European Super League - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Fucking Spurs and Arsenal? 

That's like the Avengers assembling with Iron Man, Hulk, Thor then supplemented with Bananaman  and Inspector Gadget

Also seen the one likening Spurs joining the super league to someone walking into the Crucible and putting 50p on the table...

4 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Wasnt there a precedent set some time back with some chaps going to play football in south america .... flat caps and angora jumpers era ?

being banned from fa/sfa 

Peter Lorimer amongst others was also banned by the SFA after going to play in South Africa. 

15 hours ago, kumnio said:

Colombia in the 1950s apparently. 

Best centre half Stoke ever had allegedly fell for that - all the old bastards rave about him:

Tom Finney also selected Neil Franklin for his Dream Team:

(Neil Franklin was) the best centre-half I ever played with or against. Just before the 1950 World Cup, he went off to play in Colombia, thinking he was going to make a bit of money, but it didn't work out. When he came back, the FA were furious and clubs wouldn't touch him. He was still good enough to play for England, though. It was very sad.

Real Madrid president says something has to be done as young people are now not as interested in the game. I know they have come up with reasons for this greed is good idea but that's an interesting comment. Are youngsters turning their backs on football? 

Edited by Och Aye

45 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Real Madrid president says something has to be done as young people are now not as interested in the game. I know they have come up with reasons for this greed is good idea but that's an interesting comment. Are youngsters turning their backs on football? 

If it is true can't see how it would help.  My old man took me to Stoke at 6 and caught the buzz due to the crowd more than anything plus most of the kids in my class either supported Stoke or Vale with it predominantly being the w@nks who supported Liverpool or Man U. The bloke on the turnstile used to let me dip under to save my dad a quid or something daft 35 years ago.  

Now it costs a small fortune to take kids and it's easy just to plump for a team on the tele that wins every week.  My wee lass is into her football and might take her to a Scotland/ Scotland Women game but can't see me taking her to watch Dundee Untied because the SPL is absolutely pointless for the diddy teams and that's pretty sad really.  Real Madrid playing Chelsea in a full stadium in Mumbai or Miami isn't going to change that either but will probably just compound it.     

9 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

If it is true can't see how it would help.  My old man took me to Stoke at 6 and caught the buzz due to the crowd more than anything plus most of the kids in my class either supported Stoke or Vale with it predominantly being the w@nks who supported Liverpool or Man U. The bloke on the turnstile used to let me dip under to save my dad a quid or something daft 35 years ago.  

Now it costs a small fortune to take kids and it's easy just to plump for a team on the tele that wins every week.  My wee lass is into her football and might take her to a Scotland/ Scotland Women game but can't see me taking her to watch Dundee Untied because the SPL is absolutely pointless for the diddy teams and that's pretty sad really.  Real Madrid playing Chelsea in a full stadium in Mumbai or Miami isn't going to change that either but will probably just compound it.     

And I think he is using that as an argument/excuse. If kids aren't attending games now they won't attend as adults. We all fall in love with the game as kids, hero worship we had for pretty average players. As you mention prices are ridiculous, we all used to get a lift over the turnstiles. Clubs like mine, Motherwell, should be letting under 16's in free so they catch the bug. 

4 hours ago, Och Aye said:

And I think he is using that as an argument/excuse. If kids aren't attending games now they won't attend as adults. We all fall in love with the game as kids, hero worship we had for pretty average players. As you mention prices are ridiculous, we all used to get a lift over the turnstiles. Clubs like mine, Motherwell, should be letting under 16's in free so they catch the bug. 

Agreed. It’s all about them wanting to go when young. My loons season ticket was £36 until he was 12 and is now into 3 figures, but low ones. I don’t mind paying that for him now as the low cost was good when his attention span wasn’t quite there or it was too wild a day/night for his ma to let him out, she didn’t seem to give a fuck if I came home with the cold actually, now that I think about it, gonna need words with her 😂😂

Fans, pundits and politicians are all being played like a fiddle. This whole thing has been scenario planned by the investors behind the scene. The next series of announcements will be about how the clubs have listened to the fans - I can even hear the pundits and reporters starting to say the lines that the clubs’ communications departments want them to say.

After the so/called "extraordinary" climb-down will come a compromise and the seeding system in the champions league will rig the competition even more than it currently does.

This is about servicing investors’ debt and bailing out Real Madrid in particular. We mere fans* would do well to remember that a lot of these super clubs are coming from a position of insecurity. Call their bluff, don’t appease them even more. 

*= chances are if you are reading this that you have broadly the same idea of what a fan is as I do. However, most clubs just see them as consumers. Most “fans” of, say, Manchester United using that definition have never even set foot in England, far less Old Trafford. This is about extending marketing reach to the growth markets in the east. When people said years ago that clubs would pay fans to attend matches, we thought they were mad...

1 hour ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

Fans, pundits and politicians are all being played like a fiddle. This whole thing has been scenario planned by the investors behind the scene. The next series of announcements will be about how the clubs have listened to the fans - I can even hear the pundits and reporters starting to say the lines that the clubs’ communications departments want them to say.

After the so/called "extraordinary" climb-down will come a compromise and the seeding system in the champions league will rig the competition even more than it currently does.

This is about servicing investors’ debt and bailing out Real Madrid in particular. We mere fans* would do well to remember that a lot of these super clubs are coming from a position of insecurity. Call their bluff, don’t appease them even more. 

*= chances are if you are reading this that you have broadly the same idea of what a fan is as I do. However, most clubs just see them as consumers. Most “fans” of, say, Manchester United using that definition have never even set foot in England, far less Old Trafford. This is about extending marketing reach to the growth markets in the east. When people said years ago that clubs would pay fans to attend matches, we thought they were mad...

It's already happening on sky 🤣🤣🤣

Graeme Souness on sky talking sense. He believes punishing the clubs involved is wrong, I agree. It's not their fault, it's the greedy fuckin owners and investors who should be punished. This has been in the works for a good while. They only care about £££££££££. The loyal fan, or fans mean nothing to these greedy billionaire parasites..