Traveling back to Scotland from Abroad via England - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Traveling back to Scotland from Abroad via England

I'm in SE Asia. Is it in theory possible to fly back to England then train it up the road to avoid the compulsory hotel quarantine in Scotland?

I know the home quarantine would still be a thing but I'd rather spend 10 days in the house than some hotel.

Details online are pretty sketchy. Any advice is appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mitre said:

I'm in SE Asia. Is it in theory possible to fly back to England then train it up the road to avoid the compulsory hotel quarantine in Scotland?

I know the home quarantine would still be a thing but I'd rather spend 10 days in the house than some hotel.

And you came to the TAMB? 😂 

Scotland advice is a bit sketchy- not sure if that’s what you’ve already looked at: 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-international-travel-quarantine/pages/what-you-must-do/

England advice includes this line: 

How to travel to the place where you’re quarantining

When you arrive in England, go straight to the place you’re staying to quarantine.

Only use public transport if you have no other option.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england

Edit to add: 

It all depends what country you are flying from as to whether you have enforced hotel quarantine. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

Its really muddy, my Mrs is trying to get booked to go visit her folks in Ukraine, but she does not fancy shelling out for 10 days in a hotel.

I have even contacted the UK embassy over there and all they did was send me to the Government site, which is open for interpretation.

From what I can gather, the hotel quarantine is only a few extreme red spots (mostly in South America and Africa) but you will have to fork out £170 for a test upon arrival back in the UK, and then go straight into 10 days quarantine at home (this is where it gets complex for Scotland, as its not really clear that if you fly into Luton, can you get a flight up the road or can you get train/drive up the road.

If your arrival test comes back negative, then I do not think you need to do the full 10/14 days quarantine (5 days rings a bell, but not entirely sure)

Boris has went really quiet on his vaccine passports, which he was suppose to be proposing last week, and its next week we get the travel lights system details which is suppose to make it clearer for travel and what you are expected to do upon arrival back in the UK.

Edited by wanderer

3 hours ago, Mitre said:

If you're still in the Philippines then that was added to the red list a week or so ago and so you'd have to quarantine in a hotel on arrival regardless of whether it was into England or Scotland.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

If you're still in the Philippines then that was added to the red list a week or so ago and so you'd have to quarantine in a hotel on arrival regardless of whether it was into England or Scotland.

I’m in Vietnam which is fine and would be looking to transit through either Singapore or Istanbul which are not on the lists. I can’t get into Philippines at all right now sadly.

Mate of a mate works with the Scottish government and said it’s ok and linked me up to this part online:

If you fly from abroad to an airport in England, you must quarantine in a hotel in England if you have travelled through an area of acute risk during the 10 days before you arrive in England. 

You can find a list of countries on the acute list (red list) on gov.uk. 

To get help booking hotels in England, use the quarantine hotel booking service. 

If you have not travelled through one of these acute risk areas in the 10 days before arriving in England, you will not need to quarantine in a hotel. Instead, you must self-isolate for 10 days (11 nights), either at home or anywhere else you are planning to stay in Scotland, unless you are exempt. Only a small number of people, such as those travelling for essential work, are exempt.

Looks doable then. Thanks for the replies.