European Super League - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Roger that

i knew/played with a guy years back that was into the game , but never really nailed his colours to the mast in any way -not even nationally - i found that a lot in england too - although i think its a fairly modern thing (2000s?) for kids to have leanings towards Barcelona etc ...

I suppose so, there's a lot of glory hunters.

Way back In 96 I attended Hamilton matches. I remember Paul Hartley coming through the ranks.

I've always danced to the beat of own drum, so it's definitely a me thing.

1 minute ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just thinking how boring it would be to watch the same dozen or so elite euro teams play themselves over and over again to win a title with little meaning (as yet) - even a div 2 would only mix it up a little bit (and probably defeat point of closed shop)

Yeah. A lot of fans have that consensus. 

It's a brainchild of foreign (mainly US) owners that just want to squeeze out every single penny, irrespective of what the fans want.

This actually could lead to umpteen AFC Wimbledons in the future.

6 hours ago, Ramtastic said:

Obviously this is an idea driven by nothing more than pure greed and to hell with the fan in the street, but in all honesty, I'd have mixed emotions if this goes ahead.  One half of me is saying what the vast majority of people are saying - it being the death of football etc, but the other half is of the mind that that already happened a while ago and this is sweet poetic justice for the way the EPL, Uefa et do all they can to squeeze every last penny out of the game and keep the same teams at the top at all costs. 

They revamp the 'Champions' League so they can milk as many big games as possible, and as soon as those very clubs say that they'll just organise those matches themselves, Uefa are running to the media screaming "Greedy bassas!"

TL;DR:  Greedy chairmen strike again but GIRFUY Uefa 👍

Agree with that. 
the clubs include 8 of the ten richest in the world . Only missing PSG and of course Bayern Munich. 
People should focus on the owners of the 6 clubs from England that are in that top ten. Some of them owners have been using their cash cows to pocket tens of millions for years and some are rich enough to spunk millions for the prestige/brand and in the knowledge there will be a financial payback eventually. 
I am enjoying the handwringing on motd 2 from those who have had no problem with the global branding that brought such wealth to the ‘Premier League’ in England . With their relegated teams coining in more than most other league champions  thanks to TV dosh.

As for UEFA and FIFA ? You’d need  Unionists level of disconnect to claim they’re not a Tory Government* scale of self serving corrupt wrong uns . 

*still exponentially more than the SNP 

if this gets me another ban . Meh

18 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I suppose so, there's a lot of glory hunters.

Way back In 96 I attended Hamilton matches. I remember Paul Hartley coming through the ranks.

I've always danced to the beat of own drum, so it's definitely a me thing.

so Hamilton have always struggled for fans i believe ? OF being a big draw - same for M'well etc ; i recall when dons played them back in mid/late 80s under Porterfield was always small crowds ; was winger called Paul McDonald who was supposed to be the next big thing , but kind of fell off the radar

17 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

so Hamilton have always struggled for fans i believe ? OF being a big draw - same for M'well etc ; i recall when dons played them back in mid/late 80s under Porterfield was always small crowds ; was winger called Paul McDonald who was supposed to be the next big thing , but kind of fell off the radar

Yeah. Pretty much the Old Firm have hovered up most fans in Scotland. Always has been the way.

80's? Yikes! Too rich for my blood! I was still in a stroller at that point. ;)

Earliest manager I remember was Iain Munroe.

If it does happen, it has the potential to be a spectacular failure. They may be left with only the most mercenary of players willing to play in the league ( and forego all other competition). Similar to the China league but on a much bigger scale.

I would be absolutely delighted for these clubs to all be removed from European competition. The football world would be far more interesting if they didn't exist.

I guess what I'm saying is that I hate the idea of this closed door league for the rich, but any significant change has the potential to improve things from the inexorable decline of European football over the last 30 years as a competitive sport.

Anyone else see Chelsea v Man City at the weekend? If that's a foretaste of what is to come any super league won't last long because viewers will be bored to death.

and as for Spurs and Arsenal thinking they're big European clubs, that's laughable, neither side will finish in the top six in their own domestic league!

6 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just thinking how boring it would be to watch the same dozen or so elite euro teams play themselves over and over again to win a title with little meaning (as yet) - even a div 2 would only mix it up a little bit (and probably defeat point of closed shop)

This is how I see the champions league already. Ots the same dozen or so super clubs dominating it with the odd token club reaching the latter stages.

The hypocrisy spewing from neville is laughable, this morning the cheeky chappy mccoist is at it too. 

Both have been involved in clubs who have played a huge part in destroying competition but now they've found their sporting integrity. 🤣

There were something like 6 places up for grabs in the CL outwith the big five nations. That's not competition, that's making sure the bulk of the money stays within 5 leagues, ensuring certain super clubs can attract the best whilst everyone else feeds off scraps. It's a money making machine, not a sporting competition.

This super league is just the next stage in these clubs consolidating power whilst telling everyone else this is good for football. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

The hypocrisy spewing from neville is laughable, this morning the cheeky chappy mccoist is at it too. 

Both have been involved in clubs who have played a huge part in destroying competition but now they've found their sporting integrity. 🤣

There were something like 6 places up for grabs in the CL outwith the big five nations. That's not competition, that's making sure the bulk of the money stays within 5 leagues, ensuring certain super clubs can attract the best whilst everyone else feeds off scraps. It's a money making machine, not a sporting competition.

This super league is just the next stage in these clubs consolidating power whilst telling everyone else this is good for football. 

If they want to go, then let them F**k off.  I never watch anything out with Scottish Football so wouldn't bother me.

3 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

If they want to go, then let them F**k off.  I never watch anything out with Rangers and Celtic so wouldn't bother me.

Fixed that for you RH

I don't watch the CL, it's a snooze fest but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the wider implications of this league and the CL.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Fixed that for you RH

I don't watch the CL, it's a snooze fest but that doesn't mean we can't discuss the wider implications of this league and the CL.

Aye you are right actually VA.  Never been a great watcher of football tbh unless I had an interest in it.  Started putting a coupon on again to relieve the boredom so might watch a game I have a bet on.  Did that a few weeks ago when waiting on Liverpool and they won.  I have friends at work who will watch any game that is on telly.  But, no, never really been a good watcher.  Heading back to my home town in near future (Rolling Hills no more) and will go and watch and help out hopefully with my old Junior club Armadale Thistle.

It's all brinkmanship anyway. UEFA will give the big clubs more direct say in the running of the Champions League and more money from it and the changes due to be voted on today will end up going through anyway and that's the end of the super league. Until the next time the big clubs want more money of course.

All this talk of kicking them out their domestic leagues and banning players from international football is purely posturing as part of the negotiation.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Anyone else see Chelsea v Man City at the weekend? If that's a foretaste of what is to come any super league won't last long because viewers will be bored to death.

and as for Spurs and Arsenal thinking they're big European clubs, that's laughable, neither side will finish in the top six in their own domestic league!

As a lifelong Spurs fan I couldn’t agree more. I hope they get kicked out of the premier league. I’ll stick to watching Southend. It’s a disgusting state affairs and all about greed. I’ve yet to speak to any fans who think this a good thing. I’ve a feeling they will come unstuck in a big way. Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa have more right to be there than Spurs

21 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Mourinho apparently refused to let the Spurs players train this morning in protest at the clubs plans for the breakaway league and has been subsequently sacked!

Think it’s because he threatened to sign Fellaini

Edited by ParisInAKilt

18 hours ago, Ramtastic said:

Obviously this is an idea driven by nothing more than pure greed and to hell with the fan in the street, but in all honesty, I'd have mixed emotions if this goes ahead.  One half of me is saying what the vast majority of people are saying - it being the death of football etc, but the other half is of the mind that that already happened a while ago and this is sweet poetic justice for the way the EPL, Uefa et do all they can to squeeze every last penny out of the game and keep the same teams at the top at all costs. 

They revamp the 'Champions' League so they can milk as many big games as possible, and as soon as those very clubs say that they'll just organise those matches themselves, Uefa are running to the media screaming "Greedy bassas!"

TL;DR:  Greedy chairmen strike again but GIRFUY Uefa 👍

Totally agree. Gary Neville was waxing eloquently against yesterday.

53 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Mourinho apparently refused to let the Spurs players train this morning in protest at the clubs plans for the breakaway league and has been subsequently sacked!

Or a clever exit strategy by pretending to take the moral high ground. 

12 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

He's head of youth at Killie. 

Watching Dion Dublin and Danny Murphy on MOTD2 and they seem to think players won’t be for this, not sure about that, they’ll follow the money if given a choice. The irony being the bbc, sky etc would show the new league as well if they could afford to as well. 

Guys in football all their adult life suddenly surprised that multi billionaires care more about money rather than the traditions of European football.