European Super League - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Super League

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure it'll happen. Can't see players giving up on international football. Money may change their minds tho. 

Quite when the European Super League would start is unclear.

However, world governing body Fifa has already said it would not recognise such a competition and any players involved in it would be denied the chance to play at a World Cup.

Serie A have called an emergency board meeting to discuss the matter

Obviously this is an idea driven by nothing more than pure greed and to hell with the fan in the street, but in all honesty, I'd have mixed emotions if this goes ahead.  One half of me is saying what the vast majority of people are saying - it being the death of football etc, but the other half is of the mind that that already happened a while ago and this is sweet poetic justice for the way the EPL, Uefa et do all they can to squeeze every last penny out of the game and keep the same teams at the top at all costs. 

They revamp the 'Champions' League so they can milk as many big games as possible, and as soon as those very clubs say that they'll just organise those matches themselves, Uefa are running to the media screaming "Greedy bassas!"

TL;DR:  Greedy chairmen strike again but GIRFUY Uefa 👍

48 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

If this caused the collapse of English football and all the money, I would need a helluva lot of popcorn for the fallout. 

It would be fucking tremendous to see the money disappear and the clubs to fall on their arses 😊

fifa and the epl can fuck off, theyve been shagging the game for years and now they find their morals🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

In case anyone is confused by the previous comment. Gary Neville is AGAINST the idea.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/european-super-league-plans-ex-man-utd-star-gary-neville-calls-for-points-deduction-for-clubs-12279693

He's disgusted at Manchester United. Wow. Those are tough words from a United legend.

Gary Neville is the man that was paying footballers thousands and thousands of pounds to get a nothing team out of non league football, blowing every other team in non league football out of the water when trying to compete with finances, so as I said, Gary Neville can go fuck himself, hypocritical cunt, made all the worse by the fact his “tough words” had Sky Sports bang in the middle of the screen on his microphone.

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Gary Neville is the man that was paying footballers thousands and thousands of pounds to get a nothing team out of non league football, blowing every other team in non league football out of the water when trying to compete with finances, so as I said, Gary Neville can go fuck himself, hypocritical cunt, made all the worse by the fact his “tough words” had Sky Sports bang in the middle of the screen on his microphone.

He wasn't trying to obliterate the entire structure of English football. He was merely a benefactor, much in the way that Jack Walker was at Blackburn. No rules against that 

If you're going to aim your daggers at him, fine, go for the Old Firm. Go for Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, etc.

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He wasn't trying to obliterate the entire structure of English football. He was merely a benefactor, much in the way that Jack Walker was at Blackburn. No rules against that 

If you're going to aim your daggers at him, fine, go for the Old Firm. Go for Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, etc.

He was doing exactly the same, albeit at a lower level than the sheiks etc are doing in the PL, but that doesn’t seem to matter to some people because the lower leagues don’t matter anyway. He’s happy to accept sky sports money, happy to pump millions into a smaller club to fire them through the leagues,  it when the real big guns want to call the shots, he’s all of a sudden Mr Admirable. 

Maybe he realises that this happening will affect his job severely, because let’s face it, the bubble will well and truly burst down there if those 6 teams leave and people will lose millions and millions of pounds, including himself, I for one think it will be fucking hilarious to see. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

He was doing exactly the same, albeit at a lower level than the sheiks etc are doing in the PL, but that doesn’t seem to matter to some people because the lower leagues don’t matter anyway. He’s happy to accept sky sports money, happy to pump millions into a smaller club to fire them through the leagues,  it when the real big guns want to call the shots, he’s all of a sudden Mr Admirable. 

Maybe he realises that this happening will affect his job severely, because let’s face it, the bubble will well and truly burst down there if those 6 teams leave and people will lose millions and millions of pounds, including himself, I for one think it will be fucking hilarious to see. 

I don't mind Gary Neville. As long as he's keeping within FFP rules then he can do what he wants. He should've just tried to club together with his class of 92 mates and tried to buy United.

The European Super League will never happen anyway. It'll only happen if the majority of clubs want it to, and as I understand it, the ECA, a group representing over 200 clubs won't support it.

This was always going to happen at such stage. Most of the owners of EPL clubs are foreign, most don't like football and the traditions involved. The fans won't put up with it, but Covid has proven that super rich clubs don't even need the money from the fans.

All in all, it's interesting viewing. lol.

6 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

I took this with a pinch of salt at first...

But now a lot to EPL fans are denouncing their team and refusing to renew season tickets, etc.

This might spell the end of football as we know it.

18 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I took this with a pinch of salt at first...

But now a lot to EPL fans are denouncing their team and refusing to renew season tickets, etc.

This might spell the end of football as we know it.

yes, or revert to the more 'rustic' version pre champs lge/premier lge monyeball that some of us could relate to

1 minute ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

yes, or revert to the more 'rustic' version pre champs lge/premier lge monyeball that some of us could relate to

I don't know.

Some people have suggested like rugby, with different codes.

Personally, I don't have a club... so I feel for the people that do as this is going to be civil war.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

I don't know.

Some people have suggested like rugby, with different codes.

Personally, I don't have a club... so I feel for the people that do as this is going to be civil war.

like union and league ? - but thats 2 quite different sets of rules  ; i get the analogy though about working mans game yorks/lancs - lge , and public schools union ....

no club ? in the new ESL ; or generally speaking ?

Just now, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

like union and league ? - but thats 2 quite different sets of rules  ; i get the analogy though about working mans game yorks/lancs - lge , and public schools union ....

no club ? in the new ESL ; or generally speaking ?

Exactly.

Generally speaking. I attended my local club growing up, but I never felt attached.

I support Scotland. That's it.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Exactly.

Generally speaking. I attended my local club growing up, but I never felt attached.

I support Scotland. That's it.

Roger that

i knew/played with a guy years back that was into the game , but never really nailed his colours to the mast in any way -not even nationally - i found that a lot in england too - although i think its a fairly modern thing (2000s?) for kids to have leanings towards Barcelona etc ...