Les McKeown - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

29 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Our community centre as well, probably the same tour. It's amazing what you find on the internet. 

75e41c31723c74ee14810b29b05f.jpeg

Would've been around the same time so I wouldn't be surprised.

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Convicted killer. Drunk driving.

Based on aaids opinion of Alex Salmond, who was CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES, aaid probably thinks he should have been hung drawn and quartered. ;)

If I was going to be unfair I might compare him to one of the other members of the group, but that would be ridiculous.

Anyway, as Salmond himself said before the trial, "I'm not perfect, I've made mistakes, personal and political, but I'm not I'm innocent of any criminality".  I completely accept that, its the parts which makes him "not perfect" and the "mistakes" he's made which I have a problem with.

18 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I had one of them too 😂

Did your mum work in Nairns as well?

From what I remember they were a bit shit.  The whole thing was knitted and I guess it's quite difficult to knit tartan, so it was more like a crappy check design.

6 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

These days it's Harry Potter scarves that seem all the rage around the town 😉

They made all the school jumpers for the films as well.

A good friend of mine, the guy responsible - who would have been a neighbour of yours - not Harry Potter.

5 hours ago, bonzo said:

Our community centre as well, probably the same tour. It's amazing what you find on the internet. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

75p entry 😂

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Maybe that's why they didn't make any money and nothing to do with Tam Paton.

They were clearly a major act to be charging such extortionate ticket prices...

a2fea75c008aed5678f2a8e665744064.jpg

6EzIpzXmGdVUxLrSuGnnyqExukDm2-ktt0mOegm7

FNMAzY_HBdOuLXz214Oc6LihPENE5d94B-sKEYW1

Les passing even made the local Ottawa news. They were talking about how the band formed, and how they came up with the name "Bay City Rollers".  Apparantly the band agreed that they would throw a dart at a World map, and were it landed, that would be their band name. It landed on "Arkansas" at first, they did not like it and threw a second dart. It landed on Bay City USA.  So there you have it.. God Bless Les. RIP..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

15 hours ago, bonzo said:

Just looking back at this, of course the Rollers had been around for several years in different line-ups before they hit the charts, which was why Alan Longmuir looked like the grandad in the band.   However, I hadn't appreciated how quickly after the "classic" line up came together that they took off.

The Longmuirs were original members from 1966 when they were originally called the Saxons.  Eric Faulkner joined in March 1972.  Then Les McKeown in November 73 and Woody in January 74.

The day after this gig, Remember (Sha La La) entered the charts at #38 and 12 days later they made their debut on TOTP and the rest is history.   Later that year they did a full UK tour which included a headline gig at the Apollo.

Imagine you were Woody at 16, you join this band and less than two months later you're on Top of the Pops.

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Just looking back at this, of course the Rollers had been around for several years in different line-ups before they hit the charts, which was why Alan Longmuir looked like the grandad in the band.   However, I hadn't appreciated how quickly after the "classic" line up came together that they took off.

The Longmuirs were original members from 1966 when they were originally called the Saxons.  Eric Faulkner joined in March 1972.  Then Les McKeown in November 73 and Woody in January 74.

The day after this gig, Remember (Sha La La) entered the charts at #38 and 12 days later they made their debut on TOTP and the rest is history.   Later that year they did a full UK tour which included a headline gig at the Apollo.

Imagine you were Woody at 16, you join this band and less than two months later you're on Top of the Pops.

Yep, here they are on TOTP in 1971 with original singer Gordon "Nobby" Clark...

0_Photo-of-BAY-CITY-ROLLERS.jpg

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yep, here they are on TOTP in 1971 with original singer Gordon "Nobby" Clark...

0_Photo-of-BAY-CITY-ROLLERS.jpg

I believe the second guitarist, hidden behind the piano, is Neil Henderson who would later join Middle of the Road, and then later than that had a music shop in Stewarton as well as a big fuck off Alsatian. 

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

They were clearly a major act to be charging such extortionate ticket prices...

a2fea75c008aed5678f2a8e665744064.jpg

6EzIpzXmGdVUxLrSuGnnyqExukDm2-ktt0mOegm7

FNMAzY_HBdOuLXz214Oc6LihPENE5d94B-sKEYW1

😂😂

John and Tony Smith were popular ! Had no idea who they were but a google search says Tony Smith became Genesis manager and and co manager of Pink Floyd, and John was his dad. The Bay City Rollers definetely chose the wrong manager . 

16 hours ago, aaid said:

Did your mum work in Nairns as well?

From what I remember they were a bit shit.  The whole thing was knitted and I guess it's quite difficult to knit tartan, so it was more like a crappy check design.

My mum was at Curries, then left to open a Seamstress shop in beside Davie Hewitt. She's reminded me that she was in the Fancy Dress Parade as a Roller 😂

29 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂😂

John and Tony Smith were popular ! Had no idea who they were but a google search says Tony Smith became Genesis manager and and co manager of Pink Floyd, and John was his dad. The Bay City Rollers definetely chose the wrong manager . 

Tony was quite an interesting character, there's a book about his life coming out in a few weeks...

https://www.wymeruk.co.uk/webshop/books/rock/genesis/strat-the-charismatic-life-and-times-of-tony-stratton-smith/

16 hours ago, aaid said:

If I was going to be unfair I might compare him to one of the other members of the group, but that would be ridiculous.

Anyway, as Salmond himself said before the trial, "I'm not perfect, I've made mistakes, personal and political, but I'm not I'm innocent of any criminality".  I completely accept that, its the parts which makes him "not perfect" and the "mistakes" he's made which I have a problem with.

But that’s surely too high a bar for anyone to live up to. I myself am not perfect and have made mistakes. Are you gonna stop talking to me?

4 minutes ago, duncan II said:

But that’s surely too high a bar for anyone to live up to. I myself am not perfect and have made mistakes. Are you gonna stop talking to me?

Do you think this is acceptable behaviour?   This is the charge which he admitted happened - and which he made an apology of sorts for at the time - so the basic facts are not disputed, what he disputed was that it didn't amount to criminality.

Even if it were consensual, which the complianer disputes, do you think that this the way you'd accept a serving FM to behave?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/12/alex-salmond-said-sorry-after-assaulting-me-woman-tells-court

Interesting, the last paragraph is entirely backed up by evidence to the parliamentary inquiry about the culture around Salmond at the time.

Sent a Canadian friend (now in her mid 50's) the news of Les' passing in an email.

Felt her response was worth sharing...

"Oh my goodness, that is so sad. I didn’t see that news , thanks for sending.
Such great memories, first ‘bad boy’ teenage crush, bopping around crazily, kissing his poster on my walls- heartbreaking
Hope you are keeping well Scott, stay safe"

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Do you think this is acceptable behaviour?   This is the charge which he admitted happened - and which he made an apology of sorts for at the time - so the basic facts are not disputed, what he disputed was that it didn't amount to criminality.

Even if it were consensual, which the complianer disputes, do you think that this the way you'd accept a serving FM to behave?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/12/alex-salmond-said-sorry-after-assaulting-me-woman-tells-court

Interesting, the last paragraph is entirely backed up by evidence to the parliamentary inquiry about the culture around Salmond at the time.

That's her version of events. Alex Salmond only admitted to a "sleepy cuddle" and the jury saw no reason to disbelieve him. Your constant attempts to twist the evidence to suit your own prejudice will not change the fact that he was CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES.

You may continue to think that he was guilty of some heinous crime but the jury thought otherwise. 

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That's her version of events. Alex Salmond only admitted to a "sleepy cuddle" and the jury saw no reason to disbelieve him. Your constant attempts to twist the evidence to suit your own prejudice will not change the fact that he was CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES.

You may continue to think that he was guilty of some heinous crime but the jury thought otherwise. 

Was this the woman he apologised to, who accepted his apology, continued working with him even though she was offered another job elsewhere and who then decided a few years later it was an issue after all?  Highly plausible.

17 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Way to hijack a thread.