Ryan Gauld - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld

Taylor1996

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Am I right in saying Andy Gray was left out of the 1978 squad despite winning Player of the year and Young player of the year in his debut season in the old English first division? Also, did John McGovern not captain the European cup winning team two years in a row and never got a Scotland cap?

Correct on both.

Changed days.

30 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Am I right in saying Andy Gray was left out of the 1978 squad despite winning Player of the year and Young player of the year in his debut season in the old English first division? Also, did John McGovern not captain the European cup winning team two years in a row and never got a Scotland cap?

Andy Gray is a tit.

Completely irrelevant to your post but I haven’t said that for a while and thought it was time. 

(Since Andy Gray has been mentioned)

Gray and Keys made Sky Sports what is.

The only reason Gray was sacked because the Sun hacked his phone and for some weird reason, he objected. Who owns/owned the Sun and Sky? Gray's boss.

Gray is wasted in a studio.

Andy Gray and Martin Tyler are the best football commentary duo. Legends.

Gauld has been in good form this season and is a good player. In other times he would have walked into the squad however he is competting against established EPL players and players who play for the biggest clubs in Scotland. 

Nomatter how you mix it, he hasnt performed at that level in his career to date.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Yea but he was no were near as good as Joe Harper.

Apparently, Gauld has 30 teams tracking him, including Sporting Lisbon, Braga, Southampton, Swansea, Stoke, Norwich. 

No matter where he moves, I hope that it's in a better league than the one that Farense will be in next season.

I think he has enough cache now to be able to move and be guaranteed a starting place. If he had to move to England, I would love to see him at a team like Leeds.

On 5/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, The Black Bra said:

Also Alan Hansen captained Liverpool to the double in 1986 but didn't make the squad for Mexico. 

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Anyway on Gauld it is time for him to play with the big boys. Lets see him in a better league and see what he can do week in week out against better players. If he cracks it then there is no way Clarke can ignore him then.

Let’s be honest he shouldn’t be getting ignored now.

He’s in a better league than the SPL sans is one of the best players in it statistically. 

Clarke picked a really promising squad and can’t be criticised for taking uncapped players we all wanted in, however, Gauld should be capped by now for sure.

Southampton after him apparently.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57213885

26 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He’s in a better league than the SPL sans is one of the best players in it statistically. 

Clarke picked a really promising squad and can’t be criticised for taking uncapped players we all wanted in, however, Gauld should be capped by now for sure.

Southampton after him apparently.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57213885

Would be great to see him play with Stuart Armstrong again.  

Anywhere except Scotland would be fine, unless he comes back to Tannadice of course. 

25 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Personally, I'd have left either Taylor or 1 of the CBs at home and took an extra midfielder in Gauld. But it really is hard to argue against any of the players that have been picked ahead of him - Armstrong, Turnbull, McGinn, Christie, Fraser. 

I think his inclusion is inevitable, and with slightly more fortunate transfer decisions in the past, he might have been playing for us for a few years by now. But Scotland have so many examples of players being called up late and flourishing. His time will come.

I think Clarke made it clear why Taylor is in: it's so he can field two full teams in training; since Tierney will play centre back he needs an authentic left back for the other team. I get that totally. If Gauld had been selected instead of Turnbull - as he easily coud have  - then we would all have been moaning that Turnbull was omitted, despite the fact he was quite poor in recent games av Rangers.

13 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Anywhere except Scotland would be fine, unless he comes back to Tannadice of course. 

Agreed. Celtic especially would go for him and probably are interested but Gauld seems to have bags of ambition so hopefully he goes to the EPL and Southampton are a good mid table club to establish yourself at. 

Southampton, Wolves, Leeds etc - all of these would be good for him. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

So if someone played for Hamilton, had 10 goals, 15 assists and a clutch of mom awards would they have been an automatic pick?? Nope, so why does a chap playing for one of the worst teams in the Portuguese top flight get in the squad? Yes, it is a better league than the one in Scotland but it is hardly the La Liga. Just trying to put a little perspective on it though I agree with most in that I would have liked to see Gauld in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

So if someone played for Hamilton, had 10 goals, 15 assists and a clutch of mom awards would they have been an automatic pick?? Nope, so why does a chap playing for one of the worst teams in the Portuguese top flight get in the squad? Yes, it is a better league than the one in Scotland but it is hardly the La Liga. Just trying to put a little perspective on it though I agree with most in that I would have liked to see Gauld in the squad. 

The Portuguese league is a country mile better than the SPFL. There’s no comparison.  

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

If he was to come back to the UK, I think Southampton would be a good club. Steve Clarke would probably be happy too. It would be good to see him in Spain or one of the top four in Portugal. 

4 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

I'd agree with that. My nagging worry was his loan spell at Hibs, which by all accounts, was underwhelming. He has upped his levels since then and just feel he has been unfortunate on two levels. Firstly, we are well stacked in the position he plays in and we've been doing decent of late. Secondly, he's been unlucky because there are virtually no meaningless friendlies anymore where you used to be able to experiment and look at new players, However, if he moves to the EPL say and puts in good performances it will be a formality for him.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I think Clarke made it clear why Taylor is in: it's so he can field two full teams in training; since Tierney will play centre back he needs an authentic left back for the other team. I get that totally. If Gauld had been selected instead of Turnbull - as he easily coud have  - then we would all have been moaning that Turnbull was omitted, despite the fact he was quite poor in recent games av Rangers.

There is a little more to it than that. He could easily have taken Considine for the same reason, if it was just about having someone to play against in training, and would have had a more fairytale aspect to it.

Clarke has alluded to the importance of having a good dynamic in the camp because these guys are going to be together for over a month. I've heard Taylor is a good guy to have in the dressing room, which may have edged it for him.

Obviously Clarke doesn't know what Gauld is like in person, so wouldn't have had that extra reason to be included. But I wonder if anyone was excluded for that reason.

16 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

No.

EPL teams wouldn’t be chasing them either as it’s an inferior league. 

On 5/23/2021 at 11:56 AM, ProudScot said:

No.

EPL teams wouldn’t be chasing them either as it’s an inferior league. 

Correct but that player would no doubt be quickly snapped up by Celtic or Rangers then likely be in Scotland squad shortly thereafter.