Billy Gilmour - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

Different style of play but I’m thinking of Burnley who went up under Dyche, got relegated the following season, took them up again the following year and they’ve stuck.

Good shout that is - the other thing would be too if they got Gilmour it would be a statement of intent to others that they're trying to convince to join them.  

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Exactly.

There one very good reason. That is that at least half (maybe more) of our squad don't have the basic skills and technique to be able to do that. 

I'm a hopeless optimist (aren't we all). I've been pinning my hopes on the performance schools to solve exactly this problem. Whilst the 10,000 hours thing has been widely debunked, there is no doubt spending significantly more time practicing a thing makes you better at that thing. That it took the administrators the best part of 20 years to work that out is baffling, but we are starting to see the green shoots now I think.

5 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Re :Gilmour

However ( ... please bear with me here) : the interesting thing for me is that he odes nothing out of the ordinary.
In simple terms he gets the ball and then makes a pass....

Rather he was doing the simple things well.  There is no reason the entire team cant play more like that?

I'm sure that used to be said of the great Liverpool teams. They did the simple things extraordinarily well. My take is that if you're a professional footballer in your mid20s your technique is unlikely to improve, what can improve is staying calm under pressure and footballing intelligence, though both have to be worked on.

Gilmour reminds me of Barry Ferguson, when the ball gets to him it sticks. Keeping possession is so, so important in international football.

9 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm sure that used to be said of the great Liverpool teams. They did the simple things extraordinarily well. My take is that if you're a professional footballer in your mid20s your technique is unlikely to improve, what can improve is staying calm under pressure and footballing intelligence, though both have to be worked on.

Gilmour reminds me of Barry Ferguson, when the ball gets to him it sticks. Keeping possession is so, so important in international football.

Keeping possession is football nowadays 

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Except Gilmour can pass it forwards. ☺️

5 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Re : Gilmour
He was brilliant against England. 

However ( ... please bear with me here) : the interesting thing for me is that he odes nothing out of the ordinary.
In simple terms he gets the ball and then makes a pass....
When we have possession Gilmour provides himself as easy option.
When we don't have possession he closes down quickly.
Almost like a link between defense and midfield which was missing in the other 2 games.

I think that's similar to what McTominay does at Man Utd these days.

Watch McTominay constantly moving towards team mates taking the ball , passing and repeat.

6 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I'm a hopeless optimist (aren't we all). I've been pinning my hopes on the performance schools to solve exactly this problem. Whilst the 10,000 hours thing has been widely debunked, there is no doubt spending significantly more time practicing a thing makes you better at that thing. That it took the administrators the best part of 20 years to work that out is baffling, but we are starting to see the green shoots now I think.

There's been decent attacking moves at various points in the three games.

I think if people are just expecting Scotland in next 5-10 years to become a 60-70% pass merchants they'll be disappointed as it's simply not in the DNA or indeed British fan culture.

Dosen't mean the team can't get better at it (easiest way to do that would be Gilmour to be automatic starter from now on and Turnbull to get some starts) but honestly the biggest thing lost in last 20 years has been resilience. Think back to the 90s, backs to the wall (despite having boderline world class midfielders available) but such a tough team to score against and opponents had to work hard for their goals.

Not so much now, the best defensive performance in last 18 months imo was Belgrade and that had a goal conceded with player unmarked in six yard box. Lucky at Wembley in first 15 minutes aswell with a similar instance.

People going on about Wales but they just spent the first 60 minutes of the Swiss game aimlessly booting the ball in vague direction of Kiefer Moore upfront and were completely outplayed. But they stuck in the game at 1-0 and got something.

Sweden had 20% possesion v Spain but they know how to grind out results and got the 0-0 in the end.

That's what's missing, can only hope with more experience the team can do better in 2024 if qualified.

29 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I think if people are just expecting Scotland in next 5-10 years to become a 60-70% pass merchants 

I assume that's poss % not pass %

We have a team full of players that can pass at club level,  yet we have one of the worst pass success rates at the Euro's no sure why. Actually I do know why, we had  game plan designed for a pub team.

Dykes, Marshall and O'donnell helped knock it down, but McGregor helped the other way and was one of the 20 best passers in the group stages.

Funny looking at our pass stats we could very easily pick a 12 man squad that would probably include who, nearly everyone sees, as our best 12 players (just need a keeper)

Should go back to the 1900's and have a selection committee not a manager.

I think gilmour will become our best player in a generation, and go on to play for a top European side which may be Chelsea. Barring major injury of course.

when did we last have three world class players, which in a year or two I suspect we will have in gilmour, Robertson and tierney.

Interesting article in The National on Gilmour. Gordon Strachan questioning whether he is a game changer at present. Strachan undoubtedly recognises that Gilmour is a top player but questions whether he can change games in that deep lying midfield position. I must admit the same thought had crossed my mind. Deep lying he does a superb job taking the ball from defence but he really caught my eye playing against Liverpool when he seemed to be playing a more advanced role. Interestingly Strachan feels a loan spell to an 'investor's team might help develop his game.

54 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Interesting article in The National on Gilmour. Gordon Strachan questioning whether he is a game changer at present. Strachan undoubtedly recognises that Gilmour is a top player but questions whether he can change games in that deep lying midfield position. I must admit the same thought had crossed my mind. Deep lying he does a superb job taking the ball from defence but he really caught my eye playing against Liverpool when he seemed to be playing a more advanced role. Interestingly Strachan feels a loan spell to an 'investor's team might help develop his game.

I’m thinking if Jack and McTominay (or Tierney) play in front of a back four it allows Gilmour to get a bit higher up the pitch as moves develop. That said Gauld could also add a bit of penetration, in terms of passing, in the final third. 

On 6/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I'm not massively optimistic on these performance schools ATM. I tend to ignore the u21 squads and look at the 19's/17's instead, as the schools should be up to speed on these ages, yet the national squads only have three or four of these lads in (and how many of those will go onto good clubs, one or two maybe)

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I'm not massively optimistic on these performance schools ATM. I tend to ignore the u21 squads and look at the 19's/17's instead, as the schools should be up to speed on these ages, yet the national squads only have three or four of these lads in (and how many of those will go onto good clubs, one or two maybe)

You could be right, just because a lot of young players are linked to big clubs doesn't mean any of them will make it. 

Big clubs seem to hoover up all potential players at a young age these days. 

Must be better nothing though, surely? 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m thinking if Jack and McTominay (or Tierney) play in front of a back four it allows Gilmour to get a bit higher up the pitch as moves develop. That said Gauld could also add a bit of penetration, in terms of passing, in the final third. 

I'd probably a go along with that. I hope that Gauld gets a decent move.  He might be a missing placed to the jigsaw. 

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You could be right, just because a lot of young players are linked to big clubs doesn't mean any of them will make it. 

Big clubs seem to hoover up all potential players at a young age these days. 

Must be better nothing though, surely? 

Does anyone know the number that go through each year group now? I know they drastically reduced it to concentrate on the 'best of the best'.

Still disappointing to see a tiny handful in the national setup, when we thought that was the main point of the exercise

On 6/24/2021 at 11:21 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

I assume that's poss % not pass %

We have a team full of players that can pass at club level,  yet we have one of the worst pass success rates at the Euro's no sure why. Actually I do know why, we had  game plan designed for a pub team.

Dykes, Marshall and O'donnell helped knock it down, but McGregor helped the other way and was one of the 20 best passers in the group stages.

Funny looking at our pass stats we could very easily pick a 12 man squad that would probably include who, nearly everyone sees, as our best 12 players (just need a keeper)

Should go back to the 1900's and have a selection committee not a manager.

As I said of course can try to improve it but it's really not the bee all, end all at international level.

Wales won with just 36% possesion v Turkey and they weren't troubled that much. And as I mentioned before Sweden got that 0-0 with Spain with 20%. They also beat Poland 3-2 with 33%! Both of those have those have many who can pass a ball at club level aswell.

28 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Gilmour's a decent player who could be anything and yes he played well v England but we should haud wur hoarses. Talk of him going out on loan to the English Championship so the people who know him best don't think he's top drawer yet. Give him a chance.

I've seen talk of him going to Norwich or Wolves but not the championship? Can't see him dropping lower than the Premier League

Edited by csinclair

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Gilmour's a decent player who could be anything and yes he played well v England but we should haud wur hoarses. Talk of him going out on loan to the English Championship so the people who know him best don't think he's top drawer yet. Give him a chance.

You having a giraffe?

He’s got more chance of playing in the champions league than the championship 

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Due for a medical at Norwich according to SSN for season long loan. He should form an understanding with Hanley in terms of receiving the ball from defence. McLean too of course. 

The style of play will suit him

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Due for a medical at Norwich according to SSN for season long loan. He should form an understanding with Hanley in terms of receiving the ball from defence. McLean too of course. 

Probably a direct replacement for McLean who isn't quite good enough for the EPL