England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them?

Big Ramy 1314

Simple question, can we beat them? I know there is alot of variables here, but if we have our healthy top 11 on the park, and Clarke gets the formation correct, is it a long shot, or can we compete with them. To be honest, I do not follow or watch England, so I have no idea what their strengths are apart from Harry Kane, who I know can punish you. How do we play them? Defend then counter? Go at them? Hope for a set piece? It's at Wembley anaw, so there yae are. I will be in ma kilt, Scotland top, playing my Bagpipes surrounded by English, so I am hoping for something special.. Scotland Forever...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. We can win.

Keep it tight in midfield and try to cut off the supply to Kane. Their midfield isn't that good, in my opinion, especially if Jordan Henderson misses out. And unleash Dykes on them.

Having Tierney in the middle (either defence or midfield) will be a key component as he's hard as a rock and quick. Not many players will be able to negotiate past him.

Their goalkeeping situation is a dicey one. Pope is good, but he's not exactly Shilton or Seaman.

Shaw has turned into Robertson. Right back they are strong. Stones and Maguire are a good pairing, not sure how they'd react to the Aussie Rules striker coming up against them, though.

Rice and Mount are good players, but they're lacking in that department. Jordan Henderson is a major doubt. If you compare their midfielders, individually, to the previous England teams, the current midfielders are average.

In attacking midfield positions they have many choices, from Sancho, Sterling, Foden, Greenwood, Rashford, etc.

Calvert-Lewin, Watkins and Kane are their main strikers

So yes, we can definitely get something. 

Foden is a dangerous player as is Sterling.  although the latter is inconsistent.  Our midfield is a match for theirs and if pickford is in goal we have a chance . Prone to mistakes . We would have to watch Kane and / or Rashford as would cause us problems . 

19 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Foden is a dangerous player as is Sterling.  although the latter is inconsistent.  Our midfield is a match for theirs and if pickford is in goal we have a chance . Prone to mistakes . We would have to watch Kane and / or Rashford as would cause us problems . 

How are they at defending and will they play 3 at the back as I am sure we will have a lone striker..

Not here to cause any annomisity but as an England fan, we should be far too strong for you. When u look at our attacking options grealish foden sancho kane mount sterling saka rashford dcl, i don't think your defense stands a chance against that. As for our midfield if Henderson is fit we still have players like Bellingham philips rice Ward-Prowse.  Rice has been excellent this season and has shown that for England too. We still have a better midfield than  you even if its our weakest area. We also have incredible depth at rightback plus two of the best leftbacks in the epl, chilwell and Shaw. Maguire and stones are solid centrebacks.  As for pickford, he's NEVER let England down.  Can't wait for the game. Good luck

23 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How are they at defending and will they play 3 at the back as I am sure we will have a lone striker..

They've alternated with a 3 and a 4 over the past year or so. I think it'll be a 4, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hopefully we keep to the 3-4-1-2.

15 minutes ago, roverboy said:

Not here to cause any annomisity but as an England fan, we should be far too strong for you. When u look at our attacking options grealish foden sancho kane mount sterling saka rashford dcl, i don't think your defense stands a chance against that. As for our midfield if Henderson is fit we still have players like Bellingham philips rice Ward-Prowse.  Rice has been excellent this season and has shown that for England too. We still have a better midfield than  you even if its our weakest area. We also have incredible depth at rightback plus two of the best leftbacks in the epl, chilwell and Shaw. Maguire and stones are solid centrebacks.  As for pickford, he's NEVER let England down.  Can't wait for the game. Good luck

No animosity felt. Say what you want.

Whether it's Pope, Pickford or Henderson, they'll be targeted by Dykes, which is why I hope Dykes starts. Pope will probably get the nod as he's the most consistent. 

My main issue about the Scotland midfield is the balance. Steve Clarke has to add a defensive anchor to the midfield, otherwise it could be scary.

Oh, McTominay is a big game player, he's did it against PSG and Barcelona, etc, he'll turn up for this one.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

No animosity felt. Say what you want.

Whether it's Pope, Pickford or Henderson, they'll be targeted by Dykes, which is why I hope Dykes starts. Pope will probably get the nod as he's the most consistent. 

My main issue about the Scotland midfield is the balance. Steve Clarke has to add a defensive anchor to the midfield, otherwise it could be scary.

Oh, McTominay is a big game player, he's did it against PSG and Barcelona, etc, he'll turn up for this one.

Good luck.

Thanks 

25 minutes ago, roverboy said:

I agree with most of what you have said although think Maguire and Stones are prone to mistakes . 

You do have a very strong squad but Scotland are better as underdogs 

No animosity felt and may the best team win 

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

They've alternated with a 3 and a 4 over the past year or so. I think it'll be a 4, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hopefully we keep to the 3-4-1-2.

I hope so. Clarke likes to play defensive, or cautious football if you will from want I have seen..We should not fear England. I want tae beat these bastards. I have been on the receiving end of all my english mates here for 22 fuckin years.  I want tae ram me Bagpipes right doon their throats. Follow them home and play the Pipes..🤣🤣. It's time tae stand up and sort these cunts !!!! Intae those Bastaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards!!!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

29 minutes ago, roverboy said:

Whit????? You oan the sauce fella? Scotland gonnae rip yees a new one !!!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💪💪💪💪💪💪

That's it, Mrs.Ramy on a conference call, and I'm wound up. Ahm gettin ma Bagpipes oot sharpish....  Divorce here ah come..🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢

6 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

I agree with most of what you have said although think Maguire and Stones are prone to mistakes . 

You do have a very strong squad but Scotland are better as underdogs 

No animosity felt and may the best team win 

U too

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Whit????? You oan the sauce fella? Scotland gonnae rip yees a new one !!!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💪💪💪💪💪💪

We'll see ;)

Scotland have to have the right mindset for this one. Dont get caught up in the hype. Keep it tight, and keep it simple. Everyone does their job, and wait and see what unfolds..  I am feeling more and more confident with every passing week. Dykes is scoring regularly, Tierney will be back, all the boys are playing well. We are the underdogs, and I like it that way. Tje boys want to play for Scotland, and they are competing for 11 spots, unlike years past. I trust Clarke, he is no mug.... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

If Clarke plays his system of 9 players on the edge of the box then when we go a goal down he trys to push forward and attack we will get humped by at least 3. We need to go out with the same attitude as we did in the playoff final.

It will also depend on what position we are in after the first 2 games and them. If any of us have already qualified there could be totally different teams starting. 

4 minutes ago, stitch said:

If Clarke plays his system of 9 players on the edge of the box then when we go a goal down he trys to push forward and attack we will get humped by at least 3. We need to go out with the same attitude as we did in the playoff final.

It will also depend on what position we are in after the first 2 games and them. If any of us have already qualified there could be totally different teams starting. 

Good point there..👍

3 minutes ago, stitch said:

Surely nobody will have qualified after one game.

20 minutes ago, stitch said:

I thought we played them in the second game?

IMO, this current England team isn't as good as the one we played the last time we met in the European Championships; but to be fair, neither is our team!

If we show them too much respect - which we have an unfortunate habit of doing with certain opponents - then I think they'll beat us comfortably.  However, I think we're capable now of at least giving them a good game.  I don't expect us to win or even draw, but if we approach it the right way then winning is possible.