Aberdeen / Hibs - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

With 2nd place getting into CL qualifiers next year and Celtic having a big rebuilding job on their hands. If we assume that Celtic will get around the same points total next year. What would it take for either Aberdeen or Hibs to beat them into 2nd place.

The points gap at the minute is about 15. 

How many signings, what kind of quality realistically would they require, how much money would need to be spent.

Could Aberdeen bridge the gap for example by snapping up the best of the out of contract Scottish Prem players like Gallagher and combining them with a couple of 200k signings?

Ive not watched many Hibs games so cant really comment on them but Aberdeen have a solid GK, with Brown, McCrorie and Ferguson making up CM thats solid. What other positions would they be ok in? I know they need at least 1 striker.

What would these clubs need though in terms of players and do any supporters of these clubs believe that it could be achieveable?

My view on Aberdeen the last few years is that they have largely been solid but without the belief or talent to reguarly take points off the old firm. Quite literally the best of the rest.

However Hearts a few years back showed that with only some small additions to a decent squad and some belief that you can go on a run.

If Aberdeen get Gallagher and a couple of good strikers then they might be able to start well. 

How are they suited out wide? Hayes doesnt cut it as a starter for me, good squad player. 

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

What would these clubs need though in terms of players and do any supporters of these clubs believe that it could be achieveable?

My view on Aberdeen the last few years is that they have largely been solid but without the belief or talent to reguarly take points off the old firm. Quite literally the best of the rest.

However Hearts a few years back showed that with only some small additions to a decent squad and some belief that you can go on a run.

If Aberdeen get Gallagher and a couple of good strikers then they might be able to start well. 

How are they suited out wide? Hayes doesnt cut it as a starter for me, good squad player. 

Aberdeen are going to need a lot of new players. At least 2 new strikers, two wingers and a centre back. We are well covered in midfield. 

You are absolutely correct about belief,the mindset needs to change. Under mcinnes this wasn't possible because he holds the classic Scottish football mindset...... the OF can't be touched and never speak out against them. He also came across as someone who thought Aberdeen were lucky to have him,personally I think he was untouchable under milne because milne barely questioned him, Cormack wants better and mcinnes couldn't cope with that.

Under glass and cormack I'm still not sure yet. Both certainly talk a good game and glass has got off to a reasonable start,no where near perfect as the Dundee utd cup result demonstrated but we've picked up a few wins and scored some goals, that's an improvement on the eye bleeding pish served up by mcinnes. I honestly can't believe there's a slim chance of 3rd. It doesn't mean much on the grand scheme but it would be a little confidemce booster.

I hate this phrase but Glass needs a really good transfers window. 

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Personally, I believe that we'll improve if we continue to sign the other Premiership teams' captains.

Its not unusual for players to be on short contracts for clubs outside the old firm. Normally 1 or 2 years.

Aberdeen could do much better with targeting the rest of the leagues players and snapping them up on a free. They can offer the best wages.

Aberdeen have a rebuild job on par with Celtic's. They have quite a few interesting younger players and potentially signing Gallagher would be a fantastic signing. They will take time to gel and I think they will probably end up 4th.

Hibs have probably the biggest chance. They have a good solid side, a fantastic young manager and if they can win the Scottish cup it would guarantee them £3-5 million from European football. If they do win the Scottish cup and keep the likes of Nisbett, Boyle, Doig and Boyle, while investing the millions from European football into the squad they could be a force next season. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they lose atleast 2 of those 4 players and "Hibs it" in the Scottish cup.

That being said I don't see either club having the strength in depth and consistency over the course of a season to challenge for second.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

On 5/4/2021 at 8:21 AM, Diamond Scot said:

With 2nd place getting into CL qualifiers next year and Celtic having a big rebuilding job on their hands. If we assume that Celtic will get around the same points total next year. What would it take for either Aberdeen or Hibs to beat them into 2nd place.

The points gap at the minute is about 15. 

How many signings, what kind of quality realistically would they require, how much money would need to be spent.

Could Aberdeen bridge the gap for example by snapping up the best of the out of contract Scottish Prem players like Gallagher and combining them with a couple of 200k signings?

Ive not watched many Hibs games so cant really comment on them but Aberdeen have a solid GK, with Brown, McCrorie and Ferguson making up CM thats solid. What other positions would they be ok in? I know they need at least 1 striker.

Celtic will win the league next season. Aberdeen and Hibernian will be chasing rangers....💪💪💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 5/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, weekevie04 said:

Aberdeen to Hibs it or Hibs to Hibs it?

Aberdeen hibs’d it when we went 9 or 10 games without scoring, unbelievable that we could still take 3rd. Be the ultimate hibs it by the hibees if we do 😳

42 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Aberdeen hibs’d it when we went 9 or 10 games without scoring, unbelievable that we could still take 3rd. Be the ultimate hibs it by the hibees if we do 😳

A battle thoroughly deserved to be in the Hibs'd of all nations, Scotland ;)