The news thread - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, aaid said:

You donโ€™t think victims of rape and sexual assault should not be entitled to anonymity?

Are you happy with the atrociously low level of convictions in these cases.

What do you think? Yeah, Iโ€™m pure delighted. ๐Ÿ™„

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, duncan II said:

What do you think? Yeah, Iโ€™m pure delighted. ๐Ÿ™„

And equally (yes, equally) should an accused not be allowed anonymity until convicted? What if heโ€™s innocent? Anyway, this is going down a road I donโ€™t want to go. I fully support victims in such cases. Just thought there was hypocrisy that needed calling out.

Simone Biles withdrawing from another event in the Olympics to protect her mental health.

Piers morgan has upset a few people about this on twatterย 

ย 

Edited by vanderark14

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Simone Biles withdrawing from another event in the Olympics to protect her mental health.

ย 

Must just be natural but as a middle aged bloke I understand current culture less and less.ย  Doubt Mental Dave in our old pub team would have called me brave if I subbed myself off in the Tunstall Alliance League 5 cup final for squaffing a pass five minutes in leaving us down to 10 whilst shouting platitudes and proffering oranges from the side-line.ย 

If she pulls out completely Iโ€™ll buy its mental health rather than just fucking it up on the first bit of apparatus and chucking toys out the pram.ย  Can see a Hollywood finale though where she wins the four individual titles next week and everyone hails her rise from adversity as vindication of putting herself before the team which would succinctly sum up where we are as a society.ย  The hypocrisy will be likely nobody will give a shit for wellbeing of the other team members who carried on to battle to a meaningless silver in terms of US sporting demands and then probably have to watch the person who cost them possibly their best shot at gold then beat them individually.

ย 

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

ย 

It's always amusing when someone most famous for mendacity and then storming off his show in a huff tries to judge someone with like 2 dozen gold medals in international competition on their mental stregnth in competition.

He's the worlds foremost ultracrepidarian

51 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Must just be natural but as a middle aged bloke I understand current culture less and less.ย  Doubt Mental Dave in our old pub team would have called me brave if I subbed myself off in the Tunstall Alliance League 5 cup final for squaffing a pass five minutes in leaving us down to 10 whilst shouting platitudes and proffering oranges from the side-line.ย 

If she pulls out completely Iโ€™ll buy its mental health rather than just fucking it up on the first bit of apparatus and chucking toys out the pram.ย  Can see a Hollywood finale though where she wins the four individual titles next week and everyone hails her rise from adversity as vindication of putting herself before the team which would succinctly sum up where we are as a society.ย  The hypocrisy will be likely nobody will give a shit for wellbeing of the other team members who carried on to battle to a meaningless silver in terms of US sporting demands and then probably have to watch the person who cost them possibly their best shot at gold then beat them individually.

ย 

ย 

Wow you took that almost as personally as Morgan seems to. I read it all the way thinking it was another verbose joke but it wasn't.

5 minutes ago, phart said:

ย 

Wow you took that almost as personally as Morgan seems to. I read it all the way thinking it was another verbose joke but it wasn't.

It's vexed me all day being honest - Twitter is just a sewer where all that counts is who has the biggest gang numbers be it in faux outrage or sincerity.ย ย ย 

Guilty as charged on the verbose comment.ย ย 

ย ย ย ย  ย ย 

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It's vexed me all day being honest - Twitter is just a sewer where all that counts is who has the biggest gang numbers be it in faux outrage or sincerity.ย ย ย 

Guilty as charged on the verbose comment.ย ย 

ย ย ย ย  ย ย 

here's a technical explanation of what is going on

ย 

2 minutes ago, phart said:

here's a technical explanation of what is going on

ย 

Said before if she ends up pullingย out of the whole thing then fair enough andย from that it wouldn't seem you could go from the 'Twisties' one day then a few days later be seriously competing unless I'm missing something?ย 

ย ย 

ย 

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Said before if she ends up pullingย out of the whole thing then fair enough andย from that it wouldn't seem you could go from the 'Twisties' one day then a few days later be seriously competing unless I'm missing something?ย 

ย ย 

ย 

Iโ€™m no expert or anything, just a simple chap, but why does this bother you so?

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

ย ย 

ย 

She's withdrawn from the individual all round as well.

I have no idea how quickly kinesthesia can be repaired.

I watch combat sports and it's canon in them that you don't compete if your head isn't right. I trust the judgement of the folk in the gymnastics who don't seem surprised/outraged. I'll defer to their judgement as opposed to making bad faith judgements from my couch.

19 hours ago, phart said:

She's withdrawn from the individual all round as well.

I have no idea how quickly kinesthesia can be repaired.

I watch combat sports and it's canon in them that you don't compete if your head isn't right. I trust the judgement of the folk in the gymnastics who don't seem surprised/outraged. I'll defer to their judgement as opposed to making bad faith judgements from my couch.

My beef isn't really with an Olympic gymnast I'll probably forget about in a month but more around the lack of nuance in everything and increasing levels of moral myopia governedย by likes and retweets rather thanย discussion.ย ย 

Yeah I'd known about her pulling out of the all round as a few places were reporting it yesterday morning but was undecided for the weekend/ next week.ย  Only found out from an article on the BBC last night that she had been out for over a year and only returned April this year I think it is.ย ย 

Unfortunately Twitter's whole business model is based on bad faith decisions given in a limited number of characters and it's impact can'tย  be underestimated as it effectively controls the narrative/directionย of society in specificย moments with reflection postponed until later.ย ย ย The easy answer in this is for a full on luvvie capricious spewing of platitudes whereas the more difficult question of whether their management committee has failed in its duty of care isn't being raised yet although that may well follow.

If she does compete in the individuals it opens up another can of worms in that nobody would want see her do a Ronaldo or hurt herself but if she did perform poorly then the management again would have questions to answer with her being in that position.ย  If on the other hand she wins gold then the fairytale Hollywood ending is there but it would still raise difficult questions.ย  Nobody is likely to touch the one howย you can go from unable to perform due to mental health issues to gold medallist in the space of a week understandably because, although it is a pretty pertinent question in improving understanding, it would turn toxic immediately.ย  The other is that she would be fully vindicated in her actions given the reward but wouldย the moral to take from the story of putting yourself first at the expense of the team be healthy particularly?ย  Not her load to carry but it's still an interesting question like if England areย ok withย Kane and Sterling to take a dive why shouldn't kids when they return to football this season?

Morgan is a knob but heย does raise a valid point in that the social media hypocrisy is ridiculous and dangerous.ย  Nobody is really interested in his mental health when he stormed off and came back basically because he's a knob.ย  He's not an Olympic Goat but he is in a fairly cut-throat business that would be churlish to admit he wasn't at the top end of so maybe the weatherman exposed a vulnerability that day.ย  Essentially going from his feed though there's everything from poking fun at his meltdown to being fat, racist, misogynist and all the the way through to nonce.ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย 

ย 

Edited by ThistleWhistle

If she or any athlete for that matter do not want to compete because of their mental health then they should be allowed to work on their recovery.ย Given the abuse she suffered as a child as well.ย 

I can do without the social media / media virtue signalling though who go after people on a daily basis with no regard for mental health.ย 

37 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

My beef isn't really with an Olympic gymnast I'll probably forget about in a month but more around the lack of nuance in everything and increasing levels of moral myopia governedย by likes and retweets rather thanย discussion.ย ย 

Yeah I'd known about her pulling out of the all round as a few places were reporting it yesterday morning but was undecided for the weekend/ next week.ย  Only found out from an article on the BBC last night that she had been out for over a year and only returned April this year I think it is.ย ย 

Unfortunately Twitter's whole business model is based on bad faith decisions given in a limited number of characters and it's impact can'tย  be underestimated as it effectively controls the narrative/directionย of society in specificย moments with reflection postponed until later.ย ย ย The easy answer in this is for a full on luvvie capricious spewing of platitudes whereas the more difficult question of whether their management committee has failed in its duty of care isn't being raised yet although that may well follow.

If she does compete in the individuals it opens up another can of worms in that nobody would want see her do a Ronaldo or hurt herself but if she did perform poorly then the management again would have questions to answer with her being in that position.ย  If on the other hand she wins gold then the fairytale Hollywood ending is there but it would still raise difficult questions.ย  Nobody is likely to touch the one howย you can go from unable to perform due to mental health issues to gold medallist in the space of a week understandably because, although it is a pretty pertinent question in improving understanding, it would turn toxic immediately.ย  The other is that she would be fully vindicated in her actions given the reward but wouldย the moral to take from the story of putting yourself first at the expense of the team be healthy particularly?ย  Not her load to carry but it's still an interesting question like if England areย ok withย Kane and Sterling to take a dive why shouldn't kids when they return to football this season?

Morgan is a knob but heย does raise a valid point in that the social media hypocrisy is ridiculous and dangerous.ย  Nobody is really interested in his mental health when he stormed off and came back basically because he's a knob.ย  He's not an Olympic Goat but he is in a fairly cut-throat business that would be churlish to admit he wasn't at the top end of so maybe the weatherman exposed a vulnerability that day.ย  Essentially going from his feed though there's everything from poking fun at his meltdown to being fat, racist, misogynist and all the the way through to nonce.ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย 

ย 

Piers Morgan is an utter prick who will say anything to create controversy. He lives in the British 70โ€™s and in his time has probably created mental health issues forย many people with his articles and tweets. He chooses to be in a cutย throat business and if you choose to be outspokenย then you need to be able to suck it up when you are on the receiving end.ย 

I didntย know anything about this gymnast but I can only imagine the pressure top level sports people are under these days , you are absolutely right, social media has become a beastย and the hypocrisy stinks.ย 

I have no reason to think she is using mental health as a excuseย .ย She is only 24 , regardless of her tough regime and high endurance levelsย she will still be vulnerable, and the consequences of making a mistake could be catastrophicย .
But I do think social media goes overboard with its focus onย mental health, which ends up diminishing the seriousness of it.ย 

Piers Morgan seems more concerned that she is letting down her country and her sponsors , what a surprise.ย 
ย 

ย 

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

If she or any athlete for that matter do not want to compete because of their mental health then they should be allowed to work on their recovery.ย Given the abuse she suffered as a child as well.ย 

I can do without the social media / media virtue signalling though who go after people on a daily basis with no regard for mental health.ย 

Don't disagree at all and it'll be interesting to see if things have moved on from France 98 where there was the stench sponsors had a part to play in Ronaldo playing when he pretty obviously wasn't fit.ย ย 

16 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-58056234.amp

Humza Yusaf accuses nursery of discrimination ๐Ÿ˜ณ

If what he's claiming is true then that's disgraceful, and he and his wife have every right to be furious about it.

There are a couple of things that puzzle me a wee bit though.ย  Firstly, they initially applied last year but then tried again this May - which is quite a gap - so what happened in the intervening period?ย  Presumably the wean still needed looking after.

Secondly, considering who he is going to the papers to organise a "honeytrap" (for want of a better description) seems an odd way to go about things. Why not just make a complaint about the nursery to the appropriate authorities? Given who he is his name will carry weight.

ย 

46 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If what he's claiming is true then that's disgraceful, and he and his wife have every right to be furious about it.

There are a couple of things that puzzle me a wee bit though.ย  Firstly, they initially applied last year but then tried again this May - which is quite a gap - so what happened in the intervening period?ย  Presumably the wean still needed looking after.

Secondly, considering who he is going to the papers to organise a "honeytrap" (for want of a better description) seems an odd way to go about things. Why not just make a complaint about the nursery to the appropriate authorities? Given who he is his name will carry weight.

ย 

I can only assume that they made an initial application during lockdown for when the nurseries reopened and then made another once they had done. ย  As far as why didnโ€™t he do it privately, he made the point that racial discrimination should be called out in public which I agree with.

Itโ€™s hard to see any sort of other explanation particularly as the nursery seems unable to supply oneย and are instead going for a โ€œ but some of myย best friends are blackโ€ defence. ย Interesting that they say their owners are of โ€œAsian heritageโ€, one of the biggest islamophobes I know is an Anglo-Indian Hindu.

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

ย 

Thereโ€™s two distinctive parts for me with the first fairly obvious that if it turns out the allegations are true, which in some shape or form at the moment looks likely, then it should be dealt with accordingly.ย  However, whatโ€™s less clear is who is actually at fault , for what and to what extent.ย 

ย 

The second then is despite that the lass in question has her name/picture in the paper and the owner of the business is being dragged through the mud via a trial conducted over social media instigated by someone who was recently the Justice Secretary.ย  It could turn out following investigation the Mauritian owner, I think one of only three Hindu majority countries,ย  is racist like a mother fucker and the lass was doing what she was told out of fear for her job.ย  Equally it could turn out that the lass was acting off her own back with the owner not knowing anything about it as its hardly an area with a huge Muslim population to notice profiling against.ย  In either scenario, although complicit to an extent, they are getting equally judged by kangaroo court which will undoubtedly damage their business or career potentially more than their individual actions could actually end up meriting.ย 

ย 

If it was any parent then fair play would be praising their resourcefulness but given his position heโ€™s got to be held and judged to a higher accountability.ย  If heโ€™d used his position to speed up an investigation via the correct channelsย before then going public with the findings there would still be questions to answer on whether it was an abuse of his position/ conflict of interest but this is a whole different level entirely regardless of how virtuous the cause.ย  ย ย ย 

I noticed he tested the nursery 3 times, which reminded me of this old James Bond quote:

ย 

โ€œMr Bond, they have a saying in Chicago: 'Once is happenstance.ย Twiceย is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action'.โ€