Billy Gilmour - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, weekevie04 said:

I'd keep the same shape/team. 

Leave McTominay in defence. 

I wonder if he'll find a way for Christie - not sure at all I want him starting. 

Only way I could see that happening is if he dropped Mcginn backed and he played Christie as the forward midfield player.

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt Clarke will have a “fuck it” attitude to this game. 

Yeah I'm wondering if the Czech game will make him more cautious in that if you offered him 0-0 at 70 minutes would he take it?  

We've got to beat the World Cup finalists, albeit at home and they've noticeably aged, to progress whereas Croatia have to beat a team ranked 40 odd in the world.  I'm thinking we'll play on the counter attack rather than front foot.  

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah I'm wondering if the Czech game will make him more cautious in that if you offered him 0-0 at 70 minutes would he take it?  

We've got to beat the World Cup finalists, albeit at home and they've noticeably aged, to progress whereas Croatia have to beat a team ranked 40 odd in the world.  I'm thinking we'll play on the counter attack rather than front foot.  

Going for it is the only way we are going to give ourselves a chance to qualify. 

They have more quality than us, so if we sit back we will struggle to get a grip of the game. 

We have more pace and physicality and continuing the in their faces brazen attitude from the England game is definitely the way to go, especially without our most technically gifted and possibly influential player in BG. 

8 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We will have to be attacking as we need a win but Clarke will do it his own way.

There is no point in going all out attack though as unless we score a couple of early goals we will just be leaving ourselves open to what is still a very good team. 

6 minutes ago, phart said:

Yeah, unlucky but lucky at the same time, could have been a lot worse. Wonder who he caught it off mind you.

Doubt it will be a false positive .The false positive rate is something like 0.03% for one test. Then they would have done a PCR to confirm i imagine.

Something must have gone wrong somewhere for him to catch it when they're supposed to be in a bubble.  We're in our first tournament in yonks so we're probably learning on the hoof a bit but hopefully it would give the SFA lessons to learn from in terms of creating an improvement culture.  

In terms of tomorrow if you'd offered me before a ball had been kicked being in a position where we would get through probably with any win vs a Croatian side struggling on the same points as us with 25 out of 26 players available - I'd have been tempted to take it.  

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Big blow but some folk need to get a serious grip on reality. He's Billy Gilmour, no Lionel Messi. Give the rest of the squad at least some credit and let's not place unrealistic pressure on Gilmour. Boy has played one game and folk are already losing their shit because he's missing his second game. No doubting the boy has huge promise but the other players will need to step up - just like they'd have to do even with Gilmour in the team. 

For me, I'd drop O'Donnell into the back 3, move McTominay into Gilmour's space and play someone more attacking in the right wing-back role.

Gilmour being out doesn't change things for me that much. He'd have brought serious class to the midfield but the overall tactics barely change. If McTominay (or Armstrong) can impose themselves in midfield I think we'll be good. Care more about tactics than I do about any one player right now.

Great post..👍

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Going for it is the only way we are going to give ourselves a chance to qualify. 

They have more quality than us, so if we sit back we will struggle to get a grip of the game. 

We have more pace and physicality and continuing the in their faces brazen attitude from the England game is definitely the way to go, especially without our most technically gifted and possibly influential player in BG. 

Don't disagree but there was definitely an element of naivety in the Czech performance that we can't afford to brush under the carpet because they scored from the halfway line.  We'll need to be patient and not freak out if it is nil nil at 60 minutes.  

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Something must have gone wrong somewhere for him to catch it when they're supposed to be in a bubble. 

Neither Scottish clubs nor our hierarchy have shown much gumption in managing covid amongst players whilst still screeching for fans to be allowed back however bad the infection rates. But hey.

My fear is a repeat of 1988 - opening defeat, plucky draw, all on the last game and we have a serious hangover and get thumped. Can't see us getting thumped this time (famous last...) but I wonder how much the England game took out of them?

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We will have to be attacking as we need a win but Clarke will do it his own way.

There is no point in going all out attack though as unless we score a couple of early goals we will just be leaving ourselves open to what is still a very good team. 

Definitely a balancing act and don't want us parking the bus although would take 0-0 at half time now.  I think we can do it but there's a number of lessons to take from the Czech game we will have needed to have learnt.

Gilmour missing out tomorrow is a blow no doubt but the fact that we have several viable options available to replace him means it is not a fatal one. I'd like to see him stick with the same defence as the England game and plug Armstrong into the midfield

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Definitely a balancing act and don't want us parking the bus although would take 0-0 at half time now.  I think we can do it but there's a number of lessons to take from the Czech game we will have needed to have learnt.

There are lessons to be learnt from the England game as well.  It was a tremendous effort and the midfield bossed it. I don't what to detract from any of that. However we were caught out defensively on a few occasions. I remember McTominay losing possession round the box, Stones had a free header that smacked the woodwork, couple of balls over the top and better finishing could have seen us three down.

If Stuart Armstrong plays in central midfield then we might as well give Croatia all three points.

Armstrong, all he does is get his head down and dribble forward and more times than not, he loses possession. McGinn does that (and maintains possession), far better. Armstrong would be fine if we played with wingers or as a number 10 or a false 9. In other words, keep him the hell away from the center of midfield. 

I now have zero interest in this match. It might change tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

If Stuart Armstrong plays in central midfield then we might as well give Croatia all three points.

Armstrong, all he does is get his head down and dribble forward and more times than not, he loses possession. McGinn does that (and maintains possession), far better. Armstrong would be fine if we played with wingers or as a number 10 or a false 9. In other words, keep him the hell away from the center of midfield. 

I now have zero interest in this match. It might change tomorrow. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣grow up man and enjoy the day tomorrow 

4 hours ago, Instant coffee said:

Surely there are grounds for a false positive if everyone of the Scotland and England players test negative? Can we not test again?

Sounds like a false positive trumps a million negatives.

TBH as frustrating as it is elite athletes have been able to play around Europe because of the strict regime. 

J

4 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

When we lost fleck it was our choice to stop 6 others playing.

We have tested 25 others - negative. 

We have been told that nobody else needs to self isolate.

All players trained today and are available tomorrow.

I'll stick to the facts and everyone else can carry on with made up rubbish and complete speculation. 

the facts are that gilmour was playing table tennis with Andy Robertson in a now deleted video.  I think that counts as close contact unless they were playing with different balls.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

"You wish I would"

Ok. Indulge me. What do you want me to change the record" about?

You’re the most boring troll here, an aggressive little attention seeking bairn. Do everyone a favour and sod off for the 12th time. 

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

the facts are that gilmour was playing table tennis with Andy Robertson in a now deleted video.  I think that counts as close contact unless they were playing with different balls.

In the video Gilmour brushed past McGinn. There was contact.