Goalkeeper - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goalkeeper

Malcolm

After Marshall's penalty heroics against Israel and especially Serbia. And his commitment to show up for us, for over a decade when he was behind McGregor and Gordon, it would be incredibly harsh to drop him.

Marshall will and should be number one at the Euros.

It's the future keeping situation I'm worried about.

Don't think Marshall has fully recovered from his earlier injury so with no games and a few weeks rest he should be fine and starts against CR. If not its Gordon ( Scottish Championship) or McLaughlin ( Rangers bench) . Think I have stated in numerous other threads McGregor has got to be asked. Maybe he has and said no.

Otherwise, it Clark or McCrorie, presumably as back up. 

I get Marshall's heroics, but from what I have read, he is not playing and his form has dipped. These are grown men, a tournament is about winning, not playing favorites and keeping folks happy, it's about putting your best 11 on the park at all times.. Alan McGregor would be my choice, the man is World class. It's a tough one, because Marshall has never turned his back on us.. I want to compete and win, not just show up !!!!! Scotland Forever 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

It is very worrying.

We seem to have sorted most areas on the park except for GK. We then then have a promising players coming through in each position except GK.

RB - O'Donnell has really improved and Patterson looks to be a star in the making. Ashby at West Ham looks another promising youngster and Hickey would be happy at RB

CB - still relatively weak but a lot of our CBs have improved over the past few years. Hanley, Hendry and Gallagher are relatively decent players alongside Tierney, who has improved as a central defender during his time at Arsenal. Then you have Cooper, McKenna and quite a few promising young CBs (Porteous, King, Hamilton, etc).

ST - Dykes suits Clarke's style to a tee. Adams coming in has really strengthened us. Nisbett looks like he can go far. You still have McBurnie, Shankland, Burke and Griffiths in cover. 

With GK outside the usual 3 you have

Liam Kelly at Well, Clark at St. Johnstone, Bain at Celtic and MacGillivray at Portsmouth. I wouldn't have any of them above Marshall or Gordon. Kelly and Clark are decent SPL keepers but not good enough to be Scotland No #1. Bain will be back to 2nd/3rd choice Celtic keeper next season, he's only first choice due to how poor the other options are. I'll be honest I don't know anything about MacGillivray.

McCrorie has had a bad season. Doohlan has came back to Celtic to sit in the stands. Beyond that you are hoping Muir (Norwich), Slicker (Man City and/or Kinnear (Rangers) develop well.

Basically short term and long term it isn't looking good at Goalkeeper for us.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

13 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It is very worrying.

We seem to have sorted most areas on the park except for GK. We then then have a promising players coming through in each position except GK.

RB - O'Donnell has really improved and Patterson looks to be a star in the making. Ashby at West Ham looks another promising youngster and Hickey would be happy at RB

CB - still relatively weak but a lot of our CBs have improved over the past few years. Hanley, Hendry and Gallagher are relatively decent players alongside Tierney, who has improved as a central defender during his time at Arsenal. Then you have Cooper, McKenna and quite a few promising young CBs (Porteous, King, Hamilton, etc).

ST - Dykes suits Clarke's style to a tee. Adams coming in has really strengthened us. Nisbett looks like he can go far. You still have McBurnie, Shankland, Burke and Griffiths in cover. 

Liam Kelly at Well, Clark at St. Johnstone, Bain at Celtic and MacGillivray at Portsmouth. I wouldn't have any of them above Marshall or Gordon. Kelly and Clark are decent SPL keepers but not good enough to be Scotland No #1. Bain will be back to 2nd/3rd choice Celtic keeper next season, he's only first choice due to how poor the other options are. I'll be honest I don't know anything about MacGillivray.

McCrorie has had a bad season. Doohlan has came back to Celtic to sit in the stands. Beyond that you are hoping Muir (Norwich), Slicker (Man City and/or Kinnear (Rangers) develop well.

Depressingly accurate.

Really we need McGregor in for the Euros badly.

I’d like to see us taking Kelly, McCrorie etc instead of McLaughlin as they may not be at his level but we have to blood youth there at some point and it’ll only make things worse picking three ageing goalies squad after squad... 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Depressingly accurate.

Really we need McGregor in for the Euros badly.

I’d like to see us taking Kelly, McCrorie etc instead of McLaughlin as they may not be at his level but we have to blood youth there at some point and it’ll only make things worse picking three ageing goalies squad after squad... 

I think after the Euros things will change somewhat in that regard. Not necessarily with the number one but younger keepers will make the squad.
I’d like to see Slicker fast tracked. Playing u23 at 18 for Man City (and winning things) is a big achievement. Get him in the squad and capped. If he turns out pish, no harm done. 

13 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think after the Euros things will change somewhat in that regard. Not necessarily with the number one but younger keepers will make the squad.
I’d like to see Slicker fast tracked. Playing u23 at 18 for Man City (and winning things) is a big achievement. Get him in the squad and capped. If he turns out pish, no harm done. 

If a goalie turns out pish there's actually a hell of a lot of harm that can be done!

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

If a goalie turns out pish there's actually a hell of a lot of harm that can be done!

Ha ha. I was meaning chuck him on against the Faroes or the like and then see if he makes it in club football. All the evidence suggests (and this is the type of evidence Wales use) is that he will make it as he’s clearly highly regarded,  but there’s a risk he may be poached by another country. 

On 5/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It is very worrying.

Yeh well summarised man.  Definitely the keeper situation is a concern long term.  Another young keeper maybe worth mentioning is 19 year old Harry Stone from Hearts. Read he is a intelligent lad & one of the best prospects to come through the academy in recent times. If there's any Hearts fans on this forum perhaps they could tell us more. 

Edited by theabsentee
Grammar fault

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:25 PM, theabsentee said:

Yeh well summarised man.  Definitely the keeper situation is a concern long term.  Another young keeper maybe worth mentioning is 19 year old Harry Stone from Hearts. Read he is a intelligent lad & one of the best prospects to come through the academy in recent times. If there's any Hearts fans on this forum perhaps they could tell us more. 

I would also like to hear more. People are raving about him, including the Albion Rovers boss where he is currently on loan. 

We worry about this far too much. Goalies mature much much later than other positions (Buffon has just retired at 43). McLaughlin is only 32 and Zander Clark 26; I think those two can buy us time while younger choices can develop - like Kelly, Mair at Norwich etc. No need to panic.

Don't forget, two of the next three WC qualifiers in September are away to Denmark and Austria, probably not the time to blood young / new keepers. Agreed a young keeper should be in goals in the home match against Moldova sandwiched between and hopefully he will take it on from there. 

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

We worry about this far too much. Goalies mature much much later than other positions (Buffon has just retired at 43). McLaughlin is only 32 and Zander Clark 26; I think those two can buy us time while younger choices can develop - like Kelly, Mair at Norwich etc. No need to panic.

Wrong ages bud. McLaughlin turns 34 in September and Clark turns 29 next month.

Kelly is 25. Tbh I wouldn't put my eggs in his basket. He is 3rd or 4th choice goalkeeper at QPR and has been rotten down there. He's had a decent loan spell at Motherwell but I'm not convinced he'll make it to a level required to be Scotland number 1. I hope I'm wrong and he goes back to QPR and kicks on, but I think he'll be moved on or be QPR back up.

Another young keeper that hasn't been mentioned yet is Aidan McAdams. He just turned 22 and last summer he made a big decision to leave Rangers and join Morton permanently. He's had a fantastic season and won Morton's POTY, YPOTY and player's POTY. Definitely one to watch and hopefully can step up to a higher level in the next couple of seasons.

On Buffon while he retired at that age he went downhill quite a bit and wasn't really a first choice keeper for the final 3/4 years of his career. Still better than most but not the keeper he was.

Keepers can play later but most start losing their reflexes and agility at 36+. Some like Buffon and McGregor maintain their agility and reflexes but the vast majority start declining rapidly. 

17 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Wrong ages bud. McLaughlin turns 34 in September and Clark turns 29 next month.

Kelly is 25. Tbh I wouldn't put my eggs in his basket. He is 3rd or 4th choice goalkeeper at QPR and has been rotten down there. He's had a decent loan spell at Motherwell but I'm not convinced he'll make it to a level required to be Scotland number 1. I hope I'm wrong and he goes back to QPR and kicks on, but I think he'll be moved on or be QPR back up.

Another young keeper that hasn't been mentioned yet is Aidan McAdams. He just turned 22 and last summer he made a big decision to leave Rangers and join Morton permanently. He's had a fantastic season and won Morton's POTY, YPOTY and player's POTY. Definitely one to watch and hopefully can step up to a higher level in the next couple of seasons.

On Buffon while he retired at that age he went downhill quite a bit and wasn't really a first choice keeper for the final 3/4 years of his career. Still better than most but not the keeper he was.

Keepers can play later but most start losing their reflexes and agility at 36+. Some like Buffon and McGregor maintain their agility and reflexes but the vast majority start declining rapidly. 

Cheers for that Blantyre. I'm shocked about Clark especially. And now I'm reading that Buffon is considering playing for someone else. I'd still use Mclaughlin as a stop-gap though. Kelly has not been bad for Motherwell and can still improve.

Edited by Third Lanark

On 5/20/2021 at 8:56 AM, er yir macaroon said:

I would also like to hear more. People are raving about him, including the Albion Rovers boss where he is currently on loan. 

Hearts fan here - Harry Stone has enormous potential and is the best keeper we've produced since Craig Gordon. League Two seems to have toughened him up and Albion Rovers' defensive record improved massively after he went on loan there.

He occasionally hesitates in communicating with his teammates but would put this down to communication which can certainly be coached with gaining experience. Strengths are very quick reflexes from close range and good with his feet. Similar mould to Allan McGregor in terms of shot-stopping.

I'd imagine he'll be out on loan in the Championship next season to a Raith/Dunfermline before competing with Gordon for first choice in 2022. Exciting prospect.

13 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Hearts fan here - Harry Stone has enormous potential and is the best keeper we've produced since Craig Gordon. League Two seems to have toughened him up and Albion Rovers' defensive record improved massively after he went on loan there.

He occasionally hesitates in communicating with his teammates but would put this down to communication which can certainly be coached with gaining experience. Strengths are very quick reflexes from close range and good with his feet. Similar mould to Allan McGregor in terms of shot-stopping.

I'd imagine he'll be out on loan in the Championship next season to a Raith/Dunfermline before competing with Gordon for first choice in 2022. Exciting prospect.

As a hearts fan what did you think of McLaughlin? As far as I can see he did OK in all his Rangers games and personally I have no faith in Gordon or Marshall

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

As a hearts fan what did you think of McLaughlin? As far as I can see he did OK in all his Rangers games and personally I have no faith in Gordon or Marshall

Very solid, can't think of a single mistake in the season he was with us. Competent shot-stopper and confident with crosses. I'd pick him ahead of Gordon or Marshall for the Euros but he'll almost certainly get no game time.

Always worry when Gordon receives a passback and Marshall seems to regularly concede goals where the ball goes through him.

9 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Very solid, can't think of a single mistake in the season he was with us. Competent shot-stopper and confident with crosses. I'd pick him ahead of Gordon or Marshall for the Euros but he'll almost certainly get no game time.

Always worry when Gordon receives a passback and Marshall seems to regularly concede goals where the ball goes through him.

I'm worried about Gordon with any thing hit with any sort of pace, quality of strikers of the ball between our championship and the Euros is rather different I would imagine! 

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm worried about Gordon with any thing hit with any sort of pace, quality of strikers of the ball between our championship and the Euros is rather different I would imagine! 

Drivel. Players don't kick the ball as hard in the lower leagues? 

2 minutes ago, losinkiltpins said:

I think the point being made is that saving shots hit by postmen & brickies isn’t ideal prep for saving shots hit by Harry Kane etc. 

Just now, losinkiltpins said:

Nope they don't kick it with the same pace and accuracy that they do at higher levels. Dare say there's one or two who could knock down a barn door with their pace unfortunately they are unlikely to hit it.