it's easy for me to sit here and say he should have held fire until the investigation had concluded - it's not my daughter who appears to have been discriminated against on account of her ethnicity - so on a human level I can see totally where he's coming from.  On the other hand, he isn't an average punter, he's a professional politician and an ex-Justice Secretary for Scotland, and as such its surprising he hasn't kept his powder dry.

This story has been framed as "anti-Muslim discrimination by white Scots" (which it might well turn out to be) but it occurred to me that there might be a sectarian element to it, i.e. Sunni/Shia sectarianism; or indeed there could be a Hindu/Muslim thing at play, like you say.  I've a friend whose father in law is Indian, from a Hindu background, and my pal says he's the most racist man he knows!

The nursery did get the opportunity to give their side of the story both by the Yousaf's and by the Daily Record.  They haven't given an explanation either because they can't or won't.  From the Nursery's perspective the "investigation" should take no more than 10 minutes all you have to do is ask two questions, why did these kids not get places, why did these other kids get places.  The answer is either because I'm an idiot, because I'm biased or because I'm implementing company policy - and frankly, if you work for a company that has an obvious discriminatory policy and you implement that then you're just as bad.

As far as not going public, he certainly shouldn't go public unless he's absolutely certain what's going on and unless there's something here that really doesn't meet the eye it looks like he is.

However, consider this.  Lets say he called the nursery up after they'd been rejected and they'd tried it out with the friend's kid and gave it the "Do you know who I am".  The chances are that the nursery would say that it had all been a big mistake and of course there's a place for your daughter.   Then lets say, the nursery similarly rejects an application from other apparently Muslim parents and it became apparent that the Yousafs had "pulled strings" to get their daughter into the nursery - what sort of story do you think the Record would be writing then?  

That's the political aspect but more importantly there's a moral imperative, especially on politicians to call out discrimination when they encounter that, be it something which directly impacts them or not.  In the long run, that's the only way to tackle it.

So a few papers are indicating the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation is slowing down, which might means winters get a bit chilly. Rainfall would be disrupted as well. Apparently the mechanism is so complex it's hard to predict all the outcomes but a lot of them won't be good.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9870519/amp/Archbishop-York-criticises-London-metropolitan-elite-patronising-people-proud-English.html

‘’Referencing the game between England and Scotland, he told the Daily Telegraph: 'Then when the different nations of the United Kingdom find themselves pitched against each other on the sports field, we could belt our English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish anthems. Then sing our national anthem together. And love our neighbour.'

🤣 aye, I am sure that idea will take off. 

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

'Then when the different nations of the United Kingdom find themselves pitched against each other on the sports field, we could belt our English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish anthems. Then sing our national anthem together. And love our neighbour.'

🤣 aye, I am sure that idea will take off. 

Hmm, and would "our national anthem" just happen to be the one the English already use?

Edited by exile

9 minutes ago, exile said:

Hmm, and would "our national anthem" just happen to be the one the English already use?

For someone who is supposed to be creating love and harmony amongst man and women,  his idea is more likely to provoke civil war 🙄

GSTQ should be binned permanently . Its long past its sell by date. 

15 minutes ago, phart said:

I just came across some reports that folk are unironically saying Thatcher was ahead of the game on climate change cause she closed the coal mines...

I think Boris said that last week? Not sure if he was being ironic or not?

45 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Jeezo, that's terrible. :(

I wondered if it was maybe gang related, but it could be someone has just flipped.  Either way, it's awful.

Folk have tracked down his youtube channel and facebook, seems pretty radicalised with all the Trump stuff, a lot of what is termed blackpill stuff too and pro-gun stuff.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Folk have tracked down his youtube channel and facebook, seems pretty radicalised with all the Trump stuff, a lot of what is termed blackpill stuff too and pro-gun stuff.

Thanks.

So arguably a terrorist of sorts then, possibly?  I've heard the term "red pill" before but "blackpill" is a new one me, I must admit.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

The child was 3 years old not 10☹

Jesus wept.  🤦‍♂️

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Thanks.

So arguably a terrorist of sorts then, possibly?  I've heard the term "red pill" before but "blackpill" is a new one me, I must admit.

Jesus wept.  🤦‍♂️

Complaining that he couldn't get a girlfriend.  Have a wash, get a fucking haircut and a shave might have been a start.

50 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Thanks.

Jesus wept.  🤦‍♂️

It does seem to be a common factors in the idealogy of a few folk doing these things. Not sure how strong it is and how much weight you can put on it considering i'm just lifting a snapshot from the net. I'd heard of incel, but not blackpill.