Billy Gilmour - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

The only thing I don’t want to see happen as a consequence of this, is McGinn being dropped back into a defensive role.

Sad as it is to say, in recent times he’s been one of our main goal threats and obviously we need goals on this game. 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Marky said:

The only thing I don’t want to see happen as a consequence of this, is McGinn being dropped back into a defensive role.

Sad as it is to say, in recent times he’s been one of our main goal threats and obviously we need goals on this game. 

We have options...

1) McGinn drop deeper and Armstrong / Christie come in as attacking midfielder

2) McTominay goes back to midfield and we bring another centre half in.

Its a bitter blow, but not end of world

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's the only player in the squad that could pass the in the same sort of manner for 90 minutes, and demand as much of the ball.

I'd trust Tierney more in that role

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He's the only player in the squad that could pass the in the same sort of manner for 90 minutes, and demand as much of the ball.

Yeah. I remember suggesting that (and being laughed at it) a number of years ago.

He has the passing, the pressing, the energy, the presence as well as the quality.

Steve Clarke has shown that he isn't afraid to think outside the box. So hopefully he tries this one.

Or Tierney, if fit.

Edited by Taylor1996

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd trust Tierney more in that role

I'd trust both of them more than McGinn or Mctominay.  90 minutes of Mcginns passing and Mctominay avoiding the ball doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence, plus they are both more important in the positions they played against England.

Anyway won't happen, but in an infinite parallel universes you never know.

12 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's pretty simple- Cooper in for Tierney,-Tierney in for Robertson and Robertson in for Gilmour

Whit?! Am I missing something? You're going to move Robertson into Centre Midfield?! It wasn't so long ago folk we're lamenting that Robertson couldn't replicate his Liverpool form for Scotland and even questioned whether he should be dropped in favour of Tierney. 

IMO, Robertson has been one of our main attacking threats in both our games and has justified his pick as captain and the left wingback. Simultaneously, Tierney has shown what he brings to the back three and an attacking drive through the left/centre of the park. I think solving the Robertson/Tierney problem has been one of Clarke's big successes and no way should he consider tinkering with it.

If we're being honest, Robertson's key skills are his pace, overlapping runs and crossing. Without being critical, throwing him in the centre of the park and asking him to control the game is a disaster waiting to happen. If anything, Tierney is far better suited to moving into centre but given we have good cover for central midfield anyway, Gilmour dropping out should have minimal impact. 

IMO, left side is sorted, back three is sorted, centre midfield is easily sorted. Legitimate criticisms aside, Dykes and Adams did enough to convince me strikers are sorted. The only open question is how we create a similar threat down the right as we have down the left.

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's pretty simple- Cooper in for Tierney,-Tierney in for Robertson and Robertson in for Gilmour

I don’t think it’s that simple at all and I doubt this will happen. McTominay into midfield and Cooper at centre half would be my guess. 

Will certainly be interesting to see what Clarke does. 

4 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Whit?! Am I missing something? You're going to move Robertson into Centre Midfield?! It wasn't so long ago folk we're lamenting that Robertson couldn't replicate his Liverpool form for Scotland and even questioned whether he should be dropped in favour of Tierney. 

IMO, Robertson has been one of our main attacking threats in both our games and has justified his pick as captain and the left wingback. Simultaneously, Tierney has shown what he brings to the back three and an attacking drive through the left/centre of the park. I think solving the Robertson/Tierney problem has been one of Clarke's big successes and no way should he consider tinkering with it.

If we're being honest, Robertson's key skills are his pace, overlapping runs and crossing. Without being critical, throwing him in the centre of the park and asking him to control the game is a disaster waiting to happen. If anything, Tierney is far better suited to moving into centre but given we have good cover for central midfield anyway, Gilmour dropping out should have minimal impact. 

IMO, left side is sorted, back three is sorted, centre midfield is easily sorted. Legitimate criticisms aside, Dykes and Adams did enough to convince me strikers are sorted. The only open question is how we create a similar threat down the right as we have down the left.

Honestly don't think we have any out and out midfield cover for Gilmour. We have decent midfield players but the thing about Gilmour was that he was always available, always demanding the ball, and rarely misplacing a pass none of the others do that. Those three points also apply to Robertson, that is what he does.

Anyway it won't happen but I can think of worse formations.

3 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I might be missing something but I don’t see how practically the whole team and management team wouldn’t be close contacts?!

like the whole Spain squad had to isolate just before the Euros 

of course I hope I’m wrong 

Someone fudging the system by making up he went straight to bed after the England game 

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Honestly don't think we have any out and out midfield cover for Gilmour. We have decent midfield players but the thing about Gilmour was that he was always available, always demanding the ball, and rarely misplacing a pass none of the others do that. Those three points also apply to Robertson, that is what he does.

Anyway it won't happen but I can think of worse formations.

Stick turnbull in 

Fuck it, just do it 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think it’s that simple at all and I doubt this will happen. McTominay into midfield and Cooper at centre half would be my guess. 

Will certainly be interesting to see what Clarke does. 

It won't happen but I do think we need to leave McTominay in defence. I am beginning to think he isn't as good a midfielder as some think especially with out Fred beside him.

Clarke will probably start the same 11 as the first game with McGregor in for Armstrong.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It won't happen but I do think we need to leave McTominay in defence. I am beginning to think he isn't as good a midfielder as some think especially with out Fred beside him.

Clarke will probably start the same 11 as the first game with McGregor in for Armstrong.

He is a good midfielder but it would be all on Tierney to bring us up the park 

If we revert to long ball it's over 

As much as I love Scott McTominay, he doesn't stamp his authority in midfield as much as he could. He is a good midfielder, but he seems to be better in defence when he has more time on the ball.

He hasn't played well in midfield for Scotland. 

I have hope that McTominay will improve in that area. He needs a few one-on-one sessions with Roy Keane.

If you compare his press-resistence to that of Gilmour, it's night and day. Gilmour can take the ball when a man is touch-tight.

He's had a handful of matches where he has been excellent in midfield for United. But it's not consistent enough.

As is it now, though, playing Robertson or Tierney in the double-pivot will give us balance.

Edited by Taylor1996

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You don’t think Tierney will play?

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

Serious questions about the fairness of their table tennis match?

Nah, the guy made a theoretical comment that they could've went to their room to phuck. I made a quip about it being expected (that they phucked)

But if you have to explain a joke it probably wasn't delivered very well. I can do better. ;)

18 minutes ago, runningtings said:

A lot of overthinking going on here, it's just going to be Armstrong in for Gilmour.

Unless he did for Celtic it's not a role he has played and I don't think he wants the ball in the way needed for a defensive midfielder or has the passing range.

It's why I have suggested our left backs and Robertson in particular. Robertson quite often has the most possession of the ball in Liverpool games and always has  good pass success rate. 

Fleck can play there but is pretty average and I don't think any of us know exactly how Turnbull would perform in the position. The rest of the midfielders look like totally different players to what we need.

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Got to take the positive that we seem to have 25 out of 26 in training for tomorrow.  I'd rather Gilmour was available but we've a couple of decent options to consider.  

Yeah, unlucky but lucky at the same time, could have been a lot worse. Wonder who he caught it off mind you.

Doubt it will be a false positive .The false positive rate is something like 0.03% for one test. Then they would have done a PCR to confirm i imagine.