European Super League - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

1 point that I feel is being overlooked is that everybody is saying the fans are against. The vast majority of these clubs fans will be in favour.

Its the domestic fans that are against it however most of these clubs fans are based abroad. Man Utd fans in China for example only ever watch them on TV. They would rather watch the glamour games as they have no allegience to the foundations of the game. If they travel to England for a one off game they would rather watch Utd vs Real Madrid than Utd vs Burnley.

Commerically this league makes sence, at least in the short term.

In every other sence it should be banned by whatever means possible.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note. How would people feel about a european league setup. Where theres a pyrimad right from the top to the bottom.

Ie there might be 10 divisions of 20 teams. Aberdeen might be in division 7 and play against Dundee Utd, Molde, Swansea etc.

That way the big teams get their wish but there is still sporting integrety. Teams like Ajax, Porto and the Old Firm could then truly aspire to get to the top table and it might make smaller teams with wealthy owners such as Chelsea less viable.

This, or something like this, was inevitable. Once the owners of English clubs began selling their clubs to Oil tycoons and Middle Eastern Princes and Shieks and Roya lFamilies, was the moment that English football sold its soul. And as much as we are the rivals of English and all things English, we must admit that English football has always been the hub of football.

The fans of Emglish clubs were like pigs in muck when foreign owners bought their clubs. Owners who spent billions on squads and billions on super stadia. 

They sat on a perch, looking down on everyone, while eating their prawn sandwiches. Sitting smugly, thinking that their dream would never end... yeah, well, that dream has now turned into a nightmare.

The former owners of the English clubs should only have sold to people who were emotionally invested. Their fans should have all come together as one to condemn all these oversees owners. Even the UK Government should've intervened. 

English football let the wolves in to door. Now there's a very real possibility that they will tear the fabric of football to ribbons.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

This, or something like this, was inevitable. Once the owners of English clubs began selling their clubs to Oil tycoons and Middle Eastern Princes and Shieks and Roya lFamilies, was the moment that English football sold its soul. And as much as we are the rivals of English and all things English, we must admit that English football has always been the hub of football.

The fans of Emglish clubs were like pigs in muck when foreign owners bought their clubs. Owners who spent billions on squads and billions on super stadia. 

They sat on a perch, looking down on everyone, while eating their prawn sandwiches. Sitting smugly, thinking that their dream would never end... yeah, well, that dream has now turned into a nightmare.

The former owners of the English clubs should only have sold to people who were emotionally invested. Their fans should have all come together as one to condemn all these oversees owners. Even the UK Government should've intervened. 

English football let the wolves in to door. Now there's a very real possibility that they will tear the fabric of football to ribbons.

Is quite ironic that teams like chelsea and man city were so utterly pish through the 80s but yet so many loyal fans came out of the woodwork during the good times ; at least city always appeared to have a healthy base - but recall watching chelsea play to an empty cavernous old stamford bridge when in div 2

where were you when you were shit ?

in saying that , it also reminds me of a couple bigger clubs closer to home...

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

This is how I see the champions league already. Ots the same dozen or so super clubs dominating it with the odd token club reaching the latter stages.

I recall a game years back was man utd v feyenoord i think ; was league format ; 2-1 to man utd at home - recall thinking if that was still home & away format would be decent result for feyenoord - but revised format was 3 pts end of story

think similar celtic away to juventus lost 3-2 , came away with nothing ( or my memory may be going )

5 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Is quite ironic that teams like chelsea and man city were so utterly pish through the 80s but yet so many loyal fans came out of the woodwork during the good times ; at least city always appeared to have a healthy base - but recall watching chelsea play to an empty cavernous old stamford bridge when in div 2

Yeah. Exactly.

Growing up, City bounced between the Second Division and EPL. Chelsea had Ken Bates and were at the genesis of bringing in the likes of Zola, Gullit, etc.

Personally, I don't look at either of those two as big clubs. Certainly not as big as Liverpool, Arsenal or Manchester United. 

Yep. Sure does.

22 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Hopefully the Old Squirm will get an invite. 

French and German FA's rejecting it apparently. 

They'd be off like a shot if they did.  It'd appeal to a certain section of their fans too; the type who have little interest in anything else - in football and in life in general -  apart from their team beating the other one.

26 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

That's why I have a hard time accepting that Chelsea and Man City are massive clubs.  When I first became interested in football Chelsea were a second division team playing in a ramshackle stadium.  Then they got promoted and were an average to middling team playing in a ramshackle stadium, before the oligarchs came along with their squillions.

Man City, to be fair, always had a loyal following but they were playing in the third tier of English football not that long ago!  It makes me laugh when I see people these days glory-supporting Chelsea and Man City.

15 minutes ago, scotlad said:

They'd be off like a shot if they did.  It'd appeal to a certain section of their fans too; the type who have little interest in anything else - in football and in life in general -  apart from their team beating the other one.

Suggestions that PSG and bayern of der munchen were 2 of the other founding clubs - supposed to be 15 ?

I cannot see this happening. If it does those clubs need to think of the consequences and possible sanctions they'll face. I mean what those clubs could very well face is:-

Expulsion from their domestic leagues.

Players banned from playing international football.

That being the case they are risking cutting off the transfer market that they have so ravenously fed off in the past. I mean how many players will want to sign for them if it rules out representing their countries in Euros and World Cups? I am certain you will get many players thinking twice about joining them whereas in the here and now they can lure any player they want. Playing the same teams every season too will become stale and with no relegation about half of the season will involve matches with teams with nothing whatsoever to play for. It has the perfect recipe to turn stale very quickly indeed.

As has been tapped into before football has been going down this road since the forming of the Premier League with it all being money-driven. The big clubs have now been sold to Sheikhs and US business men billionaires who cannot understand the concept of club football and how it was formed by local communities with local fan bases. That is totally lost on them - how the clubs started? Why the clubs were started? What the fans want? What the players want? It is totally alien to these club owners.

As I said I cannot see it happening and is more about these clubs wanting more control over the Champions League than UEFA will give them. I think they will climb down and reach a compromise for UEFA. If not the ramifications for club football across the world is enormous.

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Wild card 15th team ; Ajax / Porto ...

Bayern, PSG and Dortmund the other three teams. 

The leagues should deduct all 12 teams points, and screw them over as much as possible, nothing but money grabbing bastards. 

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

That would be superb. 

I am sure if they press ahead with this European Super League they will be hit with the severest sanctions such as banned from domestic leagues, players banned from international football and perhaps and probably banned from dealing in the transfer market in the conventional manner.

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

That would be superb. 

It would be great.... and I really hope it happens . But, uefa and fifa need to be absolutely watertight legally otherwise these financil heavyweights will see ‘em in court..... and that’s years of litigation with massive financial penalties to uefa and fifa if any ruling goes against them.

27 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Bayern, PSG and Dortmund the other three teams. 

The leagues should deduct all 12 teams points, and screw them over as much as possible, nothing but money grabbing bastards. 

Thanks ; i missed that last night

i tuned into that motd 2 highlights - danny murphy and dion dublin - no idea who host was .... murphy especially came over very well i thought - as dont recall seeing him before

also the sky interview with neville ;

cant recall which one micah richards was on ; but assume hes just been stuck in to fit the modern optics ....

lot of speak on the “pyramid system” but really thats only been in play past couple of decades

folks of the frank bough / dickie davies era will recall seeing the same teams on final score for years ; southend / workington etc seeking ( and getting re election every season )

only occasionally be a new team in ; think until gm vauxhall conference was  factored in ; 90 s ?

7 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Wasnt there a precedent set some time back with some chaps going to play football in south america .... flat caps and angora jumpers era ?

being banned from fa/sfa 

Colombia in the 1950s apparently. 

Slightly ot , on the bbc website the article from Murphy “I’m disappointed and disgusted “ with the accompanying photo of Scotland captain Andy Robertson and Paul Pogba will no doubt be dismissed as coincidental. Though we know that’s not how the hunts at deviant central work . They can’t fucking help themselves. They daren’t even discuss the actual owners of these half a dozen English clubs that are the driving force behind this circus affecting World football. 
EUROs ? What EUROs ?  ☹️

25 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Slightly ot , on the bbc website the article from Murphy “I’m disappointed and disgusted “ with the accompanying photo of Scotland captain Andy Robertson and Paul Pogba will no doubt be dismissed as coincidental. Though we know that’s not how the hunts at deviant central work . They can’t fucking help themselves. They daren’t even discuss the actual owners of these half a dozen English clubs that are the driving force behind this circus affecting World football. 
EUROs ? What EUROs ?  ☹️

Fairly typical, couldn't have Kane and Henderson could they? Same as Line of Duty why's every Scot a crook?