Euro 2020: Injury list - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2020: Injury list

Taylor1996

20 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

With McLean n Jack both out there probably has never been a better chance for Shinnie to make the squad.

True Shinnie is a solid player & if its at the expense of Greg Taylor then I'd be ok with him being included. He can then cover holding Midfield & if disaster struck third choice left back.

I just don't want Shinnie in at the expense of one of our talented young midfielders. After Gilmour if we really need to select another naturally deep lying Midfielder I'd be tempted to take Alan Campbell, i think he is already good enough to play at Shinnie's mid English championship level. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’re wishing an injury on a player that has never let us down (in terms of turning up anyway) so that an uncapped player that won’t feature again for Rangers this season (and likely wouldn’t play at the euros anyway) can take his place in a tournament he helped us get to?  

Poor show indeed. 

Yes I want Patterson in ahead of Palmer. So does virtually everyone.

The injury is tongue in cheek we all want him selected ahead of him as he’s vastly superior.

Palmer also did zero to get us to the Euros. 

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed. 

As for McLean i really feel for him. 

Was the coolest man in Belgrade. 

Aye it’s a shame. 

I doubt he’d have featured much at the finals but he always tends to turn up and play his part from the bench.

Every player that scored a penalty (or saved one) earned a place in the squad if fit and playing so will be sad for him to miss out. Possibly McLean’s last chance of making a tournament as well unless we manage to qualify for the World Cup next year. 

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The injury is tongue in cheek we all want him selected ahead of him as he’s vastly superior.

He had an assist against the Czech Republic IIRC. 

I can’t see how Clarke can leave Gilmour out now, there’s just no logic to that now with the injuries. It would seem like he was just being stubborn, in a Levein-esque ‘I know better than everyone else’ kind of way. I hope he’s not like that.

I’m sure the English would prefer to see Gilmour on the bench, or not in the squad at all considering how their pundits have raved about him.

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Neither would play much at the finals so it probably doesn’t really matter which one was selected but I don’t think someone that won’t have played for several weeks prior to the tournament would be a great choice. Patterson is a great prospect but that’s all he is at the moment. I’m not convinced that Patterson is “vastly superior” at this stage in his career. Did you see him ridiculously give the ball away a couple of old firm games ago which Celtic should’ve scored from? The boy has a long way to go.

Fair point about Palmer not doing anything to get us there as he didn’t feature in the playoffs but at least he has experience of international football if he is called upon next month. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Neither would play much at the finals so it probably doesn’t really matter which one was selected but I don’t think someone that won’t have played for several weeks prior to the tournament would be a great choice. Patterson is a great prospect but that’s all he is at the moment. I’m not convinced that Patterson is “vastly superior” at this stage in his career. Did you see him ridiculously give the ball away a couple of old firm games ago which Celtic should’ve scored from? The boy has a long way to go.

Fair point about Palmer not doing anything to get us there as he didn’t feature in the playoffs but at least he has experience of international football if he is called upon next month. 

I guess by the same thinking as above we should take Graeme Shinnie to the Euros ahead of Billy Gilmour? 

3 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

I can’t see how Clarke can leave Gilmour out now, there’s just no logic to that now with the injuries. It would seem like he was just being stubborn, in a Levein-esque ‘I know better than everyone else’ kind of way. I hope he’s not like that.

I’m sure the English would prefer to see Gilmour on the bench, or not in the squad at all considering how their pundits have raved about him.

If Gilmour keeps his place in the Chelsea team for their final 3 league games and plays any sort of part in the Champions League and FA cup finals then there’s no way Clarke will leave him out surely? 

If he drops back to the bench or even back to the under 23s the Clarke will have a decision to make. 

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

This is poor. 

Its not that i wish the guy gets injured, i wouldn’t wish that on any player i just want as strong a squad as possible.

I actually think Palmer is a better defensive player than SOD but SOD is better going forward & holds the shirt from previous relatively solid performances. 

Reality is neither of them are ideal & dare i say it England could probably choose 20 right backs better than either of them that's why when you have a player with as much potential as Nathan Patterson i think he should be fast tracked into the squad & tested in the pre tournament friendlies. Though only if he was outstanding in those friendlies would i choose him start against the Czechs ahead of SOD. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

I guess by the same thinking as above we should take Graeme Shinnie to the Euros ahead of Billy Gilmour? 

Not really as Shinnie is pish. There is a realistic chance of Gilmour not going to the Euros if he doesn’t keep his place in the Chelsea team. Palmer will be in the squad if fit. Patterson will not (barring an injury crisis).

The other thing to consider is we will probably not be playing with full backs next month. Would you throw Patterson on as a wing back when he has never played there before? 

40 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I'm pretty sure Palmer had an assist or maybe two, his crossing seemed superior to SOD's.  I need to go look this up to check my memory is correct.   I looked it up, your comment is technically correct, he got an assist in this years Nations League -no bearing on the EURO qualification. 

Edited by romanticscot

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Not really as Shinnie is pish. There is a realistic chance of Gilmour not going to the Euros if he doesn’t keep his place in the Chelsea team. Palmer will be in the squad if fit. Patterson will not (barring an injury crisis).

The other thing to consider is we will probably not be playing with full backs next month. Would you throw Patterson on as a wing back when he has never played there before? 

I would play Patterson at wing back all day long. He has played right midfield for the u21s and I don’t think it would cause him any trouble at all.  He is a great talent and a couple of years from now I expect him to be playing at the highest level. 

18 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I would play Patterson at wing back all day long. He has played right midfield for the u21s and I don’t think it would cause him any trouble at all.  He is a great talent and a couple of years from now I expect him to be playing at the highest level. 

Yeah a couple of years is exactly right. He’s probably not ready for the responsibility of playing at a major finals for Scotland yet. Whether he should be in the squad as back up is another argument I suppose but given his ban and Tavernier’s return he won’t have played much in the 2 months prior to the finals.

If he was established as Rangers number 1 RB then I would be all for him not only being in the squad but starting for Scotland. Unless Tavernier leaves Rangers in the summer or picks up another serious injury Patterson won’t get much of a look in at Ibrox next season.  

Yeah a couple of years is exactly right. He’s probably not ready for the responsibility of playing at a major finals for Scotland yet. Whether he should be in the squad as back up is another argument I suppose but given his ban and Tavernier’s return he won’t have played much in the 2 months prior to the finals.

If he was established as Rangers number 1 RB then I would be all for him not only being in the squad but starting for Scotland. Unless Tavernier leaves Rangers in the summer or picks up another serious injury Patterson won’t get much of a look in at Ibrox next season.  

I won’t be surprised if a big offer comes in for Patterson in the summer.

I would play him at the Euros, although I don’t think O’Donnell has done much wrong. I just don’t think without taking risks on certain players (e.g. Gilmour and Patterson) we’ll have enough to get out the group. Play it safe and we’ll drop out with dignity intact. Take a risk, who knows... could go either way. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

McLean offered more than McGregor I thought, regardless it’s a real shame to see someone miss out with injury. 

Unless of course your name is McBurnie.Then for most people on this forum it is great.Poor.

19 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Unless of course your name is McBurnie.Then for most people on this forum it is great.Poor.

He may be missing out for a completely different reason but yeah being happy someone is injured because you don’t like them is poor. 

56 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I won’t be surprised if a big offer comes in for Patterson in the summer.

I would play him at the Euros, although I don’t think O’Donnell has done much wrong. I just don’t think without taking risks on certain players (e.g. Gilmour and Patterson) we’ll have enough to get out the group. Play it safe and we’ll drop out with dignity intact. Take a risk, who knows... could go either way. 

I have seen every minute of Patterson playing for Rangers this season and while he is an exciting prospect he isn’t going to make the difference as to whether we get out the group or not. He makes as many mistakes as O’Donnell or Palmer. The hype appears to be very strong with this boy. 

Gilmour could go either way. If he is selected and plays next month he could set the tournament alight but I really can’t see Clarke playing him unless he does something crazy like runs the show in the CL final or something (I doubt he’ll start that match but here’s hoping). 

30 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I have seen every minute of Patterson playing for Rangers this season and while he is an exciting prospect he isn’t going to make the difference as to whether we get out the group or not. He makes as many mistakes as O’Donnell or Palmer. The hype appears to be very strong with this boy. 

Gilmour could go either way. If he is selected and plays next month he could set the tournament alight but I really can’t see Clarke playing him unless he does something crazy like runs the show in the CL final or something (I doubt he’ll start that match but here’s hoping). 

Yes, I’ve eeem every minute of Patterson, too. His improvement game to game has been amazing. He’s got the pace to cope with and trouble Barisic and he can go inside or out. That’s one improvement already. Anyway I’d take the gamble, you wouldn’t, fair enough. 

58 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Yes, I’ve eeem every minute of Patterson, too. His improvement game to game has been amazing. He’s got the pace to cope with and trouble Barisic and he can go inside or out. That’s one improvement already. Anyway I’d take the gamble, you wouldn’t, fair enough. 

I didn’t realise you were a Rangers supporter.

Doesn’t really matter what you or I would though anyway. What do you reckon Clarke will do?

The fact Clarke didn’t pick Patterson in March when he was actually playing for Rangers and doing well would suggest to me that he won’t pick him now he’s serving a ban and Tavernier is back. 

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t have an issue if Clarke selects him or even plays him. I just don’t think he would make the difference that some others do and I don’t think Clarke will pick him and if that’s the case everyone will need to get used to the idea of O’Donnell and Palmer being in the squad. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd have Patterson in over Palmer but given injuries and loss of experienced players from the squad in Jack, McLean and McBurnie I can see Clarke opting for the experience of Palmer especially if Gilmour, Turnbull and Gauld (all uncapped) make the squad.

I’m pretty sure Palmer would have been in ahead of Patterson even if they three guys you mentioned weren’t out. 

I’m not sure if Patterson has done anything (that he hadn’t already done) in the three games and 30 minute sub appearance he’s had since the last international break to change Clarke’s mind about selecting him. Maybe the increased squad size has though?

Is there room for both players in the squad given Palmer can play in a back 3 or even midfield and there’s now a 26 man squad?

I suppose we’ll find out in a couple of weeks. 

I didn’t realise you were a Rangers supporter.

Doesn’t really matter what you or I would though anyway. What do you reckon Clarke will do?

The fact Clarke didn’t pick Patterson in March when he was actually playing for Rangers and doing well would suggest to me that he won’t pick him now he’s serving a ban and Tavernier is back. 

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t have an issue if Clarke selects him or even plays him. I just don’t think he would make the difference that some others do and I don’t think Clarke will pick him and if that’s the case everyone will need to get used to the idea of O’Donnell and Palmer being in the squad. 

It’s the improvement in Patterson that swings it for me. He had a nervy half hour at Sparta Prague but then improved to the extent he bossed his second Old Firm game. I think it’s worth bearing in mind that tournaments often prove to be the making of young players who are on the verge of bursting onto the scene. If anything they are less leggy than the seasoned pros who’ve been slugging it out all season. 

I don’t know what Clarke will do, I guess he might make the squad. I’m certain Gilmour will. 

8 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh you've got to feel for Kenny, for me not a first choice but certainly worth his squad place.

Whatever his Scotland future is I'm sure he will always hold cult hero status for his bravery & quality pens. 

I think Bannan is done at this level & the mere thought of Paterson & Shinnie getting called up would have the blood boiling of quite a few (inc me) on here but they are the type of player Clarke seems to like so we better prepare ourselves for that shit scenerio. 

If instead he chooses Gilmour + Gauld or Turnbull then we will all be buzzing & looking forward to messiah Clarke giving us a memorable summer 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🤞

You're right, Clarke will be held in very high regard pre-tournament if he calld up the 3 names you mentioned. It's the one big question mark hanging over Clarke - his squad selections. Everything else I can get on board with.

I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised to see Patterson. He still has the 'lack of game time' argument against Gilmour as well. But there really is no excuse to not include Gauld or Turnbull. Especially since set piece delivery is an area we were severely lacking in during the last round of games.