Billy Gilmour - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

If he looks better than other midfield options against Holland and Luxembourg then I'm pretty sure he'll be in the starting lineup come the finals.

That's what I was thinking, too.

I think he'll start against Holland.

1 hour ago, gonzohiggy said:

He’s an excellent passer and I’m sure he’ll keep improving at it as well. Hes every bit as good at it as Jorginho that’s for sure. 

He’s not even remotely close to the Scholes and Pirlo level at the moment although very few players were / are.

You're comparing Scholes to Pirlo? Dearie me.

34 minutes ago, duncan II said:

You're comparing Scholes to Pirlo? Dearie me.

Actually, it was me. I didn't compare, I said that Pirlo and Scholes were the benchmark of a world class midfielder:

There is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own. He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.” – Zinedine Zidane

“I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears.” – Luis Figo

“In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.” –Xavi Hernandez

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley. When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He’s always on the ball, always turning on goal. He’s always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill.” – Sir Bobby Charlton

“He’s always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me ‘what’s he like’? They respect him as a footballer and see him as the ultimate.” –David Beckham

“Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Scholes. He knows how to do everything, and he is one who directs the way his team plays. On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength and he is a genuine competitor.” – Thierry Henry

“I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?” – Ronaldinho

“He’s the phenomenon.” – Ronaldo – The Brazilian one

When Zinedine Zidane was once asked in an interview, “What does it feel like to be the best player in the world?” The Frenchman replied, “I don’t know, ask Paul Scholes”

I'll take Zinedine Zidane's word over a forum troll.

39 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Actually, it was me. I didn't compare, I said that Pirlo and Scholes were the benchmark of a world class midfielder:

There is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own. He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.” – Zinedine Zidane

“I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch you can’t catch him. Off the pitch he disappears.” – Luis Figo

“In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything. He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.” –Xavi Hernandez

“I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It’s Paul Scholes. Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley. When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He’s always on the ball, always turning on goal. He’s always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill.” – Sir Bobby Charlton

“He’s always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me ‘what’s he like’? They respect him as a footballer and see him as the ultimate.” –David Beckham

“Without any doubt the best player in the Premiership has to be Scholes. He knows how to do everything, and he is one who directs the way his team plays. On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength and he is a genuine competitor.” – Thierry Henry

When Zinedine Zidane was once asked in an interview, “What does it feel like to be the best player in the world?” The Frenchman replied, “I don’t know, ask Paul Scholes”

Didn’t you mean to use your roverboy login for that post? 😉

7 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Didn’t you mean to use your roverboy login for that post? 😉

Why on earth would I need another simultaneous log in? To talk to myself? To agree with myself? 

Mate, I'm not here to make friends and influence people. I'm here to air my opinions. If people want to comment on my posts; more than welcome.

Anyway.

Enough baseless paranoia by the lunatic TAMB minority

Newcastle are looking to loan Billy Gilmour for next season.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Jings. He was a good player. Seems a bizarre choice to use as an example of one of the best midfielders. There has been an enormous amount of revisionism about Scholes. Anyway, regardless of my feelings about the quality of the player, he was not in any way comparable to Pirlo, whose range of passing and ability to make room for himself and control the tempo of a game is not how I see Scholes’s legacy. I’m sure you’ll tell me I’m wrong, though.

4 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Jings. He was a good player. Seems a bizarre choice to use as an example of one of the best midfielders. There has been an enormous amount of revisionism about Scholes. Anyway, regardless of my feelings about the quality of the player, he was not in any way comparable to Pirlo, whose range of passing and ability to make room for himself and control the tempo of a game is not how I see Scholes’s legacy. I’m sure you’ll tell me I’m wrong, though.

Nope. 

You're not wrong.

Just now, duncan II said:

You’re just saying that to be contrary! 😆

;)

No. I actually would.

Pirlo was one of those players that just made the game look ridiculously effortless and that he had an inbuilt radar.

Offer me peak Scholes or peak Pirlo, Pirlo would get my pick 10 out of 10 times. 

Saying that, though, I'd probably take peak Zidane over either of them. ;)

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

;)

No. I actually would.

Pirlo was one of those players that just made the game look ridiculously effortless and that he had an inbuilt radar.

Offer me peak Scholes or peak Pirlo, Pirlo would get my pick 10 out of 10 times. 

Saying that, though, I'd probably take peak Zidane over either of them. ;)

I have a bald patch now just like his one of old. True story.

19 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Clarke has to show some testicles on Monday. Drop mcrgegor and play gilmour with mcginn and mctominay 

I think he will start mcgregor and if the game is not going our way at half time bring gilmour on

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

There is a moment in that 2nd video where he does a sliding interception in the middle of the park. I don't think I've ever seen McGregor do that. 

The one game in the last few years where I've seen McGregor getting stuck in and making tackles was against Rangers and he was red carded after half an hour. I think McGregor, in general, knows his limitations and that is why he always keeps it safe. I think it's really only recently that McGregor is finally being criticised for what he doesn't bring to the team. It's not so much that McGregor plays poorly, it's more that he rarely, if ever, contributes anything note worthy.

I know I bang this drum a lot, but it is more pertinent than ever, because we have a world class player in Gilmour that already should be playing ahead of him.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps something, perhaps nothing. But Gilmour being subbed seemed like wapping him in cotton wool for the bigger matches ahead. He was not concussed evidently as he sat in the stands for the rest of the match not being checked for concussion.

That was my thinking too 😂. If it was only to 'get minutes into his legs' they'd have waited for the concussion check and he'd have been back on. He's playing. Clarke must have shat himself when Gilmour got clattered. Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay are the 3 midfield nail-ins for me. Room for 2 more in the attacking areas.

5 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

That was my thinking too 😂. If it was only to 'get minutes into his legs' they'd have waited for the concussion check and he'd have been back on. He's playing. Clarke must have shat himself when Gilmour got clattered. Gilmour, McGinn and McTominay are the 3 midfield nail-ins for me. Room for 2 more in the attacking areas.

Exactly. Concussion checks can be done in thirty seconds. Its a matter of the doc checking the eyes and asking questions to see the person has all the faculties about them and all clear to go back on after that. If not you do not let them sit up in the stands for the rest of the match.

It is sad as it is now clear Gilmour should be in for the added attacking threat he brings and the dynamism. Maybe this is one of those tough decisions Clarke spoke of that he now has to make. Lets hope he takes the bold (and correct step) not the conservative and safe decision. This will sound 'out there' but even if Clarke still feels McGregor undroppable then I'd slot him in instead of McTominay who was very disappointing yesterday.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exactly. Concussion checks can be done in thirty seconds. Its a matter of the doc checking the eyes and asking questions to see the person has all the faculties about them and all clear to go back on after that. If not you do not let them sit up in the stands for the rest of the match.

It is sad as it is now clear Gilmour should be in for the added attacking threat he brings and the dynamism. Maybe this is one of those tough decisions Clarke spoke of that he now has to make. Lets hope he takes the bold (and correct step) not the conservative and safe decision. This will sound 'out there' but even if Clarke still feels McGregor undroppable then I'd slot him in instead of McTominay who was very disappointing yesterday.

McTominay was poor yesterday and McGinn was relatively quiet. The difference is that McTominay at his best gets man of the match in European finals, and McGinn at his best will drag us to victories. Both have cash in the bank to ensure they keep their place. McGregor at his best gets pass marks. Maybe that is too harsh on him, but Gilmour has already proven himself against some of the best teams in world football e.g Liverpool and Man City. Lampard and Tuchel trust him in big games. I hope Clarke will, too.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

McTominay was poor yesterday and McGinn was relatively quiet.

It was odd as I reckon all of those outfield players that missed the Netherlands game all had a quiet or disappointing game. That was McTominay, McGinn, O'Donnell and Hanley. To be fair to McGinn he got stronger/better as the game went on but the rest were meh.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

McTominay was poor yesterday and McGinn was relatively quiet. The difference is that McTominay at his best gets man of the match in European finals, and McGinn at his best will drag us to victories. Both have cash in the bank to ensure they keep their place. McGregor at his best gets pass marks. Maybe that is too harsh on him, but Gilmour has already proven himself against some of the best teams in world football e.g Liverpool and Man City. Lampard and Tuchel trust him in big games. I hope Clarke will, too.

Absolutely agree re. Gilmour having proven himself. He was one of the best players on the park when he came into the starting line-up against Man City; zero chance McGregor would look remotely at that level if he was thrown into that fixture.

It was ear-bleeding stuff listening to the dinosaur Willie Miller on Sportsound imply picking McGregor for the Czech game was a no-brainer. He's clearly exhausted, been out-of-form for over a year and does little to affect the outcome of games. McGregor complements Jack when both in the team, otherwise Gilmour is the obvious choice.