European Super League - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

Taylor1996

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Kieran Tierney, Andy Robertson and Scott McTominay served Euro 2020 threat by furious UEFA

Does anyone else think we are cursed?

We qualify for our first tournament in 22 years. What happens? A pandemic.

Now this.

What next? A mankind ending asteroid?

I have no issues with players being banned once the league (if it happens) kicks-off but to ban them immediately is too OTT. They weren't to know what was about to happen. Heck even some of the managers had no idea it was going to happen. The sensible thing to do is allow players time to leave those clubs first before issuing bans.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have no issues with players being banned once the league (if it happens) kicks-off but to ban them immediately is too OTT. They weren't to know what was about to happen. Heck even some of the managers had no idea it was going to happen. The sensible thing to do is allow players time to leave those clubs first before issuing bans.

To say that It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds is really an understatement. 

I don't think FIFA are going to pull any punches with this one.

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

To say that It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds is really an understatement. 

I don't think FIFA are going to pull any punches with this one.

Hmm not sure FIFA will stand so strongly against it. Apparently, they're saying they hope all parties can find harmony in a way forward.

We have the makings of a golden generation and there’s a real possibility many of that generation will be ineligible to play. 

What’s more I think international football is under a grave threat, whichever way this pans out. It can only be saved by the disenfranchisement of the biggest clubs, including those not in the breakaway, who hold far too much power. It’s not easy to do that in a capitalist society. 

46 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

We have the makings of a golden generation and there’s a real possibility many of that generation will be ineligible to play. 

What’s more I think international football is under a grave threat, whichever way this pans out. It can only be saved by the disenfranchisement of the biggest clubs, including those not in the breakaway, who hold far too much power. It’s not easy to do that in a capitalist society. 

4 as it stands (Gilmour, McTominay, Tierney, Robertson) but that number may grow over the next few years.

What it will do is create a huge dilemma for the best players. A choice between the elite clubs & serious money, or earn less but be able to represent your country amd maintain your integrity.

I seriously doubt this will happen though. The backlash has been so severe. There will be boycotts galore.

18 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

4 as it stands (Gilmour, McTominay, Tierney, Robertson) but that number may grow over the next few years.

What it will do is create a huge dilemma for the best players. A choice between the elite clubs & serious money, or earn less but be able to represent your country amd maintain your integrity.

I seriously doubt this will happen though. The backlash has been so severe. There will be boycotts galore.

Agree with your last paragraph but if this some how did happen, Scotland would lose players but how much players would other nations be missing?

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Agree with your last paragraph but if this some how did happen, Scotland would lose players but how much players would other nations be missing?

Well England would lose probably 60% of their squad. As would the likes of Spain, Belgium, France et al. Yes, that might give us a better chance of competing, but at what cost? It would devalue the victories and forever have an asterisk next to it. Kind of like when we beat the Czech C team. It really didn't feel victorious. The shine will be removed from any international trophy and medal.

51 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

could players buy themselves out of their own contracts and then sign for someone else? Robertson or Tierney buying himself out and sign on a free for Bayern or PSG?

22 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

could players buy themselves out of their own contracts and then sign for someone else? Robertson or Tierney buying himself out and sign on a free for Bayern or PSG?

Good question. It could be seen as a breach of contract and be deemed void. It's going to be an absolute clusterf*ck. Especially if it affects the Euros, because you'd imagine June would be too early to enact any court cases or transfers before the tournament.

I think pretty swiftly some of these teams will back out of it. If fans aren't going to turn up to the stadiums or watch on TV, what's the point.

Robertson hasn't been great and there has been calls to drop him. 

Tierney is injured and no guarantee he will make Euros. 

Gilmour nowhere near team. 

McTominay would be a loss, but midfield is our strongest areas in terms of quality players eligible for selection. 

People can say what they want about Gary Neville but he doesnt hide his feelings.

And people can call him a hypocrite all they want about being the sugar daddy of Salford. They're legitimately working their way up from the bottom of English football. They aren't breaking away and entering anti competitive competition where there's no relegation or promotion. 

That was Neville on Sunday.

He was equally as forthright on Monday night football.

The fans don't want this. The players don't want this. The managers don't want this. The only ones who want this are the foreign owners that just want to cash in. It's all about greed. I think they've overstepped the mark on this one. There's no way that fans (especially the ones of "the top 6") are going to tolerate this.

Not sure why another thread was required but anyway

Neville isn't just a hypocrite for what he does at Salford he's a hypocrite because he thinks the current system is fine. The current system allows the rich boys to stay at the top, yes I agree this new proposal is worse but it's the next logical step and has been on the cards for a long time. Ex man utd players can get all angry if they want, their club has been at the heart of this for years, they've been part of a group of around a dozen clubs who have strangled competition and sporting integrity out completion for the last 30 years but now its a step too far? Really? It's been a step to far since UEFA started offering 2nd, 3rd place teams automatic places in Europes Premier competition. 

7 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s gonna happen. 

Not sure how it will impact the euros. 

Yeah they wouldn’t have announced it if it wasn’t certain. 

Expecting all the teams involved to be thrown out the champions league on Friday 

9 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Well England would lose probably 60% of their squad. As would the likes of Spain, Belgium, France et al. Yes, that might give us a better chance of competing, but at what cost? It would devalue the victories and forever have an asterisk next to it. Kind of like when we beat the Czech C team. It really didn't feel victorious. The shine will be removed from any international trophy and medal.

We were at full strength against the Czech c team, most teams at the Euros will be hit with reduced squads too. 

I actually can't see a situation where UEFA, the EPL or La Liga kick their clubs out or UEFA refuse to let players play at the Euros. They'll either meet the super rich clubs in the middle or they will cave.

8 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Robertson hasn't been great and there has been calls to drop him. 

Tierney is injured and no guarantee he will make Euros. 

Gilmour nowhere near team. 

McTominay would be a loss, but midfield is our strongest areas in terms of quality players eligible for selection. 

FFS

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Not sure why another thread was required but anyway

Neville isn't just a hypocrite for what he does at Salford he's a hypocrite because he thinks the current system is fine. The current system allows the rich boys to stay at the top, yes I agree this new proposal is worse but it's the next logical step and has been on the cards for a long time. Ex man utd players can get all angry if they want, their club has been at the heart of this for years, they've been part of a group of around a dozen clubs who have strangled competition and sporting integrity out completion for the last 30 years but now its a step too far? Really? It's been a step to far since UEFA started offering 2nd, 3rd place teams automatic places in Europes Premier competition. 

He’s done nothing wrong at Salford but your second part is correct. It is time to right these wrongs, not compound them. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s done nothing wrong at Salford but your second part is correct. It is time to right these wrongs, not compound them. 

I disagree, he's bought success, that for me is part of the problem. Buying success this way therefore strangling competition is ok but stranging competition by setting up a closed league isn't. Both are absolutely wrong. 

Football needs a rest button to bring it back to when it wasn't about the deepest pockets = success. Sky and neville are shitting it because their baby is under threat right now.

Edited by vanderark14

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree, he's bought success, that for me is part of the problem. Buying success this way therefore strangling competition is ok but stranging competition by setting up a closed league isn't. Both are absolutely wrong. 

Football needs a rest button to bring it back to when it wasn't about the deepest pockets = success. Sky and neville are shitting it because their baby is under threat right now.

He invested. A closed shop is a whole different ball game. 

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

i suspect lawyers will be all over this and the national associations find it difficult to ban players.

Don't have to ban them, just don't select them them for international teams.

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

He invested. A closed shop is a whole different ball game. 

I know its a different ball game BUT this current system is also broken. If you have deep enough pockets you can buy success. Competition has been destroyed long before this latest proposal. Neville and sky just support a slightly lighter of it.

An example is the CL, look at it in its current form. There's 32 spaces already taken with 6 available to others who have to climb a mountain to get there. Nobody will convince me that's competitive and fair.

I hear pish from fans down here like the spirit is being ripped out football, that's honestly hilarious coming from any fan of the EPL because the spirit was ripped from football, chewed up and spat out long before now.

42 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We were at full strength against the Czech c team, most teams at the Euros will be hit with reduced squads too. 

I know, but some teams will be hit harder than others. Actually, it might level the playing field a little. But whoever went on to win the tournament wouldn't be able to enjoy it quite as much, because they will always wonder if they would have won otherwise. Big players make a difference, not just to the quality, but also the confidence. Sweden, for example, will be a completely different beast having Ibrahimovic in their team. I remember years ago Sutton said something along the lines of "When you look to your left and see you have Larsson by your side, you feel like you can beat anyone, even if he had a poor game". I feel the same about having Tierney at the moment.