Lowland League - Rangers and Celtic Colts - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lowland League - Rangers and Celtic Colts

7 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Lowland league have just voted to allow Rangers and Celtic to join the league from next season. 

Wow

The first step on to a very very slippery slope for Scottish football 

Edited by vanderark14

14 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Disgraceful decision, hopefully Dave Cormack is on the blower tomorrow to get Aberdeen’s application fast tracked. 

Ditto for the other 9 premiership teams too. 

Great idea, they could form a league and call it the reserves 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Great idea, they could form a league and call it the reserves 

You know what, I’ve thought a bit more about it and it’s far too radical for Scottish football. 

Better to just let two teams have players play competitive football, I mean, the rest are just there to make up numbers anyway after all, so attempting to arrange to benefit them would just hinder the two arsecheeks, so best to just leave it as it is. 

Although at the moment it is only a provisional approval we all know that the Thin Firm's Colt teams will be playing Lowland League football next season. They were always going to land somewhere within the pyramid. I find it strange that the info available at the moment says it is for one year only - I wonder what plans they have moving forward? Can guarantee they will be hoping the pandemic has damaged the finances of enough league 1&2 clubs so that their next bribe to enter at that level will be accepted by enough of the member clubs. 

Can see why they've fallen for it - bigger gates etc - but ultimately this will only benefit the two clubs everything else in Scottish football is designed to benefit.

Having said that, Rob Roy have twice played Rangers U2 XIs in frienlies in the 2000s and have won confortably both times. If the Old Squirm youngsters lose regularly any hanger-on fan base will melt like snaw aff a dyke.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Can see why they've fallen for it - bigger gates etc - but ultimately this will only benefit the two clubs everything else in Scottish football is designed to benefit.

Having said that, Rob Roy have twice played Rangers U2 XIs in frienlies in the 2000s and have won confortably both times. If the Old Squirm youngsters lose regularly any hanger-on fan base will melt like snaw aff a dyke.

I can only imagine the clubs voting for this have chairmen who support either side of the OF. After yesterday's antics I can't see why any club could be bothered with their shite 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 9:33 PM, p gala ta said:

Quite looking forward to seeing Rangers and Celtic coming down to play the mighty Gala Fairydean . 
It’s mainly the Juniors who opposed it and they have just gatecrashed the league themselves .

I agree with you. Gala will benefit cash wise with bigger gates. I know a lot of rangers supporters who used to go to Bathgate when rangers u21's played there. Dont know what happened to that. But seemingly they got decent crowds. Their main reason was just to watch football and see if there were any young players coming through. But everyone benefitted I think.

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2021 at 8:42 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

I agree with you. Gala will benefit cash wise with bigger gates. I know a lot of rangers supporters who used to go to Bathgate when rangers u21's played there. Dont know what happened to that. But seemingly they got decent crowds. Their main reason was just to watch football and see if there were any young players coming through. But everyone benefitted I think.

When Rangers and Celtic Colts teams played in the Challenge Cup there was no noticeable upturn in the crowds of those they played over their normal league crowds. That was either midweek or Saturday games, in a knockout cup competition, where the senior side wasn’t playing due to the games taking place on international break weekends.

Throw in that many Colts games will be held on the same day and at the same time as the senior side is playing and there won’t be the crowd boost that many are predicting.

If any team wants a Colts side in Scottish football, fine. But let them earn their place like any other side has to by starting at the bottom of the pyramid and getting to their correct level by doing it on the pitch. Paying £25k and jumping over 150 teams is wrong. 

For the past few years before the pandemic I had started attending East Kilbride games.

I certainly don't want any of their pish at K park, lower league football is a great wee place, a few bevvies in the sports club with opposing fans talking football and no baggage.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...