Billy Gilmour - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Just think: next season we will have 9 players in the EPL:

Hanley, Cooper Tierney Robertson; McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn; Fraser and Adams. Wales got out the groups with mainly championship players.

Plus Armstrong and McLean

Edited by Hertsscot

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Hanley, Cooper Tierney Robertson; McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn; Fraser and Adams. Wales got out the groups with mainly championship players.

Not to worry then Denmark, only have 42 playing in top European leagues and not just the vastly overrated EPL.

Funny though how it would be quite easy to make a team with those 9 plus either Armstrong or McLean.

Then there's always Angus Gunn to make up the the eleven.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

All but one of those players were in the EPL last season (along with Armstrong). Didn’t do us much good in this tournament. 

11 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Aye would have preferred a mid-table team. Main thing for me is that he avoids injury again and can turn out for us on a regular basis

How do you know they won’t be a mid-table team? Leeds and Sheffield United have been promoted in recent seasons and have done well. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

How do you know they won’t be a mid-table team? Leeds and Sheffield United have been promoted in recent seasons and have done well. 

Do you have to argue every post? OK I'm guessing but how do you know that they will do well? Simply comparing them to other teams is not a constructive argument for assuming this will happen to Norwich.

I'm talking about an existing mid-table team from last season as promoted clubs very often struggle . Yes Norwich might do well next season and they might not. They struggled the whole last season they went up and have just sold one of their best players to Villa. Sheff Utd did well first season but then nosedived and is not as common as promoted teams struggling. That is the argument from the last 6 postings, are you going to argue the toss with all of them?

Norwich is a very good move for him. They don't play defensively. They play attacking football. Despite going down 2 years ago they won a lot of plaudits for their style and fearlessness. They had around on average 50% possession for the season. 

Falke is also a very good coach who gets the best out of his players. He somehow turned Hanley into a half decent CB and McLean is a far superior player since Falke came in.

He will play passing attacking football under a manager known for improving players. It's a good move.

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Norwich is a very good move for him. They don't play defensively. They play attacking football. Despite going down 2 years ago they won a lot of plaudits for their style and fearlessness. They had around on average 50% possession for the season.

To begin with as long as Pukki was scoring but after a while they became a bit more predictable and started losing regularly. Crowds coming back may make a difference and Falke is a good manager. Ultimately money talks in the EPL and having just sold Buendia which they didn't want to do the odds are it will be a tough season again. Gilmour will make a difference I'm sure.

1 hour ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Do you have to argue every post? OK I'm guessing but how do you know that they will do well? Simply comparing them to other teams is not a constructive argument for assuming this will happen to Norwich.

I'm talking about an existing mid-table team from last season as promoted clubs very often struggle . Yes Norwich might do well next season and they might not. They struggled the whole last season they went up and have just sold one of their best players to Villa. Sheff Utd did well first season but then nosedived and is not as common as promoted teams struggling. That is the argument from the last 6 postings, are you going to argue the toss with all of them?

It’s hardly an argument. Don’t worry mate I won’t bother with you any more. 

So fans would sooner he sat getting splinters at Chelsea? No way. 

Tuchel has shown how much he values him by allowing to go out on loan. That tells  me Tuchel would sooner play others before him leaving Billy to bench warm again.

And if you want him to move to another EPL club I would suggest that may not be possible. Tuchel will not want him playing for a team who will be title contenders and other clubs may not have expressed an interest. Or perhaps Gilmour prefers Norwich.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So fans would sooner he sat getting splinters at Chelsea? No way. 

Tuchel has shown how much he values him by allowing to go out on loan. That tells  me Tuchel would sooner play others before him leaving Billy to bench warm again.

And if you want him to move to another EPL club I would suggest that may not be possible. Tuchel will not want him playing for a team who will be title contenders and other clubs may not have expressed an interest. Or perhaps Gilmour prefers Norwich.

I don’t think it matters where he plays (within reason) as long as he is getting first team football.

Even Rangers wouldn’t be a bad idea as long as they qualify for the group stage of the Champions League. That experience could be invaluable. 

Norwich wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Many players have went on to achieve great things in the game after going on loan to teams that are never going to win the EPL. 

The ideal situation would be for Gilmour to stay with Chelsea and nail down a place in the starting 11 but, as you say, that looks unlikely if Tuchel is happy for him to go out on loan. 

Norwich is a decent enough move. In an ideal world a move abroad to a team playing in European competitions would've been perfect. Rangers would be a disaster. No-one of Gilmour's level benefits from playing on plastic pitches and at the level of most teams in Scotland, even in exchange for a handful of European games.

It's actually the norm - certainly in the EPL and pretty much a given with the bigger clubs - that young players go out on loan to get experience.   There are exceptions of course but they are unusual.

48 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Norwich is a decent enough move. In an ideal world a move abroad to a team playing in European competitions would've been perfect. Rangers would be a disaster. No-one of Gilmour's level benefits from playing on plastic pitches and at the level of most teams in Scotland, even in exchange for a handful of European games.

Plenty of players have been on loan (or actually signed) at Ibrox and Celtic Park and have developed their game and gone on to bigger and better things. Ask Virgil van Dijk what he thinks about his time at Celtic. I think there’s only one plastic pitch in the Premiership now.

I’m not saying it would have been an ideal move but I doubt it would have been a disaster. Won’t happen now anyway as his move to Norwich looks nailed on. He’ll be far better off there than warming the bench at Chelsea. 

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Plenty of players have been on loan (or actually signed) at Ibrox and Celtic Park and have developed their game and gone on to bigger and better things. Ask Virgil van Dijk what he thinks about his time at Celtic. I think there’s only one plastic pitch in the Premiership now.

I’m not saying it would have been an ideal move but I doubt it would have been a disaster. Won’t happen now anyway as his move to Norwich looks nailed on. He’ll be far better off there than warming the bench at Chelsea. 

Rangers play quite nice football these days. Wouldn't of been the worst of moves imo. Everyone needs to settle down a bit with the Gilmour hype, the lad has a lot of learning to do and a loan move to Norwich or even rangers could be great for his career. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Rangers play quite nice football these days. Wouldn't of been the worst of moves imo. Everyone needs to settle down a bit with the Gilmour hype, the lad has a lot of learning to do and a loan move to Norwich or even rangers could be great for his career. 

One key difference is that at Norwich he can focus on getting experience and improving with very little in the way of pressure or expectation.  If he were to go on loan to Rangers then the expectation and focus on him would be off the scale.   It’s also about gaining experience week in week out against better opposition.

Like others I was hoping he would move to an established EPL team. Somewhere like Southampton would have been ideal. 

The positives about Norwich are that he will get meaningful games under his belt, playing in a team who like to pass and have a good manager.

The negatives are that its likely Norwich will be at the lower end of the table so its harder for him to impress. Looking good for a lower end EPL team is unlikely to propell him into Chelsea's starting line up the following year however if he was a star for the likes of West Ham, Everton etc then he might.

49 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The management team of Gerrard and MacAlister were pretty good midfielders! Week by week he would be up against better opponents with Norwich but with Rangers  he would have more exposure to European football (I hope).

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Like others I was hoping he would move to an established EPL team. Somewhere like Southampton would have been ideal. 

The positives about Norwich are that he will get meaningful games under his belt, playing in a team who like to pass and have a good manager.

The negatives are that its likely Norwich will be at the lower end of the table so its harder for him to impress. Looking good for a lower end EPL team is unlikely to propell him into Chelsea's starting line up the following year however if he was a star for the likes of West Ham, Everton etc then he might.

I don’t think you’re giving the Chelsea coaches much credit there. They’ll know exactly how well he has or hasn’t done.