Billy Gilmour - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Billy Gilmour

Taylor1996

43 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I thought he did well.

68 touches (4th most for Chelsea). It doesn't always seem the case, as he sees the big picture so quickly and he passes it so quickly.

48 successful passes (87.3% success rate)

In terms of technique and passing, he's our best midfielder. 

I’m not disputing the last line, but the stats aren’t really telling the story there. 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I thought he did well.

68 touches (4th most for Chelsea). It doesn't always seem the case, as he sees the big picture so quickly and he passes it so quickly.

48 successful passes (87.3% success rate)

In terms of technique and passing, he's our best midfielder. 

Totally agree.He is by far our most technically gifted player.His game awareness is fantastic,and he has what all great players have,.the ability to see a pass ahead,and so he is able to adapt to the situation he is in and play the correct pass.Just think it would be such a wasted chance,if Steve Clarke doesn't put him in the squad.He might just be a young player who could blossom at the euros.We have enough players who will work hard,but nobody else with the talent of Billy Gilmour.He should simply be too talented to leave out of a squad of 26

Didnt do anything wrong but also didnt do anything particuarly eye catching today. Kept the ball moving well.

Did do any of his usual slipped passes between the lines today. Maybe that was the instructions, maybe he just wanted to play it safe.

Still feel he sits off players too much in semi dangerous positions. Abit like McTom but hopefully that will improve with experience.

12 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

No they aren't.

I did he did well considering that he's on the periphery since Touchel came in.

He wasn’t really involved in the game beyond doing his mandatory duties, which he did fine. It was not a ‘taking the game by the scruff of the neck’ performance. If he can stay in the team for the remaining league games, he will have a chance of the Euros, of course.  He was hampered in that Fulham had a player posted in the area he would normally receive the ball in, so Chelsea tended to avoid that area. Maybe that is a compliment, but I doubt if it was a personnel-specific tactic from the away team.

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He wasn’t really involved in the game beyond doing his mandatory duties, which he did fine. It was not a ‘taking the game by the scruff of the neck’ performance. If he can stay in the team for the remaining league games, he will have a chance of the Euros, of course.  He was hampered in that Fulham had a player posted in the area he would normally receive the ball in, so Chelsea tended to avoid that area. Maybe that is a compliment, but I doubt if it was a personnel-specific tactic from the away team.

And also worthy of note that he didn't get subbed.

The player ratings I saw had him third best Chelsea player on the day. The discipline in that Tuchel team is such that if he was still on the pitch, he was following his instructions perfectly. Retained possession and kept it moving from the middle to both wings, rather than, as noted above, attempting forward passes through the lines of the Fulham press. He's exactly what we we need for Scotland. McGinn, Christie and others all have a wee bit more to offer in forward areas and are more likely to lose possession.  Gilmour and McTominay have the ability to recycle the ball and retain possession, giving our defenders some respite, against the best players in the world. 

44 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The player ratings I saw had him third best Chelsea player on the day. The discipline in that Tuchel team is such that if he was still on the pitch, he was following his instructions perfectly. Retained possession and kept it moving from the middle to both wings, rather than, as noted above, attempting forward passes through the lines of the Fulham press. He's exactly what we we need for Scotland. McGinn, Christie and others all have a wee bit more to offer in forward areas and are more likely to lose possession.  Gilmour and McTominay have the ability to recycle the ball and retain possession, giving our defenders some respite, against the best players in the world. 

Did you watch the game? 

Anyone who watched the game will have the view that the game passed him by and he probably didn’t do much to push himself into the frame for the next game.

He didn’t play badly but barring the little touches which result in the info the stat lovers wank over, he didn’t really do very much in the game offensively or defensively.

Its good he started but playing like that Tuchel is probably correct in having him down the pecking order to be honest. 

Having said that, I’d have him in a 26 for the Euros and certainly would have him in the 30-35 man preliminary squad prior to cutting down to 26. 

4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Not every minute, was busy around the house. I would agree he didn't do any standout stuff but was always tidy in possession and well positioned from what I saw. 

Fair enough, I just hope he can keep his place, as he’d certainly be in my squad if match sharp enough.  

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Anyone who watched the game will have the view that the game passed him by and he probably didn’t do much to push himself into the frame for the next game.

He didn’t play badly but barring the little touches which result in the info the stat lovers wank over, he didn’t really do very much in the game offensively or defensively.

Its good he started but playing like that Tuchel is probably correct in having him down the pecking order to be honest. 

Having said that, I’d have him in a 26 for the Euros and certainly would have him in the 30-35 man preliminary squad prior to cutting down to 26. 

You one of the posters who wanked of over his control of the ball for the third last touch that lead to a goal in his previous game?

Was a pretty good performance for a not match fit defensive midfielder, and we don't have any of them.

If we want McTominay in defence we need him beside McGinn if we want McGinn further forward we want him beside McTominay. Only alternative is McTominay beside McGinn.

Much as I like Kenny McLean( the only other possibility for a defensive midfielder) Gilmour has to be in the squad for the two friendlies at least.

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I have not seen alot of Gilmour, but I like what I read, I would bring him in. One question I do have though. Is he quick? 

No.

But was Xavi or Iniesta quick?

The biggest misconceptions about football is that players have to be quick. How quick was Davie Cooper? Teddy Sheringham? Mathew Le Tissier? Gary McAllister? John Collins? 

I'd rather have a player whose mind is quick.

Billy Gilmour sees the big picture at the same rate as the aforementioned players. 

Oliver Burke is the quickest Scotland players I have ever seen... and yet...

4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I agree, but it's become an actual thing 😟

It’s one straight for the ‘wanky phrase’ thread. 

Win the ball, drive, create, score. 

That’s all I want midfielders to do. 

6 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

The main issue with our squad is we only have one midfield who can win the ball. And he's injured. The rest just ball watch.

23 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

There's room for slowing the game down at times. Moving across the pitch to look for opportunities. When I grew up at Rugby Park it was all old guys screaming to 'get it fuurrit!' 😂

There's a reason why the big teams have players like Busquets, Rodri, Kante, Fabinho, Kimmich, Kroos, De Jong.

It's not a new thing. There was Dunga, Dechamps, Keane (2.0), Lambert, Makelele, Gattuso, Pirlo, Vieria, etc, in the past.

Recycling the ball is a thing. You need a metradomic figure in midfield. Is Gilmour in that mould? Yes. I'm a massive fan of Scott McTominay, but Billy Gilmour sees the big picture so much faster.

4 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Metradomic?!?! Is that some kind of free paper reading, leather booted, whip wielding seller of pleasure?

Look at a grandfather clock, or any clock that is freestanding. The pendulum is a metradome.

It keeps things at a certain rhythm. Musicians practice with a metradome to keep to regular pulse.

In other words: it keeps things ticking over and it sets the tone.

8 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

I know, just having a laugh to myself as the spelling police ..... 😄...... it’s a nome by the way, not a dome.

Who's the spelling police?

Is that supposed to be me? Yeah. I'll donate £1k to charity if you can direct me to a post of me correcting someone's typo.

Mate, I average about 5 typos a post. lol

Edited by Taylor1996