Lying down in the wall.... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lying down in the wall....

I have seen this a few times now and am curious as to why, and I guess it's ok with the refs? When a free kick infraction, a defending player lies down behind the wall, I mean, lying down. Never, ever seen this before, so I imagine it's new? Makes no sense to me. Is it a way of defending a low shot with either yir face or yir baws? Surely it is a disadvantage as the player is laying on the ground, completely useless,.and risk of a hand ball no? 

22 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Think it's to stop a free kick going under the wall when the wall jumps.

I get that, but it seems completely daft. Why after 150 years of football around the world, someone just figured it out? Simple, those in the wall, just dont jump !!!!  The player lying down, is a risk of a handball, and secondly, he or she, is useless on the ground.. As a football manager myself, I would never use this. Roberto Carlos, or George Albertz steps up, sure as fuck I wont be volunteering.. 🤣🤣

Another pointless use that footballers think is revolutionary. One of our kids asked if he should lie down behind the wall when practicing free kicks the other week, it’s a good job we’re not allowed to swear at them 😂😂

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Another pointless use that footballers think is revolutionary. One of our kids asked if he should lie down behind the wall when practicing free kicks the other week, it’s a good job we’re not allowed to swear at them 😂😂

👍 Agreed...

15 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I can honestly think of one under the wall freekick. Even before this nonsense they were an absolute rarity.

Charlie Adam's goal in the OF derby is the only successful low freekick I have seen.

There was one scored for Colombia v Japan at the last WC.

Alan Thompson for Celtic v Liverpool too?

16 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Did it originate in Australia? Down Under 🤣🤣

Don't know mate. I watch quite a bit of La Liga and Serie A and it is a fairly common practice in those leagues. Sure it was during a Liga match when one of the Spanish guys remarked that the literal translation to English from Spanish for it is the crocodile - so maybe just how it is known in Spain.

9 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Don't know mate. I watch quite a bit of La Liga and Serie A and it is a fairly common practice in those leagues. Sure it was during a Liga match when one of the Spanish guys remarked that the literal translation to English from Spanish for it is the crocodile - so maybe just how it is known in Spain.

👍🙂