Ryan Gauld - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld

Taylor1996

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Bingo!

Having them integrated in the squad is definitely better than dragging off a beach somewhere as they're in party mode.

Disagree.

Dragging them along giving them another week of false hope that they may yet be in the final squad? What's the point? The ones on stand-by have been told and its better that way rather than have them throwing a strop amongst the rest of the squad when told they are going to miss out. And more players means more chance of a COVID outbreak. That we can really do without.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Disagree.

Dragging them along giving them another week of false hope that they may yet be in the final squad? What's the point? The ones on stand-by have been told and its better that way rather than have them throwing a strop amongst the rest of the squad when told they are going to miss out. And more players means more chance of a COVID outbreak. That we can really do without.

I think there are pros to both arguments. I was on the side of bring extra players initially. But now that I've seen our 26, I'm pretty happy it's a settled squad, and everyone knows they have already proven themselves and are there on merit. No more auditions, because the manager isn't sure. They can all go away knowing the manager believes in them.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Disagree.

I doubt any of the players would complain about being involved with the national team. Plus it'll give Steve Clarke a chance to see more of the fringe players in the flesh.

What's the point? 

22 managers have confirmed their provisional squads.

12 teams have named squads between 28 - 36. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

If the squad is bigger it'll mean the potential replacement players will train and acclimatise themselves to the group... as opposed to being drafted in at the 11th  hour, not knowing tactics, not knowing the process, etc.

This is why most of the other countries are picking larger squads.

Most other countries probably have more than 26 international class players to choose from (or maybe the manager is struggling to nail down his 26?).  Clarke says he was struggling to pick 23. Or more than 23 anyway.

If we have any injuries I’m sure their replacements will get up to speed quickly. They probably won’t play anyway. 

43 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Bingo!

Having them integrated in the squad is definitely better than dragging off a beach somewhere as they're in party mode.

They would be let go at the end of May and would then potentially be recalled up to a week later due to injuries if we pick any up in our friendlies. Potentially a waste of time and money particularly for players that would barely feature.

Clarke wouldn’t have been wrong to name a larger squad but he’s not wrong to not do it either. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure it's a great idea, any potential replacements will already be in wind down mode so not sure how valuable any call ups would be.

Callum Paterson has already put a stone on if previous close seasons are any thing to go by.

Clarke has already told potential replacements to keep themselves fit. If they choose not to do that then that’s up to them. Not sure I’d want that sort of lack of professionalism in the squad anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Most other countries probably have more than 26 international class players to choose from (or maybe the manager is struggling to nail down his 26?).  Clarke says he was struggling to pick 23. Or more than 23 anyway.

If we have any injuries I’m sure their replacements will get up to speed quickly. They probably won’t play anyway. 

I doubt Hungary, Finland and Wales are especially more options than us.

Austria (30 players)
Belgium (26 players)
Croatia (34 players)
England (33 players)
Finland (31 players)
France (26 players)
Germany (26 players)
Hungary (30 players)
Italy (33 players)
Netherlands (36 players)
North Macedonia (26 players)
Poland (26 players)
Portugal (26 players)
Russia (29 players)
Scotland (26 players)
Slovakia (24 players)
Spain (24 players)
Sweden (26 players)
Switzerland (29 players)
Turkey (30 players)
Ukraine (30 players)
Wales (28 players)

Edited by Taylor1996

I do not give a stuff what other countries do. Clarke already knows what his final 26 is and that is all that matters. Those that missed out he knows inside out anyway and were not going to feature in his final 26. At the end of the day that is good. It tells me he is not humming and hawing and why would he? He knows all of the players at his disposal inside out.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I do not give a stuff what other countries do. Clarke already knows what his final 26 is and that is all that matters. Those that missed out he knows inside out anyway and were not going to feature in his final 26. At the end of the day that is good. It tells me he is not humming and hawing and why would he? He knows all of the players at his disposal inside out.

Agree. It's a positive message that he knows his own mind but still has the flexibility to select and integrate newbies as well.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I doubt Hungary, Finland and Wales are especially more options than us.

Austria (30 players)
Belgium (26 players)
Croatia (34 players)
England (33 players)
Finland (31 players)
France (26 players)
Germany (26 players)
Hungary (30 players)
Italy (33 players)
Netherlands (36 players)
North Macedonia (26 players)
Poland (26 players)
Portugal (26 players)
Russia (29 players)
Scotland (26 players)
Slovakia (24 players)
Spain (24 players)
Sweden (26 players)
Switzerland (29 players)
Turkey (30 players)
Ukraine (30 players)
Wales (28 players)

All you’ve proven with this is the best teams have selected 26 players. Maybe Clarke is on to something?

Seriously though, none of these managers are right or wrong about this. They are all different. Some will be comfortable with their 26 man squad abs some will want a look at some fringe players before they decide. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

All you’ve proven with this is the best teams have selected 26 players. Maybe Clarke is on to something?

Seriously though, none of these managers are right or wrong about this. They are all different. Some will be comfortable with their 26 man squad abs some will want a look at some fringe players before they decide. 

This

with the Netherlands going for 36 ! And why not if they’re looking at next years World Cup. 

happy with the squad, and injuries aside don’t expect Gauld to be in the squad before the Autumn 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Yep. There's no right or wrong.

Back to Ryan Gauld.

Now Benfica are linked to Gauld.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/ryan-gauld-benfica-list-targets-24185050